Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Use a propane torch to check for vacuum leaks if you suspect that. or you can use carb cleaner, but its hard on the rubber. Use the UN-LIT torch by moving over the suspect area's. IF the engine rev's up, you have found your leak. smile.png

Looking at buying a used Cessna ..Any suggestions?

The 182 is a good plane. Just make sure it was maintained. Last I looked the were only around 30k.

So, my truck died twice last month and a brought into a repair shop, 1st time they said.it was the anti theft wire that was corroded and fixed it, second time it died the same way and would not start up again, they told me this time it was a plate on the distributor that was spinning that wasnt suppose to move. Long story short i dont know any good mechanic shops around and after putting 500$ in my truck last month and having it die and not start up the same exact way, i no dont trust them either, in fact when got my truck back they left a vacuum line off.

The problem im having now is when the A/C is on and the truck comes to a stop it feels like its going to die, also im not certain but it feels like my 1998 chevy s10 doesnt have as much power with the A/C on like it did before... I dont know a lot about automotive but I am thinking it might be a vacuum leak, or hose thats off... any ideas? Thanks

I am guessing something to do with the a/c compressor clutch. If shutting off the a/c solves the problem, you should be close to a diagnosis. When was your last tune up? How many miles on the motor/truck (if different)?

Any codes thrown?  A/C on is in the map on the ECU and should be automatically adjusted for.  If not a sensor could be stating the temp incorrectly, that the A/C is off or of course there could be something that causing it to happen.

Piper Cherokee is another good one, IF you don't mind a low wing.

So, my truck died twice last month and a brought into a repair shop, 1st time they said.it was the anti theft wire that was corroded and fixed it, second time it died the same way and would not start up again, they told me this time it was a plate on the distributor that was spinning that wasnt suppose to move. Long story short i dont know any good mechanic shops around and after putting 500$ in my truck last month and having it die and not start up the same exact way, i no dont trust them either, in fact when got my truck back they left a vacuum line off.

The problem im having now is when the A/C is on and the truck comes to a stop it feels like its going to die, also im not certain but it feels like my 1998 chevy s10 doesnt have as much power with the A/C on like it did before... I dont know a lot about automotive but I am thinking it might be a vacuum leak, or hose thats off... any ideas? Thanks

I am guessing something to do with the a/c compressor clutch. If shutting off the a/c solves the problem, you should be close to a diagnosis. When was your last tune up? How many miles on the motor/truck (if different)?

Any codes thrown?  A/C on is in the map on the ECU and should be automatically adjusted for.  If not a sensor could be stating the temp incorrectly, that the A/C is off or of course there could be something that causing it to happen.

Very true. In that case you should be able to reset the computer and the car will run in "limp" or "learning" mode for like the first 50-100 miles until it recollects data. If resetting the computer temporarily solves the problem, I would start testing sensors with an ohm's meter, for acceptable tolerances. Depending on the car, may go into default right away IF there is a faulty sensor, and only collect data from key sensors.

I can polish a turd..cool.png

Thought we told you to stop discussing your underwear cleaning habits.

Be good to also check and see what the values of the computer says are the variables.  Could let you know if something is off.  Oreilly Auto Parts and such loan a code reader to you for free to check.

Sean, the 3456 in my carb math represents 2cuft, in inches. Don't remember why that was the formula, just remember the formula. lol I WILL read up on everything more, so I know wtf I am doing. Than I can apply my resources more appropriately. smile.png

Your calculations seemed rather small.  600 is large for stock, but it isn't gargantuan...

2 ft since it is a 4 stroke.  Has to pump air on all strokes.

The 182 is a good plane. Just make sure it was maintained. Last I looked the were only around 30k.

Looking for a twin engine smile.png

I can polish a turd..cool.png

Thought we told you to stop discussing your underwear cleaning habits.

Stop being mean to me bro..sad.png

You Know i got skillz..biggrin.png

Truck has 131000 on it, changed the spark plugs, wires, and oil around 2K miles ago, mechanic shop put a new distributor on... soon i will have the transmission oil changed as well as the fuel filter, also gonna clean the mass airflow sensor

Any codes thrown? A/C on is in the map on the ECU and should be automatically adjusted for. If not a sensor could be stating the temp incorrectly, that the A/C is off or of course there could be something that causing it to happen.

Very true. In that case you should be able to reset the computer and the car will run in "limp" or "learning" mode for like the first 50-100 miles until it recollects data. If resetting the computer temporarily solves the problem, I would start testing sensors with an ohm's meter, for acceptable tolerances. Depending on the car, may go into default right away IF there is a faulty sensor, and only collect data from key sensors.
I hooked a multimeter up to it and a.ohm.meter, thanks

Fuel filter is a REALLY good place to start. Try the vacuum leak test would be the next smartest action.

Any codes thrown? A/C on is in the map on the ECU and should be automatically adjusted for. If not a sensor could be stating the temp incorrectly, that the A/C is off or of course there could be something that causing it to happen.

Huh?

Huh?

Sorry about that, i meant i will hook a multimeter up to it and have someone that knows how to use an ohm meter check it out... i hooked a multimeter up about 6 months ago because my truck because was running rough, and it threw a random missfire code and the mechanic said that the mass airflow sensor or fuel filter were probably the problem. But it never felt like it was going to die on me until i got it out of the shop. :(

Learn to change your own fuel filter. Learn how to test for your own vac leaks. Is the only way on a BK budget. :)

If that doesn't fix it, come back here and I will tell you how to reset the computer. And will walk you through the diagnostics.

Huh?

Sorry about that, i meant i will hook a multimeter up to it and have someone that knows how to use an ohm meter check it out... i hooked a multimeter up about 6 months ago because my truck because was running rough, and it threw a random missfire code and the mechanic said that the mass airflow sensor or fuel filter were probably the problem. But it never felt like it was going to die on me until i got it out of the shop. sad.png

NEITHER of those meters will tell you anything.  You need a full fledged ECU code reader....

Don't waste your time on the OBD code. There are several factors that will trip the MAF sensor, so if those factors are not corrected, the code won't mean shit. First is check that that MAF sensor harness is not near any secondary ignition or coil wires, or other electrical devices. The harness could of got reinstalled poorly at one time. Also check the sensor ground wire at both ends. Second is check for vac leaks AFTER the MAF sensor, as that will throw off the sensor.

PLEASE change the FUEL filter first, then check for vac leaks. Always do the simple tests first. Ok

If it is running that bad it should throw a fault.  That would be the first thing I'd want to know.

Don't waste your time on the OBD code. There are several factors that will trip the MAF sensor, so if those factors are not corrected, the code won't mean shit. First is check that that MAF sensor harness is not near any secondary ignition or coil wires, or other electrical devices. The harness could of got reinstalled poorly at one time. Also check the sensor ground wire at both ends. Second is check for vac leaks AFTER the MAF sensor, as that will throw off the sensor.

PLEASE change the FUEL filter first, then check for vac leaks. Always do the simple tests first. Ok

Will do what you recommended thanks... also will be taking a few automotive classes while im in college, not becauss i want to be an auto tech, but because i want to be able to work on my own shit

Huh?
Sorry about that, i meant i will hook a multimeter up to it and have someone that knows how to use an ohm meter check it out... i hooked a multimeter up about 6 months ago because my truck because was running rough, and it threw a random missfire code and the mechanic said that the mass airflow sensor or fuel filter were probably the problem. But it never felt like it was going to die on me until i got it out of the shop. :(

Lol, i was working at the time i meant obd2 meter not multimeter lol

Will not hurt to know the codes. You may be able to retrieve them without the scanner. Turn the key on and off 3 times and end with the key in the on position. Your check engine light should blink. Will be like morse code. Have a piece of paper to write them down.

If 3 turns doesn't work, try 5 turns. You can start the process over as many times as needed.