Randal Johnson

Cablguy184's 1949 Ford Tudor Sedan

Awesome news for you.

Thank you Sir !!!

I'm trying not to call this a "budget build", but I HAVE to spend what little funds I have availiable VERY wisely ... And this will help 4 sure !!!

What, no custom chassis, quick change IRS, coilover IFS, rack and pinion, 20" alloys or $15k paint job? LAME!!! ;):lol: :lol:

I wish

The only suggestions I have are:

a.) Lake pipes, with or without exhaust cutouts

OR

b.) Exhaust system with cutouts

OR

c.) Straight pipes

Ford Flathead without mufflers is pure ear sex.

No cutouts needed because this will be a street cruizer ... Not a race car of any kind.

Now for the pipes, if it was a flat 8 ... There would be no question about straight 2.5" dual exhaust. But with this a flat 6, not sure how it would sound ... But I am thinking about installing a Y pipe and running dual 2.5" pipes with old school glass packs installed just before the rear end and 90'd out after the rear tires ... Similar to my truck ...

You Guys are going to think I've gone crazy nutz ... But I just had a thought and wanted your opinions ...

I'm not sure what color for the interior, but I had this idea to call Ray at Linear Power and get the color code for my "Plum Crazy" Linear Power amplifiers to use as the exterior paint for this car ...

Insane ???

I think that color would look really good on that car.

Nice project for sure, plum crazy purple would really make it stand out as well. I say go for it! jman.gif

I am not a huge fan of flashy colors, but I don't think it would look terrible. I have seen a matte black 49 ford before. It looked excellent.

Thank you guys !!! 

OR

OR

c.) Straight pipes

You mean a flathead V8?  It has a flathead in it now.  I do agree with you though.  Lakepipes are the ONLY way to run a flathead V8, and IMO, is what this car should run.

Beautiful ride!  I just sold those bumper extensions a couple months ago.   I happen to be a big fan of the baby moons and large whitewalls.

No way I would paint it. I would CLR the entire outside, buff it then clear coat over what's there. White walls and baby moons or even the stock steel wheels painted red with white walls.

Cool car and I'm sure you will have fun whichever direction you go.

OR

OR

c.) Straight pipes

You mean a flathead V8?  It has a flathead in it now.  I do agree with you though.  Lakepipes are the ONLY way to run a flathead V8, and IMO, is what this car should run.

Beautiful ride!  I just sold those bumper extensions a couple months ago.   I happen to be a big fan of the baby moons and large whitewalls.

All the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury flatheads sound great running straight pipes IMO

OR

OR

c.) Straight pipes

You mean a flathead V8? It has a flathead in it now. I do agree with you though. Lakepipes are the ONLY way to run a flathead V8, and IMO, is what this car should run.

Beautiful ride! I just sold those bumper extensions a couple months ago. I happen to be a big fan of the baby moons and large whitewalls.

Thanks man ... The exhaust setup that's on there now is surprisingly in great shape. I'm going to leave it "as is" for now ...

No way I would paint it. I would CLR the entire outside, buff it then clear coat over what's there. White walls and baby moons or even the stock steel wheels painted red with white walls.

Thanks !!! Body work has already been started. She will be painted "plum crazy" purple ...

definitely tuned in for this.

Thank you brother ... Hoping to drive her down you way in October for Cruzin the Coast ... Then to Unified World Finals later that month ...

Thanks !!! Body work has already been started. She will be painted "plum crazy" purple ...
Also, the plans are to put the absolute biggest wheels I can fit under her and get her as low to the ground as possible ... Just got to figure out what suspension setup we will go with when we start suspension upgrades ... We are mainly concentrating on interior / body modifications / repair first ...

What, no custom chassis, quick change IRS, coilover IFS, rack and pinion, 20" alloys or $15k paint job? LAME!!! wink.pnglaugh.png:lol:

This is the direction I want to go with this car ... Eventually !!!

But I must take baby steps. I do not have the budget to tear it all apart and build a practically bran new car ...

I found these pics using Google ...

image_url-43297-1368426964.jpg

image_url-43297-1368426891.jpg

image_url-43297-1368426997.jpg

image_url-43297-1368426929.jpg

looking at my car and then looking closely to these pics, you can tell that there is MASSIVE modification work done to the body of these cars !!! Some I plan to do to mine ... Like the frenched in head lights, going with 2 windows on each side instead of 4, body stance ... Many details !!!

This weekend we had do most of the body work on my truck and get it ready for paint, so we didn't have time to work on the 49. Once the truck is done with a new paint job, Its open season on the 49 !!!

Edited by Cablguy184

This car's wheel hubs have the same bolt pattern as the Ford Rangers trucks and Mazda trucks ... My dad is running a NICE set of Mazda wheels on his 49.

Think I scored on a very nice set of Ford Ranger Stock Aluminum wheels with good "hard to find according to used tire shops" 15" tires on them ... Nothing I plan to keep on this ride forever, but should look alot nicer than those stock and totally rusted steel wheels ... I will post pics if the deal goes through, and hopefully I will have them to install on the car this weekend ...

I'm assuming that this guy hasn't picked up his 20s for his truck yet cause he hasn't brought me my wheels ...

May have to go with plan B. Not real sure what plan B is yet ...

Now this is cool ... (quoted from CA-F)

Also, i notice you have a floor patch near the front of transmission tunnel on floor.....I THINK I have a new in box 3spd floor shifter that i got to use on the old '39 ford coupe, but I never got around to installing it. I'd have to find it, but it's your's if you're interested.

Absolutely ...

Alritey, think it's at the Starkville house in storage, I'll dig it out and drop it by on my way back to Vicksburg. About to head up there today, gotta couple graduations I gotta attend.

This is done !!! Awesome looking "old school" floor shifter at my house ready to go on the car !!!

Thanks Mike !!! I will take and post pics this weekend !!!

all those examples.... I'd make love to those cars... everything is sooooo clean!!! 

OR

OR

c.) Straight pipes

All the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury flatheads sound great running straight pipes IMO
WOW ... Dad found us a parts car for the 49s that has a jam-up (well, what the owner said) flathead v8 / 3 speed tranny ... might just run the 6 for now and take my time and build me a tricked out flathead v8 !!!

I'm not counting on this yet ... we need to go see the car and make the decisions this weekend ... hopefully

all those examples.... I'd make love to those cars... everything is sooooo clean!!!

Yea, they are sexy 4 sure !!! Hope I can make mine look that good ... LOTS of detailed body work !!!

Edelbrock makes a great head and supercharger for the FLATHEAD V8.

Edelbrock makes a great head and supercharger for the FLATHEAD V8.

Would be nice. But not needed for this build ...

But I am hoping to find a tripple 2 barrel setup for the flat 6 and a set of headers ...

If I can catch a brake from the truck, I'd like to get my brakes back together, get me some wheels and tires on and take this girl around the block ...

I have a set of bucket seats out of our '96 Chevy parts truck that I can use in this car. They will need to be completely recovered but measurements show that they should fit (bracket wise) perfectly into the old Ford !!! Hopefully later I can set it up to where all the electrical parts work when she gets switched over to 12 volts ...

Small update ... No pics at this time, Sorry.

Got her brakes fixed, got stock wheels with decent tires mounted, and loaded up on the trailer and brought her home !!!

I got her completely changed (engine only, lets get real here ...) over to a 12 volt system. Just got to install an Alternator so it will charge normal.

Going to install a complete wiring harness as soon as possible. But for now, just have the key switch set up so it will start up and shut down the car normally ...

I just googled and found a Dakota Digital dash cluster set for this car ... DAMN THEY ARE EXPENSIVE !!! ... Maybe later

I will start looking up air conditioner setups later too ...

I have to get out and find a suitable fuel tank so we can driver her around the block a few times in the near future ...

In all actuality ... I do not see any reason why we couldn't plan out the dash and kick pannel drivers and start a little audio fabrication soon ...

Sounds like she's coming along nicely.

J

Thank You Sir ... LOTS of work to do, Building a Street Rod is the fun part of owning a Street Rod !!!

Man if you need any help. You know where to find me. I know a chroming shop that can do objects up to 10x10in up in Memphis

I will definately have to find me a good chrome shop !!! Thank you Sir !!!

Tons of options dash wise that don't require the huge markup of the Dakota stuff which IMO is underwhelming. You've got plenty of dash to build up your own layout of standard gauges.