Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I like mine so much I am getting rid of it. tongue.png

Actually it is nice enough it is making it hard for me to choose a different car.

Fuck Mercedes. I hate working on them. But their CAN networks are really advanced, and 2 classes are specifically on CAN networking, so I am hoping to pull a lot of info out of these classes. At my current shop I have been seeing a lot of network issues, and nobody here knows how to properly diagnose them, or more to the point the shop does not have the tooling required to do it very well. Fortunately I do have the equipment. I honestly have not worked at a shop where I have to pull out the scope every day, but here I can easily say it is in use 10 times a week or better. Admittedly I see more serial BUS and CCD BUS (CAN B) than CAN, but it is all somewhat related. We are staring to see more CAN failures in the aftermarket, as these cars are out of warranty now. But admittedly these systems rarely fail under warranty, so the dealers are not very well equipped to handle them.

Network failures are big money, and being one of very few techs in this area with a lot of hands on makes it a winner for me. I foresee these failures as the next boom in my industry, and hopefully I can get back to seeing pre-9/11 money again, on the flat rate side... which also means a boost in my bonus schedule.

I also have a Merc electronic brake system class and a J2534 class. I am looking forward to the J class, as it is currently the most common ECU architecture, but the brake class sounds fucking boring.

Mercedes training out of town Friday and Saturday... Yay?

>

>On a positive note, my cousin lives nearby and her husband brews some spectacular stouts! Time for a house crash!

>ockquote>

cars and beer whats not to like haha?

Mercedes are the best cars evaaaarrr

Fixed

Hahahahaha!!!

Oh wait, were you being serious?

Here is where I get to go:

http://www.asteshow.com/

Only going Friday and Saturday though. I leave out of town at ~ 6AM Friday and get home at ~8PM Saturday.

Can anyone recommend some optics for lessening eye strain while staring at a computer screen for roughly 8 hours a day?

not nessarily for eye strain but i use an program called flux. turns the screen color to a warm orange/yellow during the evening/night.

I feel like I should go drive an Escalade again...but am pretty sure the result will make me not excited.

New models are coming out next spring, aren't they?

No not being serious, but I do really enjoy mine. They are a huge pain in the ass to work on that's for sure.

The owners of the Minnesota Vikings were ordered to pay nearly $85 million in damages to former business partners they defrauded with "evil motive", and will face a criminal investigation into their actions, which a judge declared violated racketeering laws. There's a chance this ruling could hold up plans for a new Vikings stadium.

Zygi Wilf, the majority owner of the team, and his brother Mark and cousin Leonard were found liable for fraud, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty, for their roles in scamming former partners out of the profits of a New Jersey apartment complex. The Wilfs withheld revenues and charged unauthorized fees and interest payments for decades. "Organized crime-type activities," the judge called them, finding they violated the state's RICO act.

Actually it is nice enough it is making it hard for me to choose a different car.

Fuck Mercedes. I hate working on them. But their CAN networks are really advanced, and 2 classes are specifically on CAN networking, so I am hoping to pull a lot of info out of these classes. At my current shop I have been seeing a lot of network issues, and nobody here knows how to properly diagnose them, or more to the point the shop does not have the tooling required to do it very well. Fortunately I do have the equipment. I honestly have not worked at a shop where I have to pull out the scope every day, but here I can easily say it is in use 10 times a week or better. Admittedly I see more serial BUS and CCD BUS (CAN B) than CAN, but it is all somewhat related. We are staring to see more CAN failures in the aftermarket, as these cars are out of warranty now. But admittedly these systems rarely fail under warranty, so the dealers are not very well equipped to handle them.

Network failures are big money, and being one of very few techs in this area with a lot of hands on makes it a winner for me. I foresee these failures as the next boom in my industry, and hopefully I can get back to seeing pre-9/11 money again, on the flat rate side... which also means a boost in my bonus schedule.

I also have a Merc electronic brake system class and a J2534 class. I am looking forward to the J class, as it is currently the most common ECU architecture, but the brake class sounds fucking boring.

Are there big differences in the CAN's?  I was under the impression that there was one CAN bus being used.  :Doh:

I feel like I should go drive an Escalade again...but am pretty sure the result will make me not excited.

New models are coming out next spring, aren't they?

Yes, but I only buy shit that is at least 3 years old.  New ones look WAY better in and out.  Out is sort of funny as the ones I've seen were in the white/black leopard covering.

The owners of the Minnesota Vikings were ordered to pay nearly $85 million in damages to former business partners they defrauded with "evil motive", and will face a criminal investigation into their actions, which a judge declared violated racketeering laws. There's a chance this ruling could hold up plans for a new Vikings stadium.

Zygi Wilf, the majority owner of the team, and his brother Mark and cousin Leonard were found liable for fraud, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty, for their roles in scamming former partners out of the profits of a New Jersey apartment complex. The Wilfs withheld revenues and charged unauthorized fees and interest payments for decades. "Organized crime-type activities," the judge called them, finding they violated the state's RICO act.

That is about 2 months old and already rectified.  Stadium is moving forward

for those of you who are not friends with me on facebook....

Ct7c57D.png

Are there big differences in the CAN's? I was under the impression that there was one CAN bus being used. Doh.gif

There are several network protocols. CAN BUS is by far the fastest, and is the primary protocol for current vehicles. Some vehicles use CAN, CCD, or serial, others use combinations of the three. Some use a comb, or a splice pack where all data meets on a shared line, some use a central computer to receive and disburse data on the network, a central gateway computer to steal Chysler's term. Some run the data in a series line set, others use a parallel line set. Some use a combination of some or all of these types of data distribution.

These systems are very complex, so training is incredibly valuable.

ockquote>

Are there big differences in the CAN's? I was under the impression that there was one CAN bus being used. Doh.gif
There are several network protocols. CAN BUS is by far the fastest, and is the primary protocol for current vehicles. Some vehicles use CAN, CCD, or serial, others use combinations of the three. Some use a comb, or a splice pack where all data meets on a shared line, some use a central computer to receive and disburse data on the network, a central gateway computer to steal Chysler's term. Some run the data in a series line set, others use a parallel line set. Some use a combination of some or all of these types of data distribution.

The Porsche/VW use CAN don't they?  Thought that is what I read.  Of course my need is REALLY simple.  I just want to translate the CAN signals coming from the steering wheel buttons into "key" presses.  Was pretty sure I found a box to do that, but then walked away since I hadn't bought a car yet.

Speaking of.  The 2006 I drove yesterday was nice.  Surprised that it still "felt" slower than my ML.  It was a 500hp TurboS too.   Sort of a bummer.  Blew a radiator hose on it too.

ockquote>

I also have a Merc electronic brake system class and a J2534 class. I am looking forward to the J class, as it is currently the most common ECU architecture, but the brake class sounds fucking boring.lockquote>Are there big differences in the CAN's? I was under the impression that there was one CAN bus being used. Doh.gif

The Porsche/VW use CAN don't they?  Thought that is what I read.  Of course my need is REALLY simple.  I just want to translate the CAN signals coming from the steering wheel buttons into "key" presses.  Was pretty sure I found a box to do that, but then walked away since I hadn't bought a car yet.

the ASWC-1 should do it you could interpret from the 3.5mm HU jack (should be fairly straight forward) if you wanted to get that far into it. 

Definitely somewhat paranoid about buying a 60-70k mile Porsche and driving it for another 80k miles, but I'm also somewhat excited.  It will allow me to get a car in 3 years and still have it as a tow vehicle.

>> 

ockquote>

I also have a Merc electronic brake system class and a J2534 class. I am looking forward to the J class, as it is currently the most common ECU architecture, but the brake class sounds fucking boring.lockquote> Are there big differences in the CAN's? I was under the impression that there was one CAN bus being used. Doh.giflockquote>There are several network protocols. CAN BUS is by far the fastest, and is the primary protocol for current vehicles. Some vehicles use CAN, CCD, or serial, others use combinations of the three. Some use a comb, or a splice pack where all data meets on a shared line, some use a central computer to receive and disburse data on the network, a central gateway computer to steal Chysler's term. Some run the data in a series line set, others use a parallel line set. Some use a combination of some or all of these types of data distribution.

the ASWC-1 should do it you could interpret from the 3.5mm HU jack (should be fairly straight forward) if you wanted to get that far into it. 

And that has resistive outs as well, no?  Think that is what I was thinking.  Taking the output from it into a JoyConn USB converter that the tablet will see as a Keyboard.  That way I can map any key to any function and basically use the steering wheel as a keyboard.

The keys are in a SUPER stupid place on the Porsche though.

>>> 

ockquote>

I also have a Merc electronic brake system class and a J2534 class. I am looking forward to the J class, as it is currently the most common ECU architecture, but the brake class sounds fucking boring.lockquote> Are there big differences in the CAN's? I was under the impression that there was one CAN bus being used. Doh.giflockquote> There are several network protocols. CAN BUS is by far the fastest, and is the primary protocol for current vehicles. Some vehicles use CAN, CCD, or serial, others use combinations of the three. Some use a comb, or a splice pack where all data meets on a shared line, some use a central computer to receive and disburse data on the network, a central gateway computer to steal Chysler's term. Some run the data in a series line set, others use a parallel line set. Some use a combination of some or all of these types of data distribution.

lockquote>

And that has resistive outs as well, no?  Think that is what I was thinking.  Taking the output from it into a JoyConn USB converter that the tablet will see as a Keyboard.  That way I can map any key to any function and basically use the steering wheel as a keyboard.

The keys are in a SUPER stupid place on the Porsche though.

I'm not sure I haven't really messed with the ASWC-1 outside of normal installs.. "Presumably" it doesn't output data through the HP jack, maybe it does it like those HP you can get with the remotes integrated to skip/pause.. etc? Although its just speculation at this point..

That should be a resistive out.  At least that was my understanding.  Each key has a different "resistance".  The JoyConn will read that and convert it into keystrokes on a virtual keyboard.

ockquote>

I also have a Merc electronic brake system class and a J2534 class. I am looking forward to the J class, as it is currently the most common ECU architecture, but the brake class sounds fucking boring.lockquote>Are there big differences in the CAN's? I was under the impression that there was one CAN bus being used. Doh.gif

Yeah, most will, the newer vehicles do. As far as steering wheel controls, I am sure there are. Older Buicks used serial data and there were available translators for them. Can is a much faster, lower voltage data transmission, with a lot more data transferring across the lines. While not as easy to translate, it is still possible...

Saw someone write custom code for an Arduino to do it....just didn't want to take the time to do that.  Much rather spend $50 and git 'er done

But if it does output data, you could figure out what the ASWC-1 sends out per button command then send it to something like an Arduino to interpret it then send it to the tablet somehow? even if it's hardwired to a usb keyboard that just completes the circuit for that key.

pretty over complicated maybe, lol.

Surprised you haven't read me the riot act on the Cayenne Turbo's.  In particular with the growing pains they had.

But if it does output data, you could figure out what the ASWC-1 sends out per button command then send it to something like an Arduino to interpret it then send it to the tablet somehow? even if it's hardwired to a usb keyboard that just completes the circuit for that key.

ASWC -> JoyConn via USB -> Tablet.  3 minutes of programming on the pC and DONE

ASWC -> JoyConn via USB -> Tablet.  3 minutes of programming on the pC and DONE

better than my idea :P