SaxMan

Sad, but good...

Well I was just told that I am not allowed to install my own equipment when I get it. The reason is because of my warrenty. But I will be taking all my stuff to a car audio install place. I will try and ask them if I can watch but when I get home I'm going to be tuning it myself and double checking the wiring just in case.

My dad.

Well, if everybody says their opinion about car audio shops in general in this thread and then you show him this thread.

Maybe he will change his mind.

Most car audio shops don't install correctly, and the good ones are hard to find.

And most of the shops that say they are proffesional aren't.

PS, i would be surprised if they would let you watch while they are installing.

My dad.

lol.

Check with the equipment manufacturers. There's usually nothing that says "if you install this, you lose your warranty!"

I think you will have a hard time finding a shop that will let you in the install area, due to liability reasons. Maybe best buy? I know the one down here has seating in the install area...

Honestly I would avoid most install places based off my own experience.

many mainstream companies state something like if you install it, it's covered by 1 yr but if an authorized shop installs it, it's 3 yr warranty.

Companies that we deal with online don't have that type of warranty policy.

warranty on the equipment, or the car itself?

My dad is worried about the cars warrenty. The car will hopefully be a 2009 so the warrenty will still be new. I'll find out the specifics when we get the car. I plan on having do the install if I'm forced to and then just look it over and redue most of it lol. I'm going to tune the amp an rewore the sub. It's mostly so I can say "they did it" if something is wrong.

I'm not overly familiar with new car warranties, but I would presume that having aftermarket audio equipment installed could void portions of the warranty regardless if it was installed by a professional or not as long as the auto company deems the modifications have to conflicted with the operation of the original equipment or to have been the cause of the problems.

And I would say good luck trying to get any $ out of a car audio shop if your warranty is denied because of something they installed, they'd probably just say you changed something after they installed it.

I'm not overly familiar with new car warranties, but I would presume that having aftermarket audio equipment installed could void portions of the warranty regardless if it was installed by a professional or not as long as the auto company deems the modifications have to conflicted with the operation of the original equipment or to have been the cause of the problems.

Only if the modifications are the cause of the problem. Like, they can't say that because your air conditioner goes out its not covered because you have an aftermarket system. This is due to the Magnesum-Moss act. Now, if your alternator, or something to do with the charging system went out, I wouldn't look for it to be covered unless you tried to cover the fact that you had an aftermarket system installed.

And I would say good luck trying to get any $ out of a car audio shop if your warranty is denied because of something they installed, they'd probably just say you changed something after they installed it.

Which he is already stating that he plans on doing. Personally, if I was going to have a shop do the work, I would leave it alone if it sounds good. I've heard stories of people leaving an installer, coming back twenty minutes later and saying that they're sub is blown. When the installer has a look at it, the person turned the gains up to the max. To the OP, it sounds like you don't have a lot of experience with car audio, it also sounds like your dad is paying for everything. If a shop does it, I would leave it alone, because if the shop does warranty it, that is going to be void if you go and start messing with everything they did.

Which he is already stating that he plans on doing. Personally, if I was going to have a shop do the work, I would leave it alone if it sounds good. I've heard stories of people leaving an installer, coming back twenty minutes later and saying that they're sub is blown. When the installer has a look at it, the person turned the gains up to the max. To the OP, it sounds like you don't have a lot of experience with car audio, it also sounds like your dad is paying for everything. If a shop does it, I would leave it alone, because if the shop does warranty it, that is going to be void if you go and start messing with everything they did.

1. he will just pay for the install. and 2. yeah i probably should just leave it alone and if it is blown then i can have then buy me new parts. im just pissed that i cant install it on my own.

Edited by WhatsCS

1. he will just pay for the install.

So your paying for that '09 vehicle your getting, that your dad is worried about the warranty on?

Only if the modifications are the cause of the problem. Like, they can't say that because your air conditioner goes out its not covered because you have an aftermarket system. This is due to the Magnesum-Moss act. Now, if your alternator, or something to do with the charging system went out, I wouldn't look for it to be covered unless you tried to cover the fact that you had an aftermarket system installed.

It's Magnuson-Moss ;)

But yes, it won't invalidate the entire warranty which is why I said "portions". I would imagine it would be more difficult getting electrical problems warrantied or anything that could be construed as having been damaged as a result of "excessive vibration" from the stereo system.

1. he will just pay for the install.

So your paying for that '09 vehicle your getting, that your dad is worried about the warranty on?

GAH! we are trading in a car, and then using that and what ever we need to pay off the car, then im going to buy the $1,300 system to put in it. and dont drill me cause im not buying my car with my money. we arent rich. we will be drilling the guy to sell it for 14,000 hopefully 13,000 but i doubt it.

alright i decided to breathe new life into this thread, what should i tell the installers? should i tell them the Ohm i want the sub set to, the volume, gain, etc.?

alright i decided to breathe new life into this thread, what should i tell the installers? should i tell them the Ohm i want the sub set to, the volume, gain, etc.?

Hopefully they will not need your advice. If they do you are in deep shit friend and should search for a different installer.

Always check behind them, but if you go in there trying to big league someone trying to do their job, I will guarantee you will have a mess.

Hopefully they will not need your advice. If they do you are in deep shit friend and should search for a different installer.

Always check behind them, but if you go in there trying to big league someone trying to do their job, I will guarantee you will have a mess.

alright, just wanted to make sure, i will tell them though that it is a D2 sub, they might want to know that lol

Where do you live?

I don't like the look of that place.

I am 99% sure that installing your own system will have ZERO effect on your warranty.

My dad sold Chevy's for years and I worked in the back, and we would often get truck and cars with systems and we'd be doing warranty work on them.

I am 99% sure that installing your own system will have ZERO effect on your warranty.

My dad sold Chevy's for years and I worked in the back, and we would often get truck and cars with systems and we'd be doing warranty work on them.

alright ill look into the warranty, my only problem would be finding out how to do the Big 3 and feed the wires through the firewall. im not handy at that but i think my friend could help me, he and his dad are huge car guys.

Edited by WhatsCS

Judging a book by its cover?

The warranty would only be voided on parts that would be affected by improper installation, at least thats how it should be.

It seems to suffer the same way most shops suffer....... Everything they make is to just look pretty. And As far as I can tell it's all improper enclosures with very improper ports.

I learned my lesson having a shop install my stuff never again. theres enough information and tutorial videos on the internet for you to install your system yourself.

I say your best bet is to look for a forum thats specifically about your car. Thats what i did for my RSX, i was able to find pictures and all kinds of information of what did or didnt fit in my car.

Plus you'll feel real good knowing you installed all your stuff yourself.