onebadmonte

A Suburban A Warhorse and a pair of Double Dees

I hear ya. Small ported enclosure tuned to what 70hz or so, would be sick!

Most would go with a small sealed enclosure or maybe and aperiodic enclosure, but those require a tool like the woofer tester 2 to tune.

I just spent an hour reading through your build for the first time. Awesome work all around, I wish I had checked the thread out sooner. The battery rack looks sick, it's obvious you're going out of your way to do things right.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Just wait till be alt bracket install. I think it'll put a grin on your face. :fing34:

Great work!!! Front Stage has come together really nice! Turn it up so I can hear it! :woot:

Bahahah. Maybe on a quiet day. :P Thanks.

Keep it coming Monte................Lookin VERY good!!!

J

Will do thanks.

Killer work on the front stage!!! I am in love with the whole build thus far. You are an inspiration to us all with the clean work. :fing34:

I appreciate the kind words, thanks. :drink40:

Damn that Battery rack is bad ass, shit you make me want to redo my battery rack in the Dodge and the Cutlass...... Keep up the good work bro

Where's the double D's??!! The build looks sick bro :drink40:

Damn that Battery rack is bad ass, shit you make me want to redo my battery rack in the Dodge and the Cutlass...... Keep up the good work bro

Thanks. With everybody liking the battery rack I might as well quit now before I eff up the rest of the install. :P Just kidding. I'm going all the way and hope I don't make an a$$ us myself. Wait, have I already done that too? :suicide-santa:

Where's the double D's??!! The build looks sick bro :drink40:

Easy tiger, this is a family oriented site. :P They're coming. :)

Okay, by now you've realized this is taking forever. :( Well here are a couple of things I did in the name of progress. :yaya:

Thank God, the box effing fits. :woot:

DSC03110.jpg

Just enough between the box and the barn-door for a loaf of bread.

DSC03118-1.jpg

Here is the reason why I picked up a hundred pounds of box.

DSC03120.jpg

That's a pair of 3/4" bolts holding down the drivers side port.

DSC03121.jpg

It's not much, but it's something to keep minor situations from turning major.

DSC03119-1.jpg

I would have like to use two bolts for the passenger side, but I had the rear a/c lines in the way where the second bolt would have gone.

DSC03124.jpg

:thanx:

HOLY cow is that 3/4 thread holding the box down? lol! that is intense! also will rust be an issue with those long bolts? or are they stainless.

HOLY cow is that 3/4 thread holding the box down? lol! that is intense! also will rust be an issue with those long bolts? or are they stainless.

Yep, 3/4" bolts, hope that'll make some good when things go bad. The bolts are standard issue zinc plated bolts. If rust rears is fugly face I spay some neutralizer on them then paint. With so much to do on this project and the uncertainty of how long this install will last, certain issues will be addressed re-actively versus proactively. :| Hope that makes sense. :) 3/4" bolts FTW!

x2 3/4 ftw! lol! and it does make sense!

Box is sick! Bolted down, even better. Even adds a little industrial look :P

nice Mpyers, very similar to my Extremis 6.4's and the AA polymids I had before that.

Thanks. The Mpyers are more like the Extremis since they are both Xbl^2. The AA polymids and the current carbon mids are both split coil design. Bummer Mpyer never got off the ground.

Box is sick! Bolted down, even better. Even adds a little industrial look :P

Well, I've got no sense of style so I have to be industrial by default. :P Thanks.

Awesome build man! Great craftsmanship and ingenuity!

Now for the :boobies: errr I mean DD's :drink40: .

Thanks fellas. Well here is a mini update for the sake of progress. I'm adding a carpeted layer of mdf to the port side of the box to mount the amp. Here are my boards.

100_3611.jpg

No carpet on the backside. Just enough to wrap around the edge and a little extra to make a land for the staples.

100_3608.jpg

The black screw is what came with the amp for the mounting rail. I wasn't too impressed with it so I'm going to use a 10-32 and washers.

100_3616.jpg

In the wood I'll use a matching threaded insert for wood. As for the black specks on the wood, you caught me. This used to be my welding table. :P Yes I welded on wood. No biggie, my frayed jeans caught on fire more than the wood. o_o

100_3610.jpg

Here is the whole setup with the hanging rail in place.

100_3618.jpg

Test fit with the amp. Sorry for the blurry pic. Kind of tough to focus, hold and snap a pic with one hand, while the other props up the 60lbs amp assembly.

100_3619.jpg

Here are the boards secured on the box. Each board is held in with 12, 2-1/2" drywall screws. The reason I did this is the two boards make a nice little channel for me to run the power cables out of sight. This amp has it's power locations at an odd location, front, center, and offset towards the top. This way I can run the cables up over and back down the backside, out of sight, right through the floor to and battery bank.

100_3621.jpg

One more thing off the things to do list. :) and :woot:

Edited by onebadmonte

wow nice 10-24~ very cool stuff there! you almost sound like a die maker or mold maker lol!

Holy hell batman i read all 7 pages lol.

put some expanding foam over the nuts holding the box down, then paint it, no rust and outasiight.

or you could always tach weld that nut to the thread.

Speaking of which i need to bolt my box/s down as well.

Good look on the doors too, i did that at first wt the original location but decided to go wt 8"s in the door.

I need a build log lol, still cold here though

Extremely Nice Work!!! The plan with the slot between the mounting plate for the amp wires = :fing34: I am :wub: ing the continued attention to detail! More Please!

Sunday, fun day. Well sort of. Hmmm, how can I put this? When I first built my box I envisioned putting my amp on the face opposite of the ports. At the time, I was going to run a Crescendo 3KWP. This was my reasoning for putting the speaker connections where I did. Well I got this silly Kicker amp and now the speaker terminals aren't going to fly. What can I say, change of plans. :P In the long run this is for the best as I didn't exactly think the original terminal locations through all that well and placed them too close to the speakers. Well here is a pic of my fix.

100_3627.jpg

Here I'm setting up the new terminal locations.

100_3628.jpg

Yep, setting them up in the port this time around.

100_3629.jpg

A pair of generic 8ga spools for speaker wire overkill.

100_3630.jpg

Since Digital Designs uses that direct connection what have you I'll be using these thingies.

100_3631.jpg

A double dee sighting.

100_3633.jpg

My fancy crimping tool.

100_3637.jpg

All wired up and ready to drop in. :woot:

100_3639.jpg

Here is what it looks like in the box. All connections have been gone over with some heat shrink tubing.

100_3641.jpg

Up close shot of what's going on in the port.

100_3644.jpg

I'll be utilizing these to secure the woofers down in the box. o_o

100_3651.jpg

I flush mounted these woofers. To make for a clean looking install I rolled the carpeting into the speaker opening. This makes for a tight fit. To keep the gasket from getting caught I'll be using these. They are thin pieces of plastic packaging material. These will make installation a breeze and will slip right out without a hitch. :)

100_3653.jpg

Here it is, woofer installed.

100_3654.jpg

Opps, spoke too soon. Woofers installed.

100_3655.jpg

Up next, the amp :)

.. pardon the noob question but what is a crimp sleeve? how do you use them? and i like your through the port wires! lol!

.. pardon the noob question but what is a crimp sleeve? how do you use them? and i like your through the port wires! lol!

I used them as a union to add on wire to the subs.

I used them as a union to add on wire to the subs.

Here let me try this again. :P This time with pictures.

The prepped wires and crimp sleeve.

100_3672.jpg

Assembled and ready for crimping.

100_3673.jpg

Any ol' crimper will work.

100_3674.jpg

Crimped and ready for some insulation.

100_3675.jpg

Lastly some heat shrink tubing to finish things off.

100_3676.jpg

Hope this helps. :eek5wavey:

Nice job.

:drink40:

Getting so close now man. Hurry up and come help me.

Thanks. Packing my mittens and sock monkey as we speak. :P