onebadmonte

A Suburban A Warhorse and a pair of Double Dees

DSC03372.jpg

Gotta get me one of those, that's sweet!

Great progress!! Wanna see those layered pods come together! :drink40:

Making really good progress man :woot: Looking foward to seeing the finished product :popcorn:

looking sharp! and not just your work ;)

Thanks for all the support fellas. :drink40:

For those wondering about that crazy rivet tool I used here is some info. I picked it up from Harbor Freight. The tool itself kicks @ss. The included rivnuts, not so much. I picked up better ones from Mc Master Carr. Sorry no links for those since the Mc Master Carr site is flash or something like it so direct links don"t work. :( Any who, here are some links.

Threaded Rivet Tool

Here are the Mc Master Carr part numbers for the ones I use.

Thread size 8-32 P/N 95105A123

Thread size 10-24 P/N 95105A127

Thread size 1/4-20 P/N 95105A143

Just plug in these part numbers into their search line and it'll take you directly to them.

Here we go the final stage of the doors. Before you tackle a project like this it's good to have all your nuts and bolts ready to go. I recommend a stash of 8-32s, 10-32s, and some 1/4-20 bolts. For the smaller sizes I recommend starting off with 1" long fully threaded. That way you can cut them to the length you need. The 1/4-20 I buy 1" and 3" fully threaded. Usually the Home Depot has the 3" fully threaded mixed with the partially threaded. Keep an eye out for these. Here is a pic of my 8-32 box.

DSC03405.jpg

This is the door prepped. You can see the mounting points and the hack cut job I did for the upper mid-bass. o_o

DSC03411.jpg

Here is the base mounted up in place. I'm using a couple of flat head screws since one of them will be under the actual mounting of the speaker and the second because I got carried away and counter sunk the wrong hole first time around. :P Three of the four screws hold down the base. The fourth upper screw will hold down both the base and the intermediate base. The screws holding down the upper mid-bass ( 2" long 8-32s) will go through the intermediate base and thread into the inserts in the base.

DSC03412.jpg

The first driver in place. :woot:

DSC03413.jpg

A little close up action of the hardware. I went over board and used some lock washers under the 8-32s holding the mid-bass down.

DSC03415.jpg

Here is the intermediate base installed, currently held in place by the upper 1/4-20 bolt.

DSC03406.jpg

Before I get the upper mid-bass in I have to take care of this little gap.

DSC03416.jpg

First a little foil paper.

DSC03417.jpg

And a generous serving of 200mph duct tap. Fixed! In my best Walter Sobchak voice: "Our f%ck!n’ troubles are over Dude."

DSC03418.jpg

Mid-bass installed. Bam!

DSC03420.jpg

Driver side door finished.

DSC03423.jpg

Passenger side door.

DSC03410.jpg

Effing progress man!

Thats bad ass man. Good work on getting those behind the factory grill.

I hear you on not putting to much effort into corrosion control. I guess as long as you know you need to give them a look over once in a while it shouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks for posting the Harborfreight link up there.^^

Your progress looks awesome.

Why didn't you seal the holes and dampen/deaden the doors first?

DSC03423.jpg

Love the use of all the space in the factory location! :fing34: and a :+1:

Sweet. When or have you already heard them? Look real nice and not having to glass the doors is awesome.

Def gives me some inspiration when I do my doors.

Great job man! I love the attention to detail and the close up photos.

Keep the pics coming and let us know how those mids sound!

Where is the deadening? Say good bye to all your midbass since the doors are open baffle...

Where is the deadening? Say good bye to all your midbass since the doors are open baffle...

x2, otherwise cancellation(?) will eat up your midbass.

I hear you on not putting to much effort into corrosion control. I guess as long as you know you need to give them a look over once in a while it shouldn't be a big deal.

Yep, you heard right. You know, I still have mixed feeling about this, and not the feel good warm fuzzy kind. I'm going to have to keep an eye on this whole area. With so many alts and the batteries being sensitive to over voltage charging, I get the feeling I'm playing with fire. All I can do is keep my voltage in check and keep an eye for ballooning batteries. While I'm there I might as well check for green and white flakes on the terminals. This stuff was never meant to last forever.

Glad the link helps. The door panel covers the holes pretty well.

It was a tight squeeze. I'm happy with the way it looks.

Sweet. When or have you already heard them? Look real nice and not having to glass the doors is awesome.

Sad to say but I bought these mids based on internet hype and cost. I don't doubt they'll get the job done. I'm just saying this is where the internet has taken this hobby. I think this is why so many shop owners and sales people have attitude. :peepwall:

Will do. Thanks. :fing34:

The horse leads the cart. I'll let the music show me what panels need deadening. Don't worry my labor is free to me. :) As for saying good bye to all my mid-bass, take it easy there chicken little the mid-bass isn't disappearing. First and foremost the door panel will separate the front wave from the rear wave. Cancellations solved. Deadener will help. I can't just stick the stuff all willie nillie and think I did it right. I know there are guidelines, I just prefer to play some music to see and hear what panels are going to be trouble some. The ultimate would be to put some real enclosure behind these mofo's. I would but there's the power window track in the way. For the most part speakers like this are designed to be installed in leaky doors and still perform. It's a pick your battles sort of thing. I chose to want to keep everything behind the stock panels. Visually I don't want this thing to look as loud as it really is. I think a semi-stealth install will help me pull this off. The bass output is what's going to melt peoples faces off when I drop the knob in this thing. The mid-basses are for when I'm driving to work in the morning listening to Band of Skulls with the volume 1/4 up.

Sorry for being long winded, but when the words want to flow you just go with it. :)

Do your thing Buddy.

Apparently some missed all the attention to details thus far, I have no doubt you will make some changes if needed.

All this talk about racks and we havent even seen the Double DEEEES

All this talk about racks and we havent even seen the Double DEEEES

x2

Awe sh!t this is my build log! Back to work. :P

Okay, little update today. I'm wrapping up the front stage today by getting in my kick panels. Here is the drivers side.

DSC03425.jpg

These fit nice but I still had to tweek them a bit to get them to fit right. First I had to trim back the leading edge of the hood release opening to clear the handle.

DSC03427.jpg

Secondly I trimmed round the pivot opening. It was too tight around this area to get the panel seated properly.

DSC03429.jpg

Lastly here is the passenger side kick panel in place.

DSC03430.jpg

The wires for the front stage have been run as well. Getting there. :fing34:

opps, dbl poast. :P

Edited by onebadmonte

Yep, you heard right. You know, I still have mixed feeling about this, and not the feel good warm fuzzy kind. I'm going to have to keep an eye on this whole area. With so many alts and the batteries being sensitive to over voltage charging, I get the feeling I'm playing with fire. All I can do is keep my voltage in check and keep an eye for ballooning batteries. While I'm there I might as well check for green and white flakes on the terminals. This stuff was never meant to last forever.

Glad the link helps. The door panel covers the holes pretty well.

It was a tight squeeze. I'm happy with the way it looks.

Sad to say but I bought these mids based on internet hype and cost. I don't doubt they'll get the job done. I'm just saying this is where the internet has taken this hobby. I think this is why so many shop owners and sales people have attitude. :peepwall:

Will do. Thanks. :fing34:

The horse leads the cart. I'll let the music show me what panels need deadening. Don't worry my labor is free to me. :) As for saying good bye to all my mid-bass, take it easy there chicken little the mid-bass isn't disappearing. First and foremost the door panel will separate the front wave from the rear wave. Cancellations solved. Deadener will help. I can't just stick the stuff all willie nillie and think I did it right. I know there are guidelines, I just prefer to play some music to see and hear what panels are going to be trouble some. The ultimate would be to put some real enclosure behind these mofo's. I would but there's the power window track in the way. For the most part speakers like this are designed to be installed in leaky doors and still perform. It's a pick your battles sort of thing. I chose to want to keep everything behind the stock panels. Visually I don't want this thing to look as loud as it really is. I think a semi-stealth install will help me pull this off. The bass output is what's going to melt peoples faces off when I drop the knob in this thing. The mid-basses are for when I'm driving to work in the morning listening to Band of Skulls with the volume 1/4 up.

Sorry for being long winded, but when the words want to flow you just go with it. :)

I hear ya. Small ported enclosure tuned to what 70hz or so, would be sick!

I just spent an hour reading through your build for the first time. Awesome work all around, I wish I had checked the thread out sooner. The battery rack looks sick, it's obvious you're going out of your way to do things right.

Great work!!! Front Stage has come together really nice! Turn it up so I can hear it! :woot:

Keep it coming Monte................Lookin VERY good!!!

J

Killer work on the front stage!!! I am in love with the whole build thus far. You are an inspiration to us all with the clean work. :fing34: