mikemihai

WHO WOULD WIN? SSA XCON 18" VS FI BTL 18" VS digital designs D

HOTTT TOPIC: WHO WOULD WIN? SSA XCON 18" VS FI BTL 18" VS digital designs DD9518g VS Incriminator audio's DeathPenalty 18"

I like the XCON's they are my number one pick right now, B/C I can afford at least one of them sometime this year and all i read about them is great, but what about the other brands?

I am looking for: (In preference order)

-Sound quality 1st

-Loudness 2nd

-size of subwoofer 18" or 15".... maybe just maybe a 12" but i have a feeling that would sacrifice too much loudness for only a minor increase in sound quality.

please feel free to recommend any other sub brands and models i should look at, im not buying anything as of yet.

I am only looking for a future upgrade, so far i have been pleased with my FI 15"BL, was good for rap, hit low, good with some rock and techno/house, however i think i want something louder, and with more clarity, the clarity on that BL was not the greatest, smaller sized subs with less power sound more clear i've come to notice, but small sized subs are not loud at all so i still want my subs to be loud, yet clear. Help me out with some Ideas guys.

I welcome anyone to post as many comments as possible, all ideas welcome even if you think its stupid, please post it. I need feedback. And recommandations to outperform (by a mile) my 15"FI BL, also for clarity, would Sundown be the clearest i see they are powerful at 12v and everyone loves them BUT is there a better brand or equivalent brand in quality and clarity but more affordable. Hifonics worked ok for me with my 15"FiBL. But I'm sure theres better out there, so please give me some imput on some good amp brands too. I'm thinking of moving up the ladder from hifonics, since not so many people like em.

Thank you all!

P.S. Quality over Quantity

Edited by mikemihai

XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.

I also think you should add Ascendant Audio Havoc to the list. From what I've heard, they are around the same price as the XCONS :)

XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.XCON.

I also think you should add Ascendant Audio Havoc to the list. From what I've heard, they are around the same price as the XCONS :)

Your dumb

And to answer.

DD = Loudest on meter

Fi = Loudest to ear

SSA = Best Sound

Put a DD Z18 on that list, a Funky Pup, oh and a Sony XPLOD on that list too. They're all similar acording to you.

Put a DD Z18 on that list, a Funky Pup, oh and a Sony XPLOD on that list too. They're all similar acording to you.

noo-1.jpg

Fear the Pup!

A funky pup once ate Chuck Norris for breakfast.

mikemihai, where you located at in illinois?

I recently strapped 2 hifonics brz2400.1's to a dual 4 ohm sony explode 10 freeair and it slammed for almost 4 seconds.the copper coil litterally melted.I used 4 kinetic hc 2000's and a 640 amp power supply to ensure my amps were being fed.I wonder what I woulda hit on the spl meter for that 4 seconds lol.

VS ...topics ... :bull:

Well it sounds like you really know what you want and have done your research on all these. I would just buy 2 of whatever costs the most, put them in the smallest box you can build and strap 2 sundown 4500d's on them.

peepwall.gifDo some research, please, and come back with a better question !!!

If you don't know what you want/like, how can we help you ?

All these subs are great, but they do not have the same goals.

If you like your bl, but wants to be louder, get another bl, or a btl !

Personally, I love my SSA Xcon, but that's me. What will you like ? Dunno!

HOTTT TOPIC: WHO WOULD WIN? SSA XCON 18" VS FI BTL 18" VS digital designs DD9518g VS Incriminator audio's DeathPenalty 18"

-size of subwoofer 18" or 15".... maybe just maybe a 12" but i have a feeling that would sacrifice too much loudness for only a minor increase in sound quality.

i dont know why you think that a 12 has better sound quality. To get to a certain spl level a 12 will have to move more, more excursion, because of a smaller cone area than an 18, therefore the 12 will be less linear and sound worse than the 18 at a given spl level. This is all very dependent on your box

Of the initial list, the Xcon does not belong in it at all. You need to take a moment figure out what your goals are, then come back with them and we can all work on finding the best route to take.

I really want people to stop trying to compare the Xcon and the BTL. The BTL is an all out, insanely high output driver that is built to withstand some unreal abuse, it is one of the premier SPL/ground pounder drivers made. The Xcon is built to take serious abuse too, but does not have the cooling or thermal capacity of the BTL. The Xcon is meant to take the "SQ" driver to the limits with higher then average power handling and major xmax.

Thank you. Really tired of people recommending xcons for all goals. lol.

OP, you probably are making up the fact that the BL doesn't have clarity. All I see from your posts is that you want loud. People really don't understand what sound quality is.

Thank you. Really tired of people recommending xcons for all goals. lol.

OP, you probably are making up the fact that the BL doesn't have clarity. All I see from your posts is that you want loud. People really don't understand what sound quality is.

The Xcon can fill a lot of needs, but it is not a purpose built SPL sub woofer, so I hope people can understand the distinction.

People really don't understand what sound quality is.

I know I don't. I have heard systems that sound pretty good, but as far as a "SQ" built system, I have no clue.

Well if sound quality is your first preference go with the SSA xcon. Or just upgrade to the btl since you are already familiar with Fi, thats what I plan to do eventually since i've got a BL

This thread couldn't be any dumber.

SQ and SPL are polar opposites.

Simply put here:

Buy the DD if you want a fartbox that gets loud

Buy the BTL if you really want loud for your own ears

Buy the Xcon if you want a great sounding sub that gets loud while still sounding stellar

One other rant, don't compare hardware compare your INSTALL. This is where the real difference is made. Splitting hairs on equipment will get you nowhere.

this is what you do....... :peepwall:

go ahead and get the DD......and the BTL

for an amp you will need a kicker warhorse...

make sure to run it at max gain tho......

then you will need a flux capacitor and a lab coat....plug the subs in make sure they are off phase run them full out lpf is for rookies...

make sure you have the electrical to back it :suicide-santa:

Edited by djteks

This is killing me. Let me add to this idiocy....

THE GROUND ZERO PLUTONIUM OWNS ALL

diameter: 38 cm / 15"

power handling: 5.000 WRMS

impedance: 4 x 1 ohm

voice coil: 100 mm / 4" flat wire

excursion: X max. 50 mm / 2"

resonance frequency: FS 32 Hz

SPL 2.83 V/m: 91,5 dB

additional: VOXR surround

triple spider

Here's two in a prefab sealed box trunk setup with stock electrical :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cehlpFxQgC0&feature=related

Edited by mr.sagat