Sir-Lancelot

Sub woofer cone area chart

Here's another chart, may be easier to read :peepwall:

charte.jpg

:)

Thank you guys, time to pin. :)

Nice Charts! for the people thinking 2 10's is 1 20" sub....:roflmao:

hmm... nice charts.. so more cone area will somewhat relate to more air movement/ louder sound??? I'm just asking..

hmm... nice charts.. so more cone area will somewhat relate to more air movement/ louder sound??? I'm just asking..

Yeah. But Motor Force is another factor Along with others....

Yeah. But Motor Force is another factor Along with others....

x2, usually if the subs are in the same line-up then yes it will move more air and be louder. Such as if you were comparing a 15" Fi Q to 2-12" Fi Q's then yes more cone area wins.

Too bad the charts are completely wrong. They are calculated assuming that the entire diameter of the sub is usable cone area when that isn't nearly the case. They don't even really give a ballpark comparison between sub sizes either since a 1" wide surround on an 8 will have a much greater effect on Sd than a 1" surround on a 12.

:werd_msword:

I was just getting ready to say the same thing. The formula they used is to find the area of a circle. Unfortunately you can't calculate cone area by finding the area of a fixed number (8, 10, 12, etc), since only a portion of the surround is considered "cone area" and two different subs will not necessarily have the same physical dimensions.

The cone area (Sd) for a loudspeaker is accurately stated as:

Sd = (Pi * D^2)/4

Where D is the diameter of the cone plus 1/3 of the surround at both ends of the measurement.*

*Some manufacturers will use 1/2 of the surround instead of 1/3 for the measurement, which would make the Sd of the driver appear larger. So in reality, the Sd listed by two different manufacturers is not directly comparable unless you know the same method of measurement (1/3 or 1/2 of the surround) was used for each driver.

For example, a 12" Fi BTL has an Sd of 480cm^2, which is 74.4in^2, which according to the chart is less than the Sd of a 10" driver. Work backwards to find the radius, sqrt(74.4/3.14) = 4.87in. Which means that the effective piston diameter of the driver is only ~9.75", not 12" as the chart would want you to use. And if the BTL had a larger or smaller surround, then it's Sd would decrease or increase, respectively.

Which means that, unfortunately, those charts are pretty much useless :(

I did not even check them. Would anyone like to adjust them with both 1/2 and 1/3 surround if they have the time? That way we can have an accurate chart. :)

so two 10"s do in fact have more surface area then an 18"? just kidding.

Well you learn something new everyday. Thank you helotaxi and impious for enlightening me :)

I did not even check them. Would anyone like to adjust them if they have the time? That way we can have an accurate chart. :)

It would change from driver to driver depending on the surround, So unless we make a chart for individual drivers? :ughdunno:

Its not on the money but it does show how to get the most bang for your buck. So the numbers would just be a bit smaller if measured properly, but 1-18 should always have more cone area then 2 -12's for example; and this is what it shows. Its a generalized chart for comparisons.

Too bad the charts are completely wrong. They are calculated assuming that the entire diameter of the sub is usable cone area when that isn't nearly the case. They don't even really give a ballpark comparison between sub sizes either since a 1" wide surround on an 8 will have a much greater effect on Sd than a 1" surround on a 12.

:werd_msword:

I was just getting ready to say the same thing. The formula they used is to find the area of a circle. Unfortunately you can't calculate cone area by finding the area of a fixed number (8, 10, 12, etc), since only a portion of the surround is considered "cone area" and two different subs will not necessarily have the same physical dimensions.

The cone area (Sd) for a loudspeaker is accurately stated as:

Sd = (Pi * D^2)/4

Where D is the diameter of the cone plus 1/3 of the surround at both ends of the measurement.*

*Some manufacturers will use 1/2 of the surround instead of 1/3 for the measurement, which would make the Sd of the driver appear larger. So in reality, the Sd listed by two different manufacturers is not directly comparable unless you know the same method of measurement (1/3 or 1/2 of the surround) was used for each driver.

For example, a 12" Fi BTL has an Sd of 480cm^2, which is 74.4in^2, which according to the chart is less than the Sd of a 10" driver. Work backwards to find the radius, sqrt(74.4/3.14) = 4.87in. Which means that the effective piston diameter of the driver is only ~9.75", not 12" as the chart would want you to use. And if the BTL had a larger or smaller surround, then it's Sd would decrease or increase, respectively.

Which means that, unfortunately, those charts are pretty much useless :(

And both of you beat me to it lol

Maybe it is asking too much but:

1. Can you guys make this chart specific to SSA line-up?

2. Do it for the Sundown SA series as well?

I'd attempt it myself but my math would be wrong... 1+1 = 11, yes?

haha tru **** would be cool to see the actual cona are raiduis of either of those companies line up's would be cool.

Someone please correct me if I did anything incorrectly, I just used the Sd values from the ssa homepage :)

ssachart.jpg

I'll make another for SA when I got a minute.

How about the Fi line-up. That would be a good one to have :)

Some of the fi drivers have the same Sd value listed on their site as the icons and xcons have.

Perhaps if I have time and theres enough demand, and im doing it right, then i'll make a condensed chart for ssa, sundown, and fi

How about the Fi line-up. That would be a good one to have :)

Some of the fi drivers have the same Sd value listed on their site as the icons and xcons have.

Perhaps if I have time and theres enough demand, and im doing it right, then i'll make a condensed chart for ssa, sundown, and fi

Good stuff man thanks, and I have no clue your guess is as good as mine.