Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

On lights, do you have any particular you guys like. I found some built by RAB that seem to be good quality. I'm looking for motion lights that will light up an area.

I really want to set up home "security" but my biggest want is to know everything is locked. Other than that I'd like for an alarm to go off if someone tried to break in to my house, garage or storage shed. At least an alarm would alert the neighbors and may scare off the would be robbers. I'm not too worried about smart people robbing my house and out smarting a basic system.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

...I have a very detailed security system, but it isn't for security.

Off topic, I just got a job in Tunisia for 6 months so my boss offered me to fly my girlfriend out over Christmas/NYE. we were planning on going to Paris/Barcelona but we decided on Paris being the superior stop (this trip). What are some suggestions you'd make? We're not exactly on a strict budget but we would rather spend the money on seeing the sites and experience the real Paris. 

3 minutes ago, Julian said:

Off topic, I just got a job in Tunisia for 6 months so my boss offered me to fly my girlfriend out over Christmas/NYE. we were planning on going to Paris/Barcelona but we decided on Paris being the superior stop (this trip). What are some suggestions you'd make? We're not exactly on a strict budget but we would rather spend the money on seeing the sites and experience the real Paris. 

How many days?

Anyone tried a Tablo?  Thinking of going that route, adding a Roku at the TV, and buying Sling subscription for sports seasons.  Going to Hulu in the off.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

How many days?

Four to five days at the most, we would probably leave sometime after Christmas and inbetwern NYE.

As cliche as it sounds  we want to experience Paris on NYE. 

We're into art, architecture, history, FOOD, and really anything else. 

10 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Anyone tried a Tablo?  Thinking of going that route, adding a Roku at the TV, and buying Sling subscription for sports seasons.  Going to Hulu in the off.

I recently looked into Tablo. You need a tablo ($219-$299), a Roku ($100), a good HD Antenna ($30-$60+) and potentially $150 for tablo lifetime subscription. $350- $610 total upfront.

You then would just pay $20-$40 for Sling and $5 for tablo of you don't want to pay the $150 upfront.

That will get you DVR, guide data, local channels, and whatever subscription you choose with Sling.

It seems to me to be the closest to normal tv. However, you may have to use a sling app on the Roku and you may not be able to record the sling content.

9 hours ago, dem beats said:

What do you want the tablo to do?

Stream live antenna tv to a streaming device.  If I change to a streaming interface I want everything in it.

8 hours ago, Julian said:

Four to five days at the most, we would probably leave sometime after Christmas and inbetwern NYE.

As cliche as it sounds  we want to experience Paris on NYE. 

We're into art, architecture, history, FOOD, and really anything else. 

First $$ is finding a hotel.  Second is food.

Museums should be done on a multi-day pass, this allows you to walk into anything at anytime and not pay.  Check the days you are there though as many things can be closed on Monday.

Any idea the budget for the hotel?

34 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

I recently looked into Tablo. You need a tablo ($219-$299), a Roku ($100), a good HD Antenna ($30-$60+) and potentially $150 for tablo lifetime subscription. $350- $610 total upfront.

You then would just pay $20-$40 for Sling and $5 for tablo of you don't want to pay the $150 upfront.

That will get you DVR, guide data, local channels, and whatever subscription you choose with Sling.

It seems to me to be the closest to normal tv. However, you may have to use a sling app on the Roku and you may not be able to record the sling content.

Tablo $170 right now, need the Roku anyways, antenna is $30 and the subscription we would need is free.

I time out in Chrome.  IE lets me get places here, but tells me there is an unresponsive script.

15 hours ago, MKader17 said:

On lights, do you have any particular you guys like. I found some built by RAB that seem to be good quality. I'm looking for motion lights that will light up an area.

I really want to set up home "security" but my biggest want is to know everything is locked. Other than that I'd like for an alarm to go off if someone tried to break in to my house, garage or storage shed. At least an alarm would alert the neighbors and may scare off the would be robbers. I'm not too worried about smart people robbing my house and out smarting a basic system.

Regarding lights go with anything within your budget, the more the better. lighting placement is very important, the higher the better to a certain extent. Do the whole house so light covers all 360' of your house. Now we move to raising the canopy of your trees if you have them in your yard, opens it up more for the light to shine down enlightening your property. Lighting color is also important I've personally found 5000 Kelvin Temperature light to be the best for showing the most detail, but that is subjective and ultimately up to you. 

Mount your HD cameras high, some in hidden areas such as a tree, also mount some low and again 360' of house.

Alarm get something insanely loud but make sure your battery back up system can support that SPL for a longer duration. Also make sure the alarm going off doesn't send the dogs going nuts with their paws over there ears…it could happen.

Get dogs… thieves, criminals, etc. hate dogs especially aggressive ones… Honestly dogs are your best bet but you should always have what I mentioned also if the dogs get shot. 

Buy key only dead bolts that go into the door frame deep, also helps to have reinforced door frames. Reason for key only is not let them break

Let your close neighbors that you trust know when your going out of town so they can watch out for suspicious activity.

Don't post on Facebook or social media I'm going out of town… You just made potential thevies an appointment.

Keep guns and important records, jewelry, in a heavy ass safe bolted into the concrete.

Windows are a major problem and hot entry point not much you can do without spending an insane amount of money, but its very important you do the key only dead bolts cause to damn near forces them to go back through the window to get back out.

When at the house have you 12 gauge shotgun load cocked with the safety off! Thats right safety off! Now if you have small children in the house do not leave a gun laying around! Best you have a concealed Glock on you with 33rd mag or two wouldn't hurt. If your home and a home invasion takes place and they do shoot the dogs and do get through the door you will have little to know to to grab your gun load it, take the safety off etc.

I want to make it very clear if you are home and your home is invaded they WILL kill you so you better kill them first!

Regarding living in a nice neighborhood….I live in a very nice neighborhood, over the past 2 years we have had 3 home invasions, multiple vehicle wheel thefts, they were caught on camera stealing my neighbors F-350 King Ranch wheels in 45 seconds! 4 others were also hit all at once. Also had other multiple thefts of yard tools from peoples sheds, yard decorations and even 2 expensive rocking chairs very stolen off one a neighbors front porch in the middle go the day….ridiculous.

I forgot to mention some one on meth or pcp can be so high that you couple empty an entire clip in them and they will NOT go down for up to 30 seconds. Buy the scatter gun.

Hope this helps enlighten on how serious things can get especially in Texas, and how to better prepare you and your family.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!:)     

6 hours ago, ///M5 said:

First $$ is finding a hotel.  Second is food.

Museums should be done on a multi-day pass, this allows you to walk into anything at anytime and not pay.  Check the days you are there though as many things can be closed on Monday.

Any idea the budget for the hotel?

We were looking at private room hostels which are pretty affordable at around 100 a night depending on the day, budget for food is relatively unlimited (company pays for food ;) ) so hotel would preferably be under a thousand maybe more.

3 hours ago, Julian said:

We were looking at private room hostels which are pretty affordable at around 100 a night depending on the day, budget for food is relatively unlimited (company pays for food ;) ) so hotel would preferably be under a thousand maybe more.

Ah. What arrondisement are they in?  Location to start with helps a shit ton.

Hostels maybe a MESS on NYE.  Hotels near Notre dame are $280, cheaper near the cler which is way better for eating.  How far are you willing to walk to dinner?  How about during the day?

* I average nearly 30mi a day when in cities like Paris so I don't want to tell you what I would do without knowing more about what you are willing to do

Curious what the meal price you can spend is too.  I am nuts about food...but will spend whatever for the right meal.

5 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Hostels maybe a MESS on NYE.  Hotels near Notre dame are $280, cheaper near the cler which is way better for eating.  How far are you willing to walk to dinner?  How about during the day?

* I average nearly 30mi a day when in cities like Paris so I don't want to tell you what I would do without knowing more about what you are willing to do

Walking isn't a big deal we can utilize public transport when needed, a couple miles wouldn't be out of the question. 

$100 per day/person for food wouldn't be bad, more if it's worth it for an especially nice meal.

i need to do some more solid planning, we can reserve the hostel ahead of time so as long as the reservation is kept we should be fine on NYE.  I believe the hostel we were looking is at  9-11 Place du Colonel Fabien 

$200 per couple per day can be done for food really nicely.  Means an el cheapo breakfast and lunch and a great dinner.

That hostel is up by Gare d'nord which has no museums, no great restaurants, and no real sights.  I personally would try to find one in the 7th arrondisement, or the 1st or 4th.  Focusing on getting as close to the Seine as possible in the latter too.  The 7th you can be a bit off and still be in great neighborhoods.

What days of the week will you be there?

Not today, but once I know your layout of days/times/locations I will give you an overview of the sights.  I've been either remote and on my phone and don't want to type a book on it, or like today it is Thanksgiving and I am cooking breakfast between posts ;P

11 hours ago, Julian said:

Walking isn't a big deal we can utilize public transport when needed, a couple miles wouldn't be out of the question. 

$100 per day/person for food wouldn't be bad, more if it's worth it for an especially nice meal.

i need to do some more solid planning, we can reserve the hostel ahead of time so as long as the reservation is kept we should be fine on NYE.  I believe the hostel we were looking is at  9-11 Place du Colonel Fabien 

The place where I'm staying is 76e / night but it's about 30 miles south of Paris and it's closes on December 11. If you don't want to stay in Paris you can try to stay in a hotel which is close to one of their railway lines. Google RER C for instance. 

This is my third week (first of this trip) so far south of Paris and I still haven't visited Paris. Work work work...

This weekend my girlfriend is flying in, so we'll be visiting Paris.