smashedz28

Annodizing my amp..

I currently have one of those crescendo bass clef amps. Can't stand the color of the top plate. Does anyone know how I would go about changing the color? Would it have to be sent off to be anodized? I know nothing really about how that even works or who to send it off too. The writing on the top plate is etched in so as long as it isn't a thick paint or something I would imagine all that will still be there??

Just an off topic post.. What do you guys think?

Is this a show car? Or will you see the amp the entire driving experience?

I believe it could be taken to a local paint shop though, shouldn't be anything difficult.

you can sand, primer paint, but that won't allow the heat transfer of being anodized

No not a show car.. In fact I'll rarely even see it. It's just something I would like to get done... Any reputable places I could send this off too? Not sure where to start to find a place like this locally.

I used to have my paintball guns anodized sometimes. If you are worried about the lettering, they can do that with laser engraving. I used to get my guns anodized and engraved here. They say they do things other than guns, talk to them about your amp. http://www.lasermygun.com/?id=home

Google is my friend lol. Found a few plating and chrome shops here local. I'll call around tomorrow. Thanks for the website. If all fails I'll be using them. I'll be sure to get some before and after shots whenever I do this

Powder coat?

I don't think you should have to worry about head transfer with just that plate either.

I would research in some folio. If black is what you want I'm sure you can find a big sticker locally, trim it and cover the amp. May wanna leave the heatsinks tho. And them you will have an unique 2 color amp. :)

Op if you do change the color let me know. A deep purple and black crescendo would be sexy in the back of my ride.

You will need to remove the PCB completely and go from there. Any automotive powder coating/ etc place could do it easily since it's just aluminum.

Then reinstall the PCB with new thermal paste and you're good to go.

I didn't pull the amp out of the box since posting this but it should be a beauty plate on the top.. Don't think the pcb will even be touched. Pretty sure under the plate is still the amp case.

I believe the pcb is mounted to the black case, and the gold heatsink just mounts over. So you should be able to pull off the heatsink, do what you will, and pop it back in.

The gold plate is removable, I just had mind off today cleaning my amp!!

Looks like I need to open up my anodizing shop.

I think its just 4 screws.

Jon @ EpiccenterDesigns (forum member and Crescendo dealer) painted the old all gold amps black and he has also painted the top plate of the new ones as well. He can help you as well.

FWIW, guy on DIYMA had the faceplate to his Denford anodized and he suggest talking to the shop to see if they can include the item you want anodized in a larger run of the color you want to save on cost. He said they only charged him $50 to anodize his faceplate in a run of a larger job, whereas typically they'd charge $120 just to turn on the machine for you.

Just an idea.

Any pics jay cee ? Thanks for the advice everyone else.

Jon @ EpiccenterDesigns (forum member and Crescendo dealer) painted the old all gold amps black and he has also painted the top plate of the new ones as well. He can help you as well.

Jon is a good guy and does awesome work. He is currently at the haunt convention in St. Louis.

Look in this build log Silverado by Epicenter Designs by Epicenter Jon. You will see the all black nendo 1000c4s.

The pictures for the new amps he painted are on floridaspl, just ask him about it he will gladly show you. He painted the top plates black with small shiny specs, reminds me of some of the old school candy cars with that paint scheme.

Edited by jay-cee