onebadmonte

A Suburban A Warhorse and a pair of Double Dees

Nice build , wondering why I havent been following this from an earlier stage .

Very nice box and ports !

Edited by BASSmaster

Real life progress, yay. I continued work on the battery rack again today. I made the carriage bolt pads. I started off with 4" x 2", 1/8" thick steel strip. I will be putting a square hole in the center of this piece. Here's how I did it.

The workpiece, trimmed and ready for drilling.

DSC03176.jpg

I used work's bada$$ Bridgeport Mill and vise setup to put a 1/4" pilot hole first

DSC03177.jpg

I followed that up with a 1/2" drill

DSC03178.jpg

Here I verified the size of the square on the carriage bolt. Get your 3-D glasses on. :P

DSC03169.jpg

Here I scribed out the square that I'll cut out. Just wait till you get a load of how I pull this off. :)

DSC03179.jpg

That's right, an effing jigsaw.

DSC03180.jpg

Dios mio! (My goodness!) What a hack job. Not to worry I can fix it.

DSC03181.jpg

A little file action, and presto change-o, square hole.

DSC03183.jpg

Test fit.

DSC03184.jpg

Finished product. :)

DSC03186.jpg

Stay tuned for part two of this update.

Here we go fellas, part two, The final assembly of the battery rack.

Here I'm prepping the center rails putting some 9/16" holes at the ends. A little story about this drill press. Pops got it for free from a shop he used to work at. It sat in the garage for 20 years unused. Pops said it needed a new motor, he let me have it. Just for laughs I plugged it in. Snap, it works. Let Pops know, now he needs a drill press. :P

DSC03187.jpg

Here I'm laying out the carriage bolt pad centers. I did two angle irons at a time to make sure they line up properly.

DSC03190.jpg

Here is a close-up so you can see my alignment marks. I also put an indicator at the end of the angle iron to make sure I don't mix them up.

DSC03191.jpg

This is the center section tack welded together.

DSC03189.jpg

DSC03194.jpg

Here I am laying out the alignment marks for the center section on the battery base. To keep things simple I added up my measurements to I can use a ruler and mark everything in one shot.

DSC03196.jpg

The finished frames ready to be welded.

DSC03199.jpg

DSC03200.jpg

DSC03202.jpg

A couple test fit shots.

DSC03206.jpg

DSC03208.jpg

:)

Hugo, Mi compadre se mira bien

nice Bridgeport work! lol! and vernier skills!

looks good!

Nice score on the drill press!! Bat rack is sweet!!

What's up planet earth? After a short hiatus, an impromptu toilet swap, I'm back. The battery rack is at the welder's and I'm wait for some machine time to cut the hangers. For the time being I started work on the doors and figuring out a way to shoehorn a pair of 7" Mpyre Mid-Basses in the factory location behind the factory grills. Can it be done? Watch and be amazed.

Le door panel with le mids:

DSC03210.jpg

Le area to be hacked out:

DSC03212.jpg

We, those were the tool used, classic onebadmonte hack job :P

DSC03213.jpg

Another test fit.

DSC03214.jpg

I used the factory grill and the mids to make a cardboard template. I transfer the template shape some MDF. Upon further review I decieded to make a multi level baffle to fit the drivers.

DSC03219.jpg

Here are all the baffle pieces roughed out with le wienie bandsaw.

DSC03221.jpg

Le test fit of the baffle in le door with le door panel in place.

DSC03216.jpg

Here I'm making sure le grill fits. :)

DSC03217.jpg

The moment everyone's been waiting for. How the hell do the drivers fit? Here you go.

DSC03227.jpg

DSC03228.jpg

DSC03230.jpg

DSC03231.jpg

Still got a ways to go, but I have an idea of how I'm going to get it all to work. Stay tuned. BTW, sorry for the french accent (le here and le there) I was eating some french fries while I was writing this. :P

Fawk. Double post FTL. Wonk Wonk Wonk. :P

Edited by onebadmonte

I like the little overlap trick you used there to get the drivers to fit. Everything is looking good overall. Good call on having the rack welded for you if your not completely confident it your welding ability, that is a lot of weight (and money) it will be holding.

wow nicely done!!! i like that mini bandsaw!!! are those expensive?

Midbass mount design is pretty slick, lookin' forward to how it comes together!!

I like the little overlap trick you used there to get the drivers to fit. Everything is looking good overall. Good call on having the rack welded for you if your not completely confident it your welding ability, that is a lot of weight (and money) it will be holding.

Yeah, better safe than sorry. My friend is a pretty good welder, he does chassis work on race cars and stuff. Maybe one day when I grow up I'll be able to lay down a fat bead like you. :)

wow nicely done!!! i like that mini bandsaw!!! are those expensive?

Not really. The one I have is just over a benjamin and the local home depot. I picked up mine off craigslist for $40 although it looks as if it was fished out of a lake with all that rust on the base. :P

Midbass mount design is pretty slick, lookin' forward to how it comes together!!

Thanks, I as well am lookin' forward to how it comes together. :)

Excellent progress man, keep up the great work!

Yeah, better safe than sorry. My friend is a pretty good welder, he does chassis work on race cars and stuff. Maybe one day when I grow up I'll be able to lay down a fat bead like you. :)

It just takes practice and technique, you'll get there. You fit all the pieces together properly for a strong weld thats just as important. Doing the corners the way you did is the strongest way to joint 2 pieces of angle together because it gives you the largest weld surface. This should be a nice install when it's all said and done.

I actually seen one in person yesterday at a local shop, sheesh! Pictures do the Warhorse no justice when it comes to its size. Definitely in awww in when I saw it :wub:

looking good, keep up the good work.

I actually seen one in person yesterday at a local shop, sheesh! Pictures do the Warhorse no justice when it comes to its size. Definitely in awww in when I saw it :wub:

did you happen to notice the price tag on it? and I believe they go for about 1400 shipped online

Excellent progress man, keep up the great work!

looking good, keep up the good work.

Thanks fellas. :drink40:

It just takes practice and technique, you'll get there. You fit all the pieces together properly for a strong weld thats just as important. Doing the corners the way you did is the strongest way to joint 2 pieces of angle together because it gives you the largest weld surface. This should be a nice install when it's all said and done.

Like anything prep is the most important step. As for the way I did the corners, that credit belongs to you friend. I picked it up in your "93 Fleetwood Caddy/Something for the Streets" build. Thanks for sharing. :fing34:

It is quite a sight. I can't wait to see it installed. It'll make a statement.

did you happen to notice the price tag on it? and I believe they go for about 1400 shipped online

Pfff... I picked up mine for cheaper just before the new year. Muhahahahaha! :P

:popcorn:

Like anything prep is the most important step. As for the way I did the corners, that credit belongs to you friend. I picked it up in your "93 Fleetwood Caddy/Something for the Streets" build. Thanks for sharing. :fing34:

Thats why I do detailed builds. I love seeing quality work and if my builds assist in that for somebody else then it's all worth it in the end.