coot

ssa subs

ok i have been reading back through several posts on this forum and others, and i have some questions regarding ssa subs. from what i read most people consider the icon to comparable to the fi ssd and i have seen people comparing the xcon to the q mostly a few have said its like a bl..is this pretty acurate? i was truly considering a 18 xcon but if its more toward a sq sub thats not really the way i want to go. But if its more like the bl i am more likely to order it. Still torn between a few different subs but keep coming back to thew xcon for some reason. thanks 

Box and tuning will make more of a difference than the driver. Xcon gets nasty if you want it to.

I want nasty. I want equal or greater than bl nasty. probably going for a tuning around 33hz from all the systems i have heard i tend to like it around that area

Edited by coot

what kind of room do you have available?  

Edited by lithium

I want nasty. I want equal or greater than bl nasty. probably going for a tuning around 33hz from all the systems i have heard i tend to like it around that area

nasty is a bit subjective and not sure what you mean by you "tend to like it around that area"

have a 2008 gmc envoy and can use the entire cargo area. dont have the exact measurements with ,i wrote them down but cant find the flippin paper. Around that area is from the way i like the bass reproduction from others systems and almost everyone that i really liked had a tuning of 31-33hz the higher tuned boxes just didnt do it for me ya know. as far as power i am eyeing 2 different massive amps one at 1400@1ohm the other 1800@1ohm so thats the area i will be working with. Going to be daily not a comp set up. and by nasty i mean serious bass you can hear coming. i want my insides rattled. Had a previous ssd in a big ported box that was nice  but i want more

Just get the xcon :)

most likely will go with the xcon im between it and a dc level 4

Xcon or DC level 4 is a no brainer.

if you have room for the 18 then that sounds great.  you won't hear a difference in power between 1400 and 1800. buy whichever is cheaper, or buy used. that part of your budget could be used elsewhere. 

xcon all day over the bl for daily!! Its just the lows of the xcon make your ear's orgasm.

I've loved every XCON that I've run, and I just realized I've used the 10's, 12's, a 15, and an 18 if that tells you how much I like them.

Holy crap, I didn't realize. :)

The Xcon is an sq sub but gets very loud. I had 1 12 on only 1k rms and it was crazy loud. Sounds amazing too!! I said many times before on here; the one 12 was shocking people by the output of just one 12.

i looked up the optimal enclosure recommendations for the 18 and looks like i can fit it in there but would only have a few more inches to my hatch. So if i run the 18 will probably have to run both sub and port facing up. and to ssh..why is it a no brainer? since i am a zombie and have no brain can you elaborate?

I've been looking at some 12" gcons, but I read a review stating their tinsel leads weren't woven on so there was a problem with tinsel slap and such. Was this a previous model issue or...?

The leads on the gcon's never were woven in the spider and to prevent slap there is a felt pad placed on the cone to absorb the noise. I am not aware of any issues, but I only played with two gcons.

Take a look at this 15 gcon.

Picture157_zps5bebee28.jpg

The a little above multivariate techniques are each and all pretty linear as with well a true model is calculated using linear combinations

Spam!

I've been looking at some 12" gcons, but I read a review stating their tinsel leads weren't woven on so there was a problem with tinsel slap and such. Was this a previous model issue or...?

There is no lead slap issue if used properly.  If over driving the sub and it unloads, there is a chance for lead slap.  So essentially use it as you're supposed to, it's not an SPL competition sub.  Would love to see this review.

Drive almost any sub beyond it's limits and you will may cause a problem.

ok so i went out and took new measurements. looks like my space to work with is. 46in wide 21 1/2 tall by 25 1/2 deep.  So looks like i have plenty of room for the optimal recommended enclosure size..anyone known the optimal total port area for the 18 running off 1400 watts?

Edited by coot

That's enough room

ok so i went out and took new measurements. looks like my space to work with is. 46in wide 21 1/2 tall by 25 1/2 deep.  So looks like i have plenty of room for the optimal recommended enclosure size..anyone known the optimal total port area for the 18 running off 1400 watts?

there is no 18" GCON