arian2damaxx

square sub vs roudn sub?

i rounds sounds better but square hits harder, and do square subs tend to blow quicker??

F.A.I.L.

False

And

Ignorantly

Learned

Subs blow for one of two reasons.

thermal = over current tinsel leads or coils...

mechanical = over excursion and\or playing music on a tight gap rubbing the former\coil away or ripping tinsel leads

The box and install will dictate the majority how something will sound.

Common sense in the audio world should allow a user to choose the right basic driver for a cause.

i rounds sounds better but square hits harder, and do square subs tend to blow quicker??

Also, don't come back if you can't take the time to formulate a question so that others can coherently read it.

if you calculate cone area, or if you have EYES you will see that square subs have more cone area than round. not saying that makes all the difference.

Also, don't come back if you can't take the time to formulate a question so that others can coherently read it.

Ok captain douche bag, like you can't comprehend what he's trying to say?Not that its well put or anything.

Edited by keetykush

definitely could've explained it better, but you can understand it. generally speaking, more cone area, with power being the same, box design etc being correct in the same vehicle, the one with more cone area will be louder on a mic. to the ear will depend on tuning and the subs tendency to play lower, as lower frequencies are registered louder to the ears. i prefer round cones for the simple reasoning, while the sub is in motion, it is stressing the surface of the surround equally or close to equal anyway, with a square or other cone, the surround tends to see more stress in corners, sometimes tearing over time or abuse. I've heard many L7's I hated, also heard a Solo-X that sounded amazing. i think it's more preference than anything.

definitely could've explained it better, but you can understand it. generally speaking, more cone area, with power being the same, box design etc being correct in the same vehicle, the one with more cone area will be louder on a mic. to the ear will depend on tuning and the subs tendency to play lower, as lower frequencies are registered louder to the ears. i prefer round cones for the simple reasoning, while the sub is in motion, it is stressing the surface of the surround equally or close to equal anyway, with a square or other cone, the surround tends to see more stress in corners, sometimes tearing over time or abuse. I've heard many L7's I hated, also heard a Solo-X that sounded amazing. i think it's more preference than anything.

Couldn't had explained it better. But yeah I think that cone area will affect the efficiency on lower frequencies than what you can actually hear, atleast between say a 12 and a 15, as for an 8 and a 18 I think ther'd be a big difference. Square subs would technically have more cone area, but based on what this guy says a round cone is more reliable.

There is probably a good reason why most higher-end companies don't make square subs.

You need special equipments and tools to make square subs. So you will need to sell a lot of them to compensate for the added costs on tools and machines. Only big companies can do that : MTX, Kicker,...

There is probably a good reason why most higher-end companies don't make square subs.

There's a good reason why higher end companys with low capital don't make square subs. edit: notorious beat me to it

Edited by Audibel Customs

Ok captain douche bag, like you can't comprehend what he's trying to say?Not that its well put or anything.

wow PHI didnt know you were a captain! and you are now officially a female cleaning product! CAPTAIN FEMALE CLEANING PRODUCT = PHI :gayhaaay1:

wow PHI didnt know you were a captain! and you are now officially a female cleaning product! CAPTAIN FEMALE CLEANING PRODUCT = PHI :gayhaaay1:

I'm actualy tired of reading the "this sub ~vs~ that sub" threads that are posted on this site.

People listen and listen good,

it depends a lot on the installation!!!!!!!! :WTFBubble:

Stick any sub in a cardboard box and it'll sound like shit.

Put any sub with an inferior power application, it'll sound like shit.......

For the love of God!

Do some research or testing before you post up a question or opinion!

A little work goes a long way when making a statement regarding any equipment.

Such things need to be included such as,

what type of ride, what type of enclosure, power supply, ect.......

Square ~vs~ round......?

Here's a good question,

which would fly farther if thrown with two hands?

(I don't care if this cost me a few rep points, just had to get this out there!!! sorry)

For a Limited time ONLY!, you can get a Phi 2000 for just $19.99..

AND WAIT! If you order within the next 4 minutes, we'll even give you a free SSA members account with 5 friends added to your account status!

Operators are standing by...

to the ear will depend on tuning and the subs tendency to play lower, as lower frequencies are registered louder to the ears.

Actually our hearing becomes less sensitive in the lower frequencies. Starting around 1khz our hearing becomes gradually less sensitive as frequency decreases, which in turn means the lower frequencies are perceived as less loud to the ear for a given SPL.

In regards to the stress on the surround; a good design will deal with this issue. You can see how Kicker deals with it simply by looking at the driver and the shape of the surround at the corners. A well designed square sub shouldn't be any less reliable than a round one.

i was doing a demo at a show and had a good little crowed huddled , and after 5 songs or so this cholo gets a demo, and when he jumps out he says,.."man imagine if them hoes was square"

stupid ass... square like your head you fuck.

i was doing a demo at a show and had a good little crowed huddled , and after 5 songs or so this cholo gets a demo, and when he jumps out he says,.."man imagine if them hoes was square"

stupid ass... square like your head you fuck.

Yeah but imagine if they were...

:P

I went to a local store back when kicker first came out with the squares. When I asked about them, the owner said "" why would you want a sub that puts out square waves"" I mean seriously. That shop was a huge FAIL. Along with the next business he started up.

The square design has its benefit..(more surface area), but isn't necessarily the perfect design. If it didn't work, MTX wouldn't have copied Kicker's proven design. What cracks me up, is when this design first popped up, other companies jumping on the bandwagon. Xtant with the hex shape, Sony with the 5 side (still in a round basket) and the BEST IDEA EVER--Bazooka's triangle sub :roflmao: . Wouldn't a triangle offer less surface area than a square (and possibly less than a circle of the same proposed size)? I've had lengthy discussions over the design flaws of 6x9s.. If it doesn't work, it'll go away..kinda like 3 sided subs.

The square design has its benefit..(more surface area), but isn't necessarily the perfect design. If it didn't work, MTX wouldn't have copied Kicker's proven design. What cracks me up, is when this design first popped up, other companies jumping on the bandwagon. Xtant with the hex shape, Sony with the 5 side (still in a round basket) and the BEST IDEA EVER--Bazooka's triangle sub :roflmao: . Wouldn't a triangle offer less surface area than a square (and possibly less than a circle of the same proposed size)? I've had lengthy discussions over the design flaws of 6x9s.. If it doesn't work, it'll go away..kinda like 3 sided subs.

Whats your opinion on whats wrong with the 6x9's?

Just curious.

I'm actualy tired of reading the "this sub ~vs~ that sub" threads that are posted on this site.

For the love of God!

Square ~vs~ round......?

Here's a good question,

(I don't care if this cost me a few rep points, just had to get this out there!!! sorry)

I can understand your frustration as I feel the same way sometimes about certain things that get said. On the other side of the fence though isn't that what these forums are for? To ask questions and get opinions / feedback? The dedicated audio guys have seen the threads, done the research and spent countless hours learning and trying new things but not everyone has. We were all new to this at one point and had to ask the same type of questions. I'm not trying to bash you or start an argument here I just don't think it's right to cut the throat of someone who is seeking an edjucated opinion.

Just my 2 cents

Whats your opinion on whats wrong with the 6x9's?

Just curious.

Everything

FWIW Sony was doing square drivers in their home audio line of speakers way back in the 70s or early 80s. Sony APM series.

For the love of God!

Square ~vs~ round......?

Here's a good question,

I can understand your frustration as I feel the same way sometimes about certain things that get said. On the other side of the fence though isn't that what these forums are for? To ask questions and get opinions / feedback? The dedicated audio guys have seen the threads, done the research and spent countless hours learning and trying new things but not everyone has. We were all new to this at one point and had to ask the same type of questions. I'm not trying to bash you or start an argument here I just don't think it's right to cut the throat of someone who is seeking an edjucated opinion.

Just my 2 cents

Yes the forums are to ask questions, but the forums have a search button. You search and search and search and then you can formulate a real question. I know plenty of times I've looked for information but didn't quite understand. THEN I posted a thread talking about that specific question I had. People are always looking for a damn quick fix these days and want to just know something without trying to learn.