steveo50

birch box

i know birch is lighter, less dust. but is there any thing that makes it better then mdf? the guy building my box is pushing me to do birch only charging me 50 bucks extra for it so its not breaking the bank or anything. does it sound better? im sure it will last longer. its for a daily system not after numbers i only meter when i get new stuff to see how much of a difference it made.

edit: for bad spelling

Edited by steveo50

It's lighter and stronger.

I used it on my DDZ box. I could move the box alone easily.

Make sure it's 11+ply Birch. Advantage is easier on tools and lighter.

i know birch is liter, less dust. but is there any thing that makes it better then mdf? the guy building my box is pushing me to do birch only charging me 50 bucks extra for it so its not breaking the bank or anything. does it sound better? im use it will last longer. its for a daily system not after numbers i only meter when i get new stuff to see how much of a difference it made.

Not a noticeable difference in sound, there are trade offs when it comes to birch Vs MDF.

Birch:

less prone to split

lighter

less dust

easier on tools

MDF:

More acoustically dense

Cheaper

Readily available in most areas.

50$ extra vs an MDF box? that's a huge price jump.. in my are a sheet of birch runs about 50 bucks vs a sheet of mdf is 35-40~

birch is liter?

Is MDF ounces?

Birch is more rigid than MDF therefore Birch may have a little ring to it at some frequencies... meaning it may resonate just a hair.

I do not think you will hear it though.

What some people do in HT is double layer their sub box, outer shell birch, inner shell MDF to retain the density.

ok cool thanks for the reply. i don't think for 50bucks more the weight is a big issue.

ok cool thanks for the reply. i don't think for 50bucks more the weight is a big issue.

Yeah, If you're concerned with the weight go with birch.. but if not..I say fuck it, if you countersink all screws the wood should not split.

Screws should never be the only means of securing a box together. The wood glue its self will create a bond stronger than the MDF, the screws should be used to hold the MDF together while the glue dries.

I haven't had MDF split in years with screws, just use the appropriate pilot hole.

I have never seen a need for plywood unless weight is of absolute concern.

MDF surface preps better, machines better and is more uniform than plywood. Hell, I tap MDF regularly and use coarse thread machine screws for driver mounting. When you brace appropriately and build thick enough, you will never see the performance advantage of plywood.

i think he wants me to use the birch because he does not want to lift the heavy ass box into the back of my truck lol.

If your box may ever get wet, make sure it isn't mdf... it baloons and looses all structural integrity.

I like mdf...it's nice and uniform, I actually like how it cuts and using the router on it is nicer then birch. Don't mind the weight since I drive a truck and it's way cheaper...$27/sheet here

I wheel my table saw out onto the driveway and use my router out there also so I don't mind the dust

i talked to some wood guys b4 and they say mdf is way better than birch.they say birch has a lot of voids in the wood so it is weaker .this is what some wood guys told me on this wood forum so dont get on my ass if this info is bad

lookup the modulus of Elasticity of MDF and birch.

i talked to some wood guys b4 and they say mdf is way better than birch.they say birch has a lot of voids in the wood so it is weaker .this is what some wood guys told me on this wood forum so dont get on my ass if this info is bad

They also make void free baltic birch.

depends on the birch you use...there's low quality and high quality stuff

I guess more ply would mean denser and less voids? Say comparing 5 ply to 11 ply

I guess more ply would mean denser and less voids? Say comparing 5 ply to 11 ply

No more ply= more more layers= more crossing of grain making it more rigid. The density and voids are determined on the grade.

They also make void free baltic birch.

x2 , that's what everyone means by birch...not the cheap stuff with only the top layers of birch.