Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Heck, my truck was missing two injectors for a while and plugs never look ANYTHING like that.  Those plugs were new maybe 3 years and 40k miles ago?  

Injectors were super easy though, 1.5hrs from start to finish.  

Shit would be handy if you use a raspberry pi for stuff.

That nasty one was in the hole they said had a dead injector and they claimed to have scoped the hole, so to me that means pulling the plug, and they just put it back in seeing that nasty thing??  

That plug is oil-fouled and covered in sludge. It's leaking oil by in a bad way.

That nasty one was in the hole they said had a dead injector and they claimed to have scoped the hole, so to me that means pulling the plug, and they just put it back in seeing that nasty thing??  

No need to remove the plug. Run an inductive pickup on the plug wire or a low amp inductive in the case of a COP.

That plug is oil-fouled and covered in sludge. It's leaking oil by in a bad way.

Looks like a valve stem seal, actually. It appears to be caked and fluffy on one side, which is indicative of that. When it stops firing the oil just saturates the build up.

Here's some more stuff you can read Sean:

http://linuxcommand.org/lc3_learning_the_shell.php

http://www.howtogeek.com/140679/beginner-geek-how-to-start-using-the-linux-terminal/

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/11/50-linux-commands/

I can setup an account for you on a linux box if you want to try stuff out (terminal-wise).

quoted fir a later read non_mobile

Looks like a valve stem seal, actually. It appears to be caked and fluffy on one side, which is indicative of that. When it stops firing the oil just saturates the build up.

You guys rock.  

So ford guys. Speaking of spark plugs how often should I change them? My wife has a 96 mercury cougar xr7 (same engine as the mustang gt). It has around 120k mi on it and the only major maintenance I've done on it was the coolant/oil filter manifold gasket

So ford guys. Speaking of spark plugs how often should I change them? My wife has a 96 mercury cougar xr7 (same engine as the mustang gt). It has around 120k mi on it and the only major maintenance I've done on it was the coolant/oil filter manifold gasket

That's a non-PI engine.  Same as 96-98 GTs.    If you get platinums and don't notice a miss or anything, you can get by with 100K or more.  I would change them if you haven't yet.  Do plug wires as well.

That's a non-PI engine. Same as 96-98 GTs. If you get platinums and don't notice a miss or anything, you can get by with 100K or more. I would change them if you haven't yet. Do plug wires as well.

It seems to possibly burn oil not entirely sure. Oil level hasn't dropped but you can smell a burning oil smell when a.c. is on. Maybe a slow leak somewhere?

Here's some more stuff you can read Sean:

http://linuxcommand.org/lc3_learning_the_shell.php

http://www.howtogeek.com/140679/beginner-geek-how-to-start-using-the-linux-terminal/

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/11/50-linux-commands/

I can setup an account for you on a linux box if you want to try stuff out (terminal-wise).

Saving for later

That's a non-PI engine.  Same as 96-98 GTs.    If you get platinums and don't notice a miss or anything, you can get by with 100K or more.  I would change them if you haven't yet.  Do plug wires as well.

Yeah, I think Ford recommends them at 90K but I see platinums go way more than that.

Rear suspension was just rails this morning, whole chassis shines now. Not perfect, but I'm done.

The non-shiny part is under the gas tank. Even that got wet sanded and cleaned up a bit.

So much work for a sled. Why all the hard work, you usually buy a new sled every other year?

Edited by dem beats

This one will have ALL the updates of the 2014 model with a fresh engine and fully fresh bearings add a better track, better shock valving, better gauges, handlebar riser, better bars, better throttle block, longer rails, bogeys, ski's etc.

I am not getting rid of this one for a long time. At some point it will be delegated to my second sled, but that'll be a while. For a backup I really prefer to have an old simple sled with a carburettor. Nothing exotic and all super EASY parts to get anywhere.

That and it will be quicker, more responsive and more fun than any sled sold in any dealer in the country. And obviously WAY cheaper to build one than to buy.

Rode my other sled 100mi yesterday otherwise the front end or engine would be back together too.

Instead, it sits in a box in the house

IMAG0792_zps27302fa9.jpg

Looking good Sean.

Rode my other sled 100mi yesterday otherwise the front end or engine would be back together too.

Instead, it sits in a box in the house

IMAG0792_zps27302fa9.jpg

Looks like a start to a fun project!  :)

And Matt, it isn't work when it is fun. I NEED some garage night projects, but I shouldn't have waited so long. I didn't allocate time for a machine shop to press on bearings & do a hone, nor the powder coat which set me back 3 weeks. Otherwise she'd be nearly ready to roll.

To do list that is left:

Rivet on cooler - 1hr

Wash sled - 20m

Assemble front suspension - 1hr

Replace all bolts in rear suspension (should arrive Monday) - 30m

Install gas tank & seat - 2hr (20m if I am lucky)

Put the motor together - whopping 20 bolts or so, lol - 1hr (again 20m...)

Clean up wiring - 1hr

Install motor - 45m

Install front end and skis - 30m

Break the bitch in - woot.gif