slo2sixty

Warranty for SSD?

I purchased a ssd12 not too long ago(3/15/10) and it has stopped working. Amp is fine good power still. When it does feel like working it sounds like its bottoming out even when its barely on. What is the procedure for something like this? Thanks in advance!

You do realize the warranty does not cover misuse, abuse or anything you did to destroy that sub don't you? If you bought and starting using the sub back in March then the damage caused to the sub will definitely have been caused by user error. At this point you'll need to contact them about a recone and send it in for repair.

You do realize the warranty does not cover misuse, abuse or anything you did to destroy that sub don't you? If you bought and starting using the sub back in March then the damage caused to the sub will definitely have been caused by user error. At this point you'll need to contact them about a recone and send it in for repair.

:werd_msword:

Besides just getting it fixed you need to see what caused the sub to fail in the first place before it happens all over again after getting a recone.

I bet clipping the shit outta it and box is shitty. Just saying...

sounds like it has been bottomed out for it to sound like it.

SSDs are real particular about sticking to their suggested box sizes and to the power received.

Typically I do the following for any company and it works very well.

Go to their website and find a "contact us" email address.

Send an email explaining the application you are using the product for and the source of failure (if you know it). Be very specific about what you used it with, when you noticed the failure occurring and what sensory perceptions you experienced when it failed (sight, hearing, touch, smell, taste) and ask them what the best way is to remedy the problem.

DO NOT say it is their fault the product failed, DO NOT demand they fix it for free.

Generally, the company will be very willing to work with you, and possibly, even if it was likely your fault but it is still under warranty they will fix it for free. (minus 1-way shipping). If it wasn't your fault but was out of warranty they may give you a discount on something.

I had an expensive tweeter blow. I followed the steps above and the company concluded that it was most likely my fault and not the fault of their product. They fixed it free of charge and sent it back to me.

Typically I do the following for any company and it works very well.

Go to their website and find a "contact us" email address.

Send an email explaining the application you are using the product for and the source of failure (if you know it). Be very specific about what you used it with, when you noticed the failure occurring and what sensory perceptions you experienced when it failed (sight, hearing, touch, smell, taste) and ask them what the best way is to remedy the problem.

DO NOT say it is their fault the product failed, DO NOT demand they fix it for free.

Generally, the company will be very willing to work with you, and possibly, even if it was likely your fault but it is still under warranty they will fix it for free. (minus 1-way shipping). If it wasn't your fault but was out of warranty they may give you a discount on something.

I had an expensive tweeter blow. I followed the steps above and the company concluded that it was most likely my fault and not the fault of their product. They fixed it free of charge and sent it back to me.

The above is very true. There's usually a big, easy to notice difference between manufacturing defect and user error and whether anyone knows for sure which it is or not demanding that it be repaired under warranty is a quick way to guarantee they will not go out of their way to help you out. Like you said, you were nice, explained the problem and even though the conclusion was that it was your fault they were still nice enough to repair it for free. THAT is a great example of how the business relationship should go and just because yours went so well doesn't mean everyone's will, but if a person jumps them right off the bat they can throw it out the window for sure.

OP, do exactly as MKader has described and I can guarantee the fella's at Fi will take the best care of you they can within reason. I'm not saying they'll fix it for free, but if they would do anything special to help you out it will only be because you were courteous and respectful to start with and didn't hound them everyday demanding answers either.

Also as jay-cee said, finding the real problem that caused the failure is absolutely necessary or it will definitely happen again.

+1 to both of you

No clipping and the box is 1.05 cubes sealed with the sub im not an idiot, with the high qts option, and it took me a lil while to find the email for them. Told them exactly what i said here.

And it sounded fine with no problems then it stopped working. I'll pull the sub out tomorrow and inspect it.

I love how i ask a simple ? and almost everyone has to be a dick.

What is your ssf set to? And what Is the boxes tuning?

What is your ssf set to? And what Is the boxes tuning?

Sealed box at 1.05 cubes with sub displacement.

You think the sub broke on it's own? One day it decided to not work, because all hell would break loose if it was actually user error, the user that got the enclosure, the user that set the amplifier, the user that controls the volume knob, nah it wasn't your fault. I agree, the sub broke itself. :bandwagon2:

No clipping and the box is 1.05 cubes sealed with the sub im not an idiot, with the high qts option, and it took me a lil while to find the email for them. Told them exactly what i said here.

And it sounded fine with no problems then it stopped working. I'll pull the sub out tomorrow and inspect it.

I love how i ask a simple ? and almost everyone has to be a dick.

They're just trying to help you solve your problem the easiest way. You asked the question, you got answers.

You think the sub broke on it's own? One day it decided to not work, because all hell would break loose if it was actually user error, the user that got the enclosure, the user that set the amplifier, the user that controls the volume knob, nah it wasn't your fault. I agree, the sub broke itself. :bandwagon2:

Did anywhere i say that it broke itself? NO and yes thats how it happened just stopped playing one day. And i never said it wasn't my fault, never said it was the company's fault. All i asked was what the procedure was for getting it fixed...... Thats all no more no less

Edited by WRX Kid

what should i look for on the sub as to y this is happening. Nothing looks burnt, sub makes no noise when i push the cone in. Effortless still. Looks normal to me

Did anywhere i say that it broke itself? NO and yes thats how it happened just stopped playing one day. And i never said it wasn't my fault, never said it was the company's fault. All i asked was what the procedure was for getting it fixed...... Thats all no more no less

I think what he was saying is that "warranty" implies the issue is the result of a manufacturer's defect, which would be fixed for free by the manufacturer. You've owned your subwoofer for over six months, and it just now broke, which means the issue is not one of "warranty".

So the question you should have asked should have been simply about repair and not about warranty work, as the two are different things.

Regardless, have you tried emailing Fi? That would be the first thing to do.

Did you ever have a chance to pull the sub out and see where it broke? That would be helpful to know, that way we can help you avoid from doing the same to the driver once it's fixed.

Get a DMM and measure the coils, are you sure its the sub and not the amp/wiring/fuses?

Get a DMM and measure the coils, are you sure its the sub and not the amp/wiring/fuses?

I'll have to pick one up and yes. the amp and wires were all good. The sub wouldn't play and i would push on the cone a lil and it would come on for a sec then stop playing.

I'll have to pick one up and yes. the amp and wires were all good. The sub wouldn't play and i would push on the cone a lil and it would come on for a sec then stop playing.

That sounds like a connection problem in the tensil leads.

That sounds like a connection problem in the tensil leads.

Agree with this ^

The connection is broken somewhere between where you hook up the wires to the speaker and the voice coil. Can be caused by to much power, incorrect amp settings, bad box design, etc and/or a combination of those.

Normally if it's sewn in tinsel leads overexcursion snapped the tinsel leads, that can be attributed too large of an enclosure, too much power, and playing music too low. Or all three.

..and clipping the piss out of it..