Bryan G

Mid life crises, I guess

I was into high end audio all my life. Home system is a Nikko Alpha power amp, 480 watts if my memory is right. Nikko betta pre-amp. Can't remember the eq.. Ohm c3 speakers, never heard anything better. For play, a teachnics (can't spell that) cassette player with dbx, a teac 8 head reel to reel (had the large reels, can't remember the size) and a turn table I can't remember.

In the care, 78 z28, a Kenwood head unit, 2 linear amps, 8" subs mounted in the rear with some ohm component (6” and 2”) and nothing in front L

Moved that to several cars over the years then when I turned 40, 2002, I moved to Hawaii and left all this with a friend.

Now, I’m 51, back in the mainland, and I just couldn’t live without music. I still have most of the home system, but can’t use it, I’m in an apartment with wood floors, it would sound great, but I would be kicked out so quick so I build a new car system:

Kenwood head unit with a Clarion eq (just using it for the rear speakers), a 4 channel kenwood amp for front and the rear (crossed over at 30hz+), then a cheap Dual amp for the subs (crossed over at 30hz-). I have infinity components in the front, installed the tweeters in the sail panel (I think it's called that) and 6" in the door. Then in the back I have Kicker components, the 6x9's in the deck and the tweeters mounted above the deck. A pair of Dual 12"s in a non-ported sub box, that has a divider.
I skimped on the subs to save money, but it puts out down to 15hz crossed over at 30hz.

I'm into quality music, played on quality equipment and I hope this forum will be a great place for advice and tips.

After reading some of the other systems, mine seems like a toy, but it does 15hz to 20khz and fills the car nicely, it's all I could afford, with 2 kids and wife to support.

Edited by Bryan G

welcome to the forum

Welcome.

I dgaf what you run.

If your happy,....... nothing else matters.

Cheers.

WELCOME.gif to the forum!

I agree with Kylar96, as long as you're happy, we're happy!

I found a pair of Ohm speakers, 8" 2-ways, at a Goodwill near me and picked them up for $10 for the pair.  The foam surround had rotted off and I rebuilt/replaced them with a foam repair kit from Parts Express.  I will have to say those Ohm speakers are some of the most natural sounding I had ever had the pleasure of listening to.  I found out they were built in/around the late 70's and sold for around $500 new at that time.

A little constructive criticism here if you're interested.  In the interest of quality music reproduction, I would imagine the EQ would better serve the overall outcome on the front speakers with the rears disconnected.  With all those speakers playing at one time (without major EQ and time alignment work) it's screwing with the sound stage and imaging.  As good as I'm sure that is with your in house setup I would imagine you'd like to get similar response from the car.  While it's certainly doable it will definitely take a bit more time and money to achieve, the results of which however would probably make a person like yourself much much happier in the long run.

WELCOME.gif

Couldn't agree more on the rears. Just not needed. Not even in a big arse car like my Escalade.

Welcome

Welcome sir

Howdy

:WELCOME:

think im with ya  mid life deal

kids just left for collage time for a system at 45yo