Randal Johnson

Cablguy184's 1949 Ford Tudor Sedan

This just in fron my Hyper Automotive LEDs and HIDs sponsor ... Thank you Mike !!!

Well.....she is getting new headlights here soon. The vintage headlights will be "chopped and screwed" to allow a replaceable bulb to be used. Then a 35w HID setup will be added. Still debating on light color, but since they will be made to look factory, it would prolly be best not to go too wild in color.....BUT, factory look when off and crazy color when on might be a "cool factor". Either way, they're gonna be bright as all get-out!!!

On another note, I'm gonna look into recreating the factory lenses(normally white smooth plastic) so they will be clear with a diffused inner side.

Hopefully we can get started on the front fenders soon and french in those headlight bezels / trim rings and get these things installed soon !!!

I'm on vacation all next week so maybe I can get some work done to this old car and post up some updates !!!

Front Suspension ... well, rear suspension too

Mustang II parts can be had for cheap also.

I see a lot of people using these setups for older, light weight cars ... But do you think they will support the weight of a lead sled ???
Oh yes.  No issues at all.  You're not that heavy.
OK ... Figured out what we are going to do here. Got the suspension lubed up at the Car Care Clinic the other day.

Yes, I got down in the bay with them to make sure they got everything done correctly ... Man, what a difference !!!

So for the most part, we will use the factory suspension setup. We are going to add power sterring and Air Ride from Air Ride Technologies !!! They make a complete kit for this (49-51 Shoebox style Fords) car !!! Kind of figured this would be MUCH better than to try and replace the front clip and or frame running gear ... Thoughts ???

W140, on 22 May 2013 - 07:29, said:

Why the hell would you tune it so low and how can you fit that large of an enclosure in the kick?

The enclosures that are installed in my truck are tuned at 24 htz ... Kinda figured this will work just as well in the old 49 ... Plus, I do not want a sub enclosure in the trunk area taking up space (just not needed to get the output I'm looking for), got too many plans for that truck area !!!
It isn't a good idea to use assumptions. In this case, I know I'd much rather have flat response is within 3dB to the mid 30's than to extend a few Hz lower on the bottom. In particular when the trade off is that the 3dB down point on the other enclosure happens around 10Hz higher.

This is compounded by the length of the labyrinth port you are going to end up on the small enclosure. Yuck.

Go ahead if you like, but don't expect "SQ" with that alignment choice.

It isn't a good idea to use assumptions. In this case, I know I'd much rather have flat response is within 3dB to the mid 30's than to extend a few Hz lower on the bottom. In particular when the trade off is that the 3dB down point on the other enclosure happens around 10Hz higher.

This is compounded by the length of the labyrinth port you are going to end up on the small enclosure. Yuck.

I'm not going to have final say what the enclousres will be tuned to cause I'm leaving that up to Linear Power.

Mid 30s ??? No thank you, I would run them sealed before I went any higher than 28 htz. but thanks for your opinion ... But whatever goes in there, I trust those guys not to dissapoint !!!

I'm not going to have final say what the enclousres will be tuned to cause I'm leaving that up to Linear Power.

Mid 30s ??? No thank you, I would run them sealed before I went any higher than 28 htz. but thanks for your opinion ... But whatever goes in there, I trust those guys not to dissapoint !!!

Randal, you need to learn to read. Nowhere did I say to tune to the mid-30's I was referring to the response of the driver in an enclosure. If you'd pull your head up out of the LP BS for a second and actually spend 20 seconds modeling something you could learn a shit ton. When you do, you will see how stupid a 24Hz tune on some 8's up front will be. If Ray even hints that it is a good idea then he knows donkey dick about audio.

LP BS

Sir, I do not bad mouth ANY product or anybody on this forum. And I do respect what you post. So can you please do me (and my car build) a favor, show me the same respect and not bad mouth any products or anybody on my build log ??? Thank you in advance ...

Like I said, I have no idea what the final numbers will be until everything is measured out, built, tested and tuned ... at this point in time, I have ALOT more things that need to be done before this is even an issue !!!

Edited by Cablguy184

LP BS

Sir, I do not bad mouth ANY product or anybody on this forum. And I do respect what you post. So can you please do me (and my car build) a favor, show me the same respect and not bad mouth any products or anybody on my build log ??? Thank you in advance ...

Like I said, I have no idea what the final numbers will be until everything is measured out, built, tested and tuned ... at this point in time, I have ALOT more things that need to be done before this is even an issue !!!

A spade is a spade. If you are fully absorbed into believing something not based solely on fact there is a level of BS. Of course you took it out of context, even in your quote sad.png. Please re-read, it wasn't a bad mouth at all about a product but a request that you attempt to think for yourself and understand something once instead of blindly following. It is a really good skill in life to have.

Front Suspension ... well, rear suspension too 

Mustang II parts can be had for cheap also.

I see a lot of people using these setups for older, light weight cars ... But do you think they will support the weight of a lead sled ???
Oh yes.  No issues at all.  You're not that heavy.
OK ... Figured out what we are going to do here. Got the suspension lubed up at the Car Care Clinic the other day.Yes, I got down in the bay with them to make sure they got everything done correctly ... Man, what a difference !!!So for the most part, we will use the factory suspension setup. We are going to add power sterring and Air Ride from Air Ride Technologies !!! They make a complete kit for this (49-51 Shoebox style Fords) car !!! Kind of figured this would be MUCH better than to try and replace the front clip and or frame running gear ... Thoughts ???

They make good stuff and know their shit, so I'd trust what they have to offer. You're not racing it, so no need to do anything else really.

Nah ... No plans for racing, showing off on the streets or anything, just weekend drives with the wife and cruize to a few shows / events every now and then ... Also might make it ALOT easier to get it on and off the trailer when we go on long travels ...

ok ... Small pic / info update !!!

Chevy (74 Chevy truck) alternator installed on the old Ford Flat head 6 !!! 80 amps charging should have no problems with 2 batteies in the trunk (to be set up at a later date). Considering the plans are to add air conditioner and power sterring to this 6, I'm hoping we will not need a larger alternator (gonna have an Astron power supply added to the electrical for shows and events) ... Wired up VERY basic until I can get the new wiring harness installed, but charging good !!!

image_url-43297-1371433670.jpg

New fuel lines installed !!! I know, should have been braided lines, but just need her running good until after October ... We have plans to pull the engine and trannny for updates over the winter !!!

image_url-43297-1371434088.jpg

So the only thing we NEED to do to the engine and tranny is fix a small water leak near the water pump (hope I can find the gaskets) and install the floor shifter ...

Got me a temporary Gas Tank !!! 5 gallons should do the trick for small rides and back and forth to the friend's shops ... Got plenty of plans for the trunk, but gonna keep it very simple until afer October ... Hopefully you will see quite a few upgrades to this trunk area before October, but nothing in stone ...

image_url-43297-1371434002.jpg

Look at all that room in the trunk area !!! almost ashame that there will not be a large sub driver enclosure in there ...

Edited by Cablguy184

Getting progress!

Thanks brother !!! Hoping to be down your way in this ride during Cruzin the Coast with the Ms. Street Rod Association ... Edited by Cablguy184

Air ride technologies is nice but way overpriced. For a cruiser I would contact Boris at Street Machinery. That's who will be doing my air ride kit. I won't be auto crossing so its all good

Air ride technologies is nice but way overpriced.

Yep ... Something similar was said in this thread about the Dakota Digital guages too ...

Boris at Street Machinery. That's who will be doing my air ride kit.

Where is this located ?? Link to info on their kits and prices ??

I plan to install this air ride kit myself ... Is this possible ?? I can not afford to put her on a trailer, pay hotel bills, take time off from work, Fuel, and pay someone to install something like this if I can do it myself ...

I do not have a monster hot rod shop like you do, but I have rebuilt a front suspension a time or 2, a couple of them being specific to these 49 - 51 Fords ...

http://www.streetmachinery.zoomshare.com/0.html

Just call them and ask for Boris. Tell him what you have and want a basic budget but quality kit, he will ship it straight to you. For my car a kit is around 1000 bucks. No need for that crazy stuff in a cruiser.

http://www.streetmachinery.zoomshare.com/0.html

Just call them and ask for Boris. Tell him what you have and want a basic budget but quality kit, he will ship it straight to you. For my car a kit is around 1000 bucks. No need for that crazy stuff in a cruiser.

Now this is in my ballpark !!! Thank you Sir !!!

I will be looking into this ASAP ...

Ok ... Time for a few updates !!!

Took out the headlight assemblies and gave them to Mike (Hyper) to see if he can come up with some type of upgrades for me ...

image_url-43297-1372023460.jpg

Yes, I know that the driver's side needs alot of work before the headlights can be permanently installed. We are going to french in the bessels (chrome trim pieces) so this should not be a problem for us when we get to doing body work on the front cap ...

Also ... gonna take that grille off soon and see what is salvageable (rechrome) or neds to be replaced. The marker lights will be filled in. State law on these cars do not require signal lights if they were not and origional option ...

image_url-43297-1372027903.jpg

Mike stopped by and delivered something to me on the way to Scrapin the Coast !!!

image_url-43297-1372023486.jpg

image_url-43297-1372023512.jpg

These look AMAZING !!! Can't wait to see them on the car !!! Thank you Mike, If you get a chance ... please quote this post and give us some details on these lights !!!

EDIT: Mike is on CA-F, so as soon as he post his update for this ... I will copy and paste it to hare !!!

Edited by Cablguy184

In the process of gutting out this car this weekend, I tried to snap a pic or 2 ... Here is one of the back seat / trunk area ...

image_url-43297-1372023055.jpg

At the moment ... there will be no back seat installed back into the car. The old one was completely destroyed ... Maybe one day I can find another one to get in there, but for now it's not an issue to worry about at this time ...

Also ... got the back driver / passenger windows assembly out so we can get the new windows cut and installed !!!

image_url-43297-1372028035.jpg

image_url-43297-1372028062.jpg

Nice view of the wife's 2013 Chevy Cruize too ...

The interior metal work is actually in much better shape than the picures show ... Some rusty places need to be cut out and be replaced with good metal. We will get to it as soon as we can ... I'm just trying to get everything gutted out and cleaned up so we can see what is going on with this ride !! So far, we are in good shape ...

Edited by Cablguy184

We got the floor boards cleaned up so we can get some deadner in there and see about making enclosures for the kick pannels while we work on everything else ... From the looks there should be PLENTY of room to fit one 8 in each kick pannel area in their own ported and tuned enclsures !!!

image_url-43297-1372023196.jpg

We are not installing any deadner at this time to the transmission / drive train area because we are going to install a floor shifter soon and will need to cut metal for that ...

Also ... We are leaving some room open for the foot pedals just incase something needs to be repaired, replaced, or updated for new linkages or electronics ...

Edited by Cablguy184

Cool beans man!  I don't remember if you mentioned it or not, but what are the wheel plans?  Might look really cool with the just the steelies painted or some baby moons.

In this pic ... You can see that I took the Brake lights out and took them apart.

image_url-43297-1372023055.jpg

They were Glass lenses. One of them was broke, So I gave the good one to Mike from Hyper to see if he can work some more magic and come up with something cool for my brake lights ...

Edited by Cablguy184

Cool beans man!  I don't remember if you mentioned it or not, but what are the wheel plans?  Might look really cool with the just the steelies painted or some baby moons.

Not sure yet brother ... but with all the work going on at the moment, I do not see any updates to the wheels and tires any time soon.

Not sure yet brother ... but with all the work going on at the moment, I do not see any updates to the wheels and tires any time soon.
Also in the pic on post #121, you can see that the wheel tubs are kind of narrow if I wanted to add bigger wheels and tires. So there might be some customizing there if we decide to go with bigger wheels and tires ...

I haven't priced custom built wheel tubs in a LONG time !!! We may can go with alot of backspacing ... but narrowing the origional rear end is completely out of the question ... I sure that the hot rod builders from Mississippi Street Rod's Association will be helping me out with this at a later date ... I really would like to see this car completely on the ground with some big ass wheels and tires on it !!! Lead Sled style !!!

I foresee a lot of sheetmetal tools for xmas

Quentin Jarrell, on 23 Jun 2013 - 19:59, said:

I foresee a lot of sheetmetal tools for xmas

I wish ... LOL

My dad's shop is not that far from your house / area ... what did we say ?? about 45 minutes to an hour ???

I will have is set up for a tow-bar soon (too hectic to go on and off back and forth on a trailer) so I can get it back and forth to different shops with the truck to get work done to it ... Once it gets completely stripped, there is not much more I can do to it here at the house ...

Maybe when you get time, you can meet up with me (hopefully before I can pull the system out of the truck) and give me some ideas with it ...