onebadmonte

A Suburban A Warhorse and a pair of Double Dees

Very nice progress! Keep up the great work.

Thanks. Will do.

Bad ass build bro! Can't wait for some videos of this thing in action!

:gayhaaay1: Hey there stranger. Glad you're enjoying it. :fing34: Going to be entering the last leg of this project pretty soon. Keep your eyes peeled. :P

I always learn a lot from your builds Bro. Lots of now why didnt I think of that.

Good Job!!!

I always learn a lot from your builds Bro. Lots of now why didnt I think of that.

Good Job!!!

Lol! I know the feeling. I was pleased as punch with my doors till I saw yours. :ohnoes9: Once we are done with our projects we should meet somewhere and mash our trucks together for the ultimate uber suburban/yukon xl groundpounder. :roflmao:

Lol! I know the feeling. I was pleased as punch with my doors till I saw yours. :ohnoes9: Once we are done with our projects we should meet somewhere and mash our trucks together for the ultimate uber suburban/yukon xl groundpounder. :roflmao:

LOL, sounds good to me Buddy!

:dancing:

For us, we use this holiday, amongst the other major holidays, to travel back west so the little ones can get reacquainted with the family. What better way to enjoy the nothingness of I-10 westbound from San Antonio to Hell Paso than in a Suburban.

Oh you poor, poor bastard. Fun to put the FM radio in seek mode and watch it spin over there by Sonora and Ozona, though.

looking sweet hugo, i have been looking at that ms-8 for a while but never heard any ones. looks like now is the time!

looks good bro

LOL, sounds good to me Buddy!

:dancing:

:fing34:

For us, we use this holiday, amongst the other major holidays, to travel back west so the little ones can get reacquainted with the family. What better way to enjoy the nothingness of I-10 westbound from San Antonio to Hell Paso than in a Suburban.

Oh you poor, poor bastard. Fun to put the FM radio in seek mode and watch it spin over there by Sonora and Ozona, though.

:roflmao: Well I least I can watch movies while I drive. Opps, I mean listen to movies while I drive. :P

looking sweet hugo, i have been looking at that ms-8 for a while but never heard any ones. looks like now is the time!

looks good bro

Thanks bro. Slow goings but soon we'll be able to shake the ground. :fing34:

Right now I've got the Suburban running the front stage only. I'm not too impressed with what the MS8 did for centering the image. Since I have no subs I'm crossing everything pretty low. Also you can't really tell the Logic7 processing is doing anything at all since I don't have any rear speakers. Right now the MS8 is an over glorified crossover with meh time delay. o_o I need to get some rear speakers in and the subs to take advantage of the magic the processor is capable of creating. I've got faith.

In the creampuff it worked wonders. Let me know when you want to take a listen. :drink40:

Thread resurrect! What's happening? I'm back from Easter holiday and making progress over here. :) It's electrical work from here on out. I'm working my way from to from front towards the rear on this one. Up first installing the tejcurrent quad alternator bracket and my four 200amp Tuff Stuff Alternators.

The bracket install was far from smooth. For all those interested in the details of the bracket install I've started a thread in the product review section. Check it out HERE

I do have some pics to share here. Up first is the pre-assembled bracket just before it went in the vehicle.

100_3846.jpg

The backside.

100_3847.jpg

The whole sheabang ready to rock. :)

100_3919.jpg

:)

wow, thats one impressive alternator bank you have there. now, your ms8 will honestly benefit without a doubt with rear speakers and subs. my brother and i finished his avalanche last week with his ms8. holy crap does it do wonders with it rather than without. It made it feel like you're front row at the concert and just surrounds you with all the musicality of his setup

wow, thats one impressive alternator bank you have there. now, your ms8 will honestly benefit without a doubt with rear speakers and subs. my brother and i finished his avalanche last week with his ms8. holy crap does it do wonders with it rather than without. It made it feel like you're front row at the concert and just surrounds you with all the musicality of his setup

Thanks. It was something else getting the alts in the end it was worth the effort. Nothing says I mean business like four alts. :P The MS-8 is something else. It's hard to admit that I won't be using it to its full potential right now, but I need to get the project done before I get ahead of myself with upgrades. :)

With the alternators in place its time to get the power wiring in. I'm starting off with some heavy duty grounds on the frame. I made some simple steel spacers to weld onto the frame. I want to make sure I got some solid grounds in place. I made a little template to get the locations spot on. Here is what I started off with. A handful of steel spacers my template and precision measuring and drawing tools. :P

100_3944.jpg

I located a convenient spot on the frame near the alternators and the front battery to use. I've prepped the area and will be laying out the hole locations with my template and high tech marking device.

100_3948.jpg

Holes are drilled and now I am following up by tapping the holes.

100_3953.jpg

I have tapped the spacers and have located them tightly against the frame with a bolt.

100_3955.jpg

Before I start welding the spacers in place I wrapped all the heat sensitive areas with multiple layers of premium heat shielding foil paper. o_o

100_3956.jpg

Tah-dah! Spacers welded, and I still have a suburban. ;)

100_3957.jpg

Here is a sneak preview of how it's all going to work.

DSC03450.jpg

so you are going to paint that right to prevent rust right?

also i love that idea! i might have to use it next build! that is if you don't mind! lol!

Damn it man, you always come up with all the good fucking ideas.

You need to be my neighbor. How about you pack up the Family and move to Sakerlina?

:ughdunno:

Saw your thread about the alt. setup, that made for an interesting day I'm sure. Excellent idea on the ground attatchment. Thanks for consistently making us say "Why didn't I think of that!"

so you are going to paint that right to prevent rust right?

also i love that idea! i might have to use it next build! that is if you don't mind! lol!

Yep, will be painting the area. The pics look clearer before painting. The flat black paint washes out all the depth and contrast in a photo. ;)

Glad you like the grounds. Feel free and have at it, no patent pending. :P

Damn it man, you always come up with all the good pucking ideas.

You need to be my neighbor. How about you pack up the Family and move to Sakerlina?

:ughdunno:

Lol! Thanks bro. The wife said as long as I could find a good paying job to go for it. A little separation between me and her would be good for us she said. o_o

Saw your thread about the alt. setup, that made for an interesting day I'm sure. Excellent idea on the ground attatchment. Thanks for consistently making us say "Why didn't I think of that!"

Yeah, that alt install was a little bittersweet. It was a bish to get it in, but it looks awesome. Thanks for those kind words. With the level of equipment I've purchased I figure I'd better bring my "A" game to the install. :)

Just an inch of progress today guys and gals. I started working on making the ground cables. First things first, I made a mock up cable about 24" long with a single ring terminal. I compressed the cable end of the terminal just tight enough to hold but still removable. I lucked out that my cable has a teflon type sheathing over the actual wire, making it easy to install and remove the ring terminal as necessary. A single winding of electrical tape would suffice if the cable didn't have the sheathing.

DSC03453.jpg

I started looking around for a good area to make my frame to block ground. I decided on the point where the rear power steering bracket mounts onto the block.

DSC03454.jpg

This is how I'll be orienting the ring terminal at the block.

DSC03455.jpg

It's a bit of a trick getting to this location since it's at the bottom of the engine block. I've taken out the inner fender well to get into this area. If you're willing to take the extra effort of removing the inner fender and the front wheel of the car you'll be rewarded with better access and less frustrations through out the project. :) Now the only limitation is having tools to be able to reach. This is what I used to be able to sand down the block for my ground point.

DSC03456.jpg

The extension is actually for screw driver bits. Roaming the aisles of a family owned hardware store I came across this wire brush cup with a hex just like a screw driver bit. Problem solved. :P I followed up the sanding of the block by sanding both the front and backside of the power steering bracket.

DSC03457.jpg

DSC03458.jpg

Here is a shot of everything back in place with the modified ring terminal.

DSC03460.jpg

Here is the mock up cable in place to give you an idea of how the cable will be routed to the ground on the frame.

DSC03462.jpg

With the cable in place I am able to mark off the length required to make the cable.

DSC03461.jpg

I did this for all my ground cables. To make things go a bit faster I'm one to take notes. The ol' memory bank isn't what it used to be. :P Here is my notes sheet.

DSC03468.jpg

To keep the cables in order I'll be making some small brackets. Here is a little preview of that.

DSC03467.jpg

Just more coolness in the making!!

you really plan your installs out don't you? this looks great so far man. keep it going

you really plan your installs out don't you? this looks great so far man. keep it going

Yes and no. :P The parts were purchased with a plan in mind, and even that is questionable. You'd laugh at how many subs were bought and sold before I settled on these, and even now I am already eying an upgrade. :\ As for the installation details, those are the ones that are made up as I go along. I mean we all know what we need to get the job done. Amps, wires, mounting locations, but it's not till I get to that step that I actually figure out how I'm going to do it. Like the ground points on the frame. I knew I was going to ground directly to the frame when I started this build, but not till earlier this week did I know I was going to do what I did. The reason being is first I had to get the alts in. From there I can review the area I can work in to achieve the desired goal. From there it's a little bit of creativity splashed with some ingenuity and finished off with little elbow grease and a git'er done attitude. It's been like this the whole way through, from mounting the speaker box to making and routing the RCAs. Then there are the opportunities that arise, like installing the quad alt bracket. Stuff like that keep me on my toes. :P

Today is the day I start crimping the ring terminals on to the cables. Before I do, I need the right tool for the job. I picked up one of those hydraulic crimpers from Harbor Freight, the one with the undersized die set. :P I decided to modify on of the die sets for a better crimp. I stated off by putting some tape on the die set so I can draw my crimp design on it. Here is what I got.

DSC03483.jpg

The white area is what will be removed. I'll cut out an "M" shape on the plunging die, and a saddle on the fixed die. I'll be using my trusty jig saw to cut the "M" shape on the plunging die.

DSC03486.jpg

After a bit if filing this is what I ended up with.

DSC03491.jpg

Now on to the fixed die. I'll be working that one with a Dremel and small sanding drum. Here is an action shot for all my cavemen homies. :P

DSC03495.jpg

Here's a shot of the final die set.

DSC03497.jpg

Before we get to how the die set worked here is a little trick I came across to get all the wires into the ring terminal to avoid this from happening.

DSC03498.jpg

We start off with a piece of paper about 3/8" longer than the barrel of the ring terminal, about 2" long.

DSC03499.jpg

Roll it up nice and tight.

DSC03500.jpg

Then wrap it around the exposed wire of the cable.

DSC03502.jpg

Now the ring terminal slips over the wires without any fraying.

DSC03503.jpg

Now just pull out the paper with some needle nose plies. Look ma' no fraying. :P

DSC03504.jpg

Back to the crimping. I set up the hydraulic crimper in a vise to make is easier to hold the cable in place and I worked the crimper. This is how the crimp is looking so far.

DSC03507.jpg

With the cable out of the crimper, this is what the back side of the crimp looked like.

DSC03513.jpg

Here is a shot of the front side.

DSC03514.jpg

It came out looking good. I tried to pull the ring terminal off using a long bolt through the ring terminal and holding the cable with the other hand. It stayed together. Sorry, I don't have a pull scale to say how much force it will take before it comes a part. :|

With everything looking good so far I followed up by adding some shrink wrap over the crimp.

DSC03515.jpg

Lastly, the colored cable end the ring terminal came with to designate polarity.

DSC03516.jpg

Not to worry, I've got red ones too. :P One down many more to go. o_o

Beautifull work, makes me feel primaitve using my simple swedge tool and giving it a wack with a deadblow hammer.

Beautifull work, makes me feel primaitve using my simple swedge tool and giving it a wack with a deadblow hammer.

Thanks. Thought I'd give it a shot and see if I could pull it off. :P

Agreed. Normally I put it in a vice bend it down, then heat up with propane torch, then let solder melt and fill open spaces.

Hydraulic crimper looks so easy and sure fire. Damn even the crimper needed some modifying :P

Everything's look great :drink40: