dbsupra

Received Q18, terrible packaging

After waiting a little over a month I was excited when the shipping guy called and said my sub showed up. Then he said it felt funny so he opened it before the FedEx guy left. He said it looks like its ok but I'll take pics of how it came.

Here are those pics. I was very disappointed when I saw it. It's like someone through it in a box and hoped for the best. I bought some closeout mids from parts Express that were $30 that was packaged much better.

I understand that shipping companies can be rough, especially with heavy boxes but still. I'm lucky that there isn't any apparent damage other than a little chip on the magnet. I'lbbl know more in a couple days when I get it installed.

I would have gladly paid extra money due to the time and weight of better packaging. I just wanted to show how I received it incase there is an issue. Let me know if you need an order number or anything.

Was there foam in the box glued in an L shape to hold it secure?

Yea they beat the crap out of that box, I assure you that.

Edited by nem

There was. It's floating around in there. There was a small piece of blue foam on the bottom and 4 small pieces glued to the side. That's it. I tried to put it together to bring it home but the sub wouldn't sit inside them due to the box and the mangled pieces.

I just expected it to be more secure being that they take so much care in building it.

Wait, was this used or did you buy that direct from Fi? Either way that packaging is horrid. I just shipped my hdc3 18 today and packed that thing with so much paper, foam and peanuts. It's not going anywhere lol

Brand new from Fi. Ordered it a month ago and received today.

That's how every subwoofer I have bought from Fi and SSA has been. I have never had a problem. That is all Fed Ex's fault. The only way it could've be packaged better is if it were crated.

Recieved an incriminator death penalty with that much and I still had about 4 big chips on the magnets.

That box was beat up in shipping.

I agree they beat it up and it came across the country.

But I expected to atleast have some expanding foam or some sort of extra support to keep it more secure from shifting than a few foam squares around the lip.

Ive had stuff from dbr and sundown that the box got beat up but was packed well and everything was perfect on the inside.

well, you could probably put a layer of wood on the bottom and run 4 2x4s up to prevent the sub from shifting during movement.

I've seen this done before from companies. Just make sure the 2x4s are braced in such a way so it's impossible for them to break loose from the bottom wood.

That shouldnt add too much extra weight to the box..

OR.. do what alternator companies like DC Power does..

Cover the sub in a thick bag and blow foam the whole inside of the box... That'll protect it assuming the box is stout enough to not fall apart.

I've received subs from fi/ssa and 95% arrived fine. but it all depends on the shipper. I have had fedex/ups destroy packages like that.

my ~75 zcon 18 came just fine with no defects on he box... but my 40lb Xcon looked like someone sat on it then threw it across the room.

Edited by Julian

Definitely was flipped upside down and broke the tabs off the corners and from that it could shift anyway the box was positioned.

Let me tell you I have had my share of Fedex/Ups problems. For example out of the 4 N2 15s I sold, two of them were damaged from me to the buyer... and yes I packed them originally how I received them.

That's shitty packaging imo...

I like the way sundown ships their subs, full foam crates in a box :)

I like the way sundown ships their subs, full foam crates in a box smile.png

They can afford it smile.png .

well, you could probably put a layer of wood on the bottom and run 4 2x4s up to prevent the sub from shifting during movement.

That's how Fi used to ship things. My 2nd generation BTL came exactly like that except for particle board on bottom and top with the 4 2x4s on the corners and then the sub sat on foam and more foam surrounded the cone.

Kinda shitty they stopped shipping 'em that way.

My work makes custom foam crates all the time and its not as bad as you'd think. Or you can have them made

Some of that Gray bag expanding foam would work well I think. There was nothing in the bottom to keep the motor secure. Well I take that back there were some cardboard flaps folded up but it wasn't securing anything really. In all honesty the outside of the box looked fairly intact. None of the corners were dented in or anything.

I just want to make this clear. I'm not trying to bash Fi or go tweet that noone should buy their equipment. I wanted to post this for 2 reasons. One is incase I found an issue when I install it in a couple days. Second is to state my opinion that their packaging was subpar and give an example of why I thought as such. For such high standard of quality for their equipment, their standard of quality in packaging such be also. I understand thing are going to get damaged despite best efforts. But I feel atleast efforts should be made to give my equipment the best chance of arriving in the condition it left.

I've had 4 12" subs from both Fi and SSA shipped this way with no probelms, and one 15" from Fi with their crate method. Didn't see any difference. I thought they did the crate with any thing bigger than 12"s, guess not. Always thought that just the foam was kinda cheesy. Sucks to see this.

You have to see that more time to package is more costs, with more materials needed wich add a little as well. Fi is all about getting a great product to the customer for an unbeatable price. Problems like this are "rare", I would assume and it's more the shippers fault than the packagers, so I wouldn't think Fi believes the cost isn't worth it.

That's how Fi used to ship things. My 2nd generation BTL came exactly like that except for particle board on bottom and top with the 4 2x4s on the corners and then the sub sat on foam and more foam surrounded the cone.

Kinda shitty they stopped shipping 'em that way.

That is how the ZCON and I'm assuming the SP4 come.

Has absolutely nothing to do with the company affording it. You the customer purchasing the product are paying for everything involved with that product including the packaging material. Some portion of that $$ you are paying to Sundown or the dealer for whatever product you purchase is going to pay for the packaging of the product. It doesn't come out of the companies bottom line, it comes out of your pocket.

That said, I agree with Fi's packaging being on the less spectacular side of things.

maybe you should have paid them in gum?

maybe you should have paid them in gum?

What kind of gum?