Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Those would all be a fine replacement for your current lens. I would choose the first one if you like to shoot scenery or builtings.

Wider the angle, the more you get.

Thanks Matt, that is what I was thinking,but wanted some opinions.

That is what most of my pics are. I never do any portrait shooting.

16-50 for sure. Indoors longer than that is only good for head shots.

turn the volume up you can hear the target clink

So I am currently in the planning stages of my new rifle. Looking at a Savage 22-250 Rem, and have made up my mind on what I will be investing in, and the tweeks forthcoming. Still contemplating glass, but I already have my barrel, rings, mount, lug, and bipod figured out. I am going to give the Accutrigger a try, as the rifle I am getting offers it in a clean 1 pound pull.

I have decided to get my youngest son a nice all around rifle. I am pretty much set on a .243 Win for him. This will allow him a nice rifle to keep up with my 22-250 Rem for varminting duties, plus he will be able to use it for local deer and most other eastern big game.

But with the 22-250 I have a big gap in my big game duties. Obviously when you consider that I am looking at a 22-250 (I will be looking at 75Gr hot loads and a 8 or 9 twist) I want a rifle that will handle long range duties. I want tack drivers.

In my research I came across a killer round. 6.5-284 Norma. I have been looking at ballistics and it is extremely impressive at long distances. From coyotes at 700 yards to elk at 925 yards, this round is devastating. The elk takes about 10 steps and collapses.

Ammunition is expensive as hell, but loading costs will be modest. There are plenty manufacturers producing the rifles, and it will cost me a fuck ton less then my 22-250.

Yes, I know a .308 does very well at big distance, and a 7MM would be better suited for suck big game, but honestly I may take a whitetail at 600 yards, but I am not hunting elk any time soon. I like that the 6.5-284 is such an odd round as well. While everyone is pulling out their .308s, 30-06s and 7MMs I will be pulling out a 800 yard tack driver.

Anyone have any experience with the Norma round?

It's absurd, but .300 win mag is one of the most popular white tail guns around here.

I would take a 7mm magnum over it. And if your not shooting really far a 7mm WSM is pretty awesome and fits into a short action.

7mm ballistics are awesome for the bigger boolits.

I'm going to build a 6.5 CM I think.

Vortex scopes are a great value. I have played with one and it's great.

My personal choice is/was USOptics. Spendy as all fuck, but impressive and the EREK knob is Fucking sex.

http://www.usoptics.com/

If you are interested in their product I might know a guy who can get a deal. He did me pretty solid.

I got a grip extension with my new lens today. I'm affraid to weigh this rig now.

The big white bad son of a bitch is dense. I cannot wait to take some practice shots.

If you're not taking down elk, anything in 6 or 7mm will do just fine.

Hard to argue with .243 Win for dropping deer

I got a grip extension with my new lens today. I'm affraid to weigh this rig now.

The big white bad son of a bitch is dense. I cannot wait to take some practice shots.

Slap it on the 70d and weigh it up even more. Effin' heavy.

There is a sigma 17-50 2.8 OS on CL for $350 said they'd take 325. Thinking about picking it up, taking it to asia, returning and then selling it when my Canon returns. Noisy focus so it isn't great for video, but otherwise extremely comparable to the Canon.

Thanks for the well wishes Matt. I'm planning on submitting it this week as the current job is truly becoming more aggrivating. More changes in the way we process things, and the addition of 'big brother' and It is becoming absurd.

J

So I am currently in the planning stages of my new rifle. Looking at a Savage 22-250 Rem, and have made up my mind on what I will be investing in, and the tweeks forthcoming. Still contemplating glass, but I already have my barrel, rings, mount, lug, and bipod figured out. I am going to give the Accutrigger a try, as the rifle I am getting offers it in a clean 1 pound pull.

I have decided to get my youngest son a nice all around rifle. I am pretty much set on a .243 Win for him. This will allow him a nice rifle to keep up with my 22-250 Rem for varminting duties, plus he will be able to use it for local deer and most other eastern big game.

But with the 22-250 I have a big gap in my big game duties. Obviously when you consider that I am looking at a 22-250 (I will be looking at 75Gr hot loads and a 8 or 9 twist) I want a rifle that will handle long range duties. I want tack drivers.

In my research I came across a killer round. 6.5-284 Norma. I have been looking at ballistics and it is extremely impressive at long distances. From coyotes at 700 yards to elk at 925 yards, this round is devastating. The elk takes about 10 steps and collapses.

Ammunition is expensive as hell, but loading costs will be modest. There are plenty manufacturers producing the rifles, and it will cost me a fuck ton less then my 22-250.

Yes, I know a .308 does very well at big distance, and a 7MM would be better suited for suck big game, but honestly I may take a whitetail at 600 yards, but I am not hunting elk any time soon. I like that the 6.5-284 is such an odd round as well. While everyone is pulling out their .308s, 30-06s and 7MMs I will be pulling out a 800 yard tack driver.

Anyone have any experience with the Norma round?

It's absurd, but .300 win mag is one of the most popular white tail guns around here.

I would take a 7mm magnum over it. And if your not shooting really far a 7mm WSM is pretty awesome and fits into a short action.

7mm ballistics are awesome for the bigger boolits.

I'm going to build a 6.5 CM I think.

i'd look into the 300 mag

Not wanting a common caliber though or a mag.

Why a Creedmoor Matt? A 6.5-55 or a 6.5-284 both offer better ballistics and heavier load options because of their case size.

6.5CM is a much more gentle cartridge. It also fits in magazines that are .308 compatible.

So I can shoot more in a day without my body hurting, have 2-3 times the bbl life, and have more interchangeable parts.

The 284 doesn't fit in a short action if I recall correctly. I have also considered the 7mm-08. But the 6.5 is just a peach to shoot. The terminal ballistics are of no use for target shooting, they will shoot about the same. For hunting, the 6.5 is a great round. It will kill almost anything humanely up here.

Finally if I ever decide to convert my AR, it would be to 6.5. Then I have everything simple and easy.

When I have my rifle built I'm also going to make a matching large magnum rifle. Then if I ever need more energy or distance, I will have it.

Edited by dem beats

The 6.5-55 and the .260 are so close to the 6.5 CM it's almost a moot point. The .260 is another great option but..... As you mentioned, not obscure enough.

:)

I have a small obsession with the WSM cartridges too. For no good reason either. But they have less perceived recoil and a bit more efficiency than the regular magnums. I forget what I read as to why, but shorter fat cartridges perform better than long ones in general. So 7mmWSM sounds like a Fucking champ.

Cant decide, I may trade my 71 for this 79 Dually? 

My 71 = fresh 355cu, TH400, all new interior, new paint. NO AC NO HEAT

null_zps45362e87.jpg

The 79 C30 - 49k original miles, 454cu, TH400, everything works, Ice cold AC, highly optioned truck and has had nice money put into doing the suspension the right way. 

null_zpsb16fb8a5.jpg

Edited by swift

You change cars more than some people change underpants.

I would keep the yours and add heat and AC.

You change cars more than some people change underpants.

I would keep the yours and add heat and AC.

I know its fun and addictive, my wife just shakes her head at this point and almost doesnt even know what is actually mine anymore, haha.

I love my 71 but something about this Dually I just think its wicked looking. Once my buddy decided to sell it I figured I would drive it ad think it over. This would be a good one to actually drive daily as where my 71 just sits alot and only gets out when pretty

If you don't have AC and Heat, I say get the 79.  Screw a driver without AC, especially in TN.  

I didn't know the drop on yours was so low.

Having it available for a DD would be nice.

Hell, I wish I had time to look around for cars.

Ermagerd I'm still fapping over this lens. It's hard to use discretely... Lol.

I need a mattress......

The amount of glass packed into this package must be unreal. It's so fuggin heavy. I need some subjects to practice on so I can get some shots at the funeral.

It also makes me want even more lenses. The extra 65mm of zoom is awesome. Way cooler than I expected. With a 1.4 or 2x adapter I will be like the paparazzi of get togethers.