Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Big green egg guys, can you take a look at the Vision grills pro kamado grill and see how it would compare to the egg?

http://www.visiongrills.com/grills/professional-c-series/

Actually it is funny you ask. I have been researching the Kamodo style grills. Honestly the Kamodo Kamodo OTB is what I think I am going to jump on. The BGE has a stout following as it is one of the very first that went mainstream, but it has never changed over the course of it's popularity. The price is still up there and it is basically a non-optioned unit. Kamodo's OTB has seen changes, apparently for the better. The warranty coverage is better, the ceramic is a better insulator, and it has many of the same offerings as the BGE. My understanding is that manual control is easier, and it will maintain longer low temp situations than the BGE because of improved air flow control and better insulation.

Take from that what you will, both units are top notch. Obviously each will have it's benefits and drawbacks and the BGE in it's current form has proven to be among the top 2 or 3 units for years now.

Isn't the Komodo like $4k?  I came close to getting it myself...

The big Komodo is, but there is also a large BGE equivalent that is ~$800

Must be new, the OTB was about that when I was shopping.  Did they make one without the tiles?

Not that I know of, but don't quote me on that.

Big green egg guys, can you take a look at the Vision grills pro kamado grill and see how it would compare to the egg?

http://www.visiongrills.com/grills/professional-c-series/

Actually it is funny you ask. I have been researching the Kamodo style grills. Honestly the Kamodo Kamodo OTB is what I think I am going to jump on. The BGE has a stout following as it is one of the very first that went mainstream, but it has never changed over the course of it's popularity. The price is still up there and it is basically a non-optioned unit. Kamodo's OTB has seen changes, apparently for the better. The warranty coverage is better, the ceramic is a better insulator, and it has many of the same offerings as the BGE. My understanding is that manual control is easier, and it will maintain longer low temp situations than the BGE because of improved air flow control and better insulation.

Take from that what you will, both units are top notch. Obviously each will have it's benefits and drawbacks and the BGE in it's current form has proven to be among the top 2 or 3 units for years now.

Isn't the Komodo like $4k?  I came close to getting it myself...

The big Komodo is, but there is also a large BGE equivalent that is ~$800

Must be new, the OTB was about that when I was shopping.  Did they make one without the tiles?

Not that I know of, but don't quote me on that.

Interesting, I figured with the tiles there was no way they could get the price down.  I love the way they look.

699 with stand and cover and a couple other things. Same size as the "large" egg. The grills also flip in half making adding fuel a little easier I suppose.

Come with flip up side tables too.

699 with stand and cover and a couple other things. Same size as the "large" egg. The grills also flip in half making adding fuel a little easier I suppose.

For that I wouldn't get the knock off

The flip grills don't matter.

I have yet to need to add fuel during a cook.  

Longest I've done is 26hrs I think and there was still plenty left, I don't think 30+ would be to hard.  

Longest I've done is 26hrs I think and there was still plenty left, I don't think 30+ would be to hard.  

I've done a more than 48hr on a load.  It was two cooks obviously.

Last time I bought charcoal though I bought the Primo brand stuff, I don't think it lasts near as long as the BGE stuff.  

for half the cost, I would.

for half the cost, I would.

My stand was $20.  Egg is about $700.  Seems not like half.

The flip grills don't matter.

I have yet to need to add fuel during a cook.  

Yeah, with the Egg its kind of like a propane grill. Load up the Egg with fuel, and if you have any left after the cook, just close the vents to snuff out the fire. They'll be ready to go for the next cook.

Speaking of grilling, I hope the rain lets up to use my grill this weekend.

J

Dealer here wants like 200 for the stand, 100 for the cover. 900 for the egg, not sure on the stone or second rack and side tables.

My boss just bought his with the above additions plus a couple bags of lump charcoal. 1680 out the door.

Seth, thanks for the Can Bus link. I need to get up to speed with it, if only for research purposes. 

Fucking people selling cars. I expected better when dealing with private sellers instead of dealers. Was I wrong...

Yesterday's Miata supposedly wasn't driven in some time and the engine stalled after running a bit. Then after a restart it ran without problems. And now the guy won't answer his phone so I can ask some other details. 

The wire going to the candle is damaged as per the seller's email. By some google translate reasoning I assume candle = spark plug, so a damaged spark plug lead.