mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

i think i need to update my warmup routine, it usually consists of windmills and thats about it LOL

At least that's what I had to resort to when I started getting back on the workout wagon after the accident. Forget weights, I had a hard enough time doing a proper calisthenics workout. Learning to walk before you can run and such

I can manage push-ups, chin-ups, sit-ups, squats so I like to think I'm ready :P

I'd say you're ready :lol2:

To be honest with you the best warm up for benching is benching. Let's say you can bench 300 lbs for 6 reps. Here is how I would start that work out.

3 warm up sets with extremely low weight and extremely tight slow deliberate movements.

100 for 6-10 reps

175 for 5-6 reps

250 for 2-3 reps

Work out of 3 sets

6 reps or failure at 300

6 reps or failure at 280

6 reps or failure at 260

I beleive that to the the perfect work template. You may not use the exact same % of weight but the format is a winner. It's a pretty common pyramid type of sets for one muscle group. When starting out you will have to get past a few hurdles like knowing how much you can lift for any given exercise, and finding your tempo. Also knowing what % of 6 rep max is for any given set. Then you will experience oddities like your biceps feeling sore after benching.

They are all really common issues when you start lifting. It's mostly your brain learning to deal with the new stress. What you have on your side is this good coaching so you don't waste your time with bull shit complex routines. They all have a place but that's only after you really figure out what you need.

After your brain figures out that benching doesn't need biceps and how to warm up without over working the muscles you will see your strength skyrocket. 10% gains a week for a few months could be realistic depending on

Your natural plateau curve.

So what to do when you are able to do last weeks weight For 8-10 reps? Bump the weight up 10-20% and work on getting to 6 reps at that weight.

Just remember to fuel your body with protein and sugar RIGHT after a work out. Dextrose is best but do whatever works for you.

The car is supposed to absorb the impact, not transfer it to the person. I hate it when people disagree with physics

There are a billion other approaches to this, but I haven't found a format that has such a high success rate for guys I helped and me personally.

If you get to a point where you want to start fine tuning everything we can really get scalpel precise but for now this diet and workout program is easy as Hell to follow and maximizes your time spent working out. Cardio is for other times. When your lifting lift, when your pedaling pedal. They may compliment each other and make for much faster and better progress but trying to combine them is a failure point unless you have a specific goal other than health and weight management in mind

The car is supposed to absorb the impact, not transfer it to the person. I hate it when people disagree with physics

IT's simply amazing how far we have advanced in so little time.

IT's simply amazing how far we have advanced in so little time.

You can thank the owner Volvo for the seat belt and airbags, his wife was horribly injured in a car accident which in turn motivated him to search for safer ways...

The real scary thing is to see how far we have advanced in just the past 15 years alone... As an auto body student, we had to study crash videos.

To be honest with you the best warm up for benching is benching. Let's say you can bench 300 lbs for 6 reps. Here is how I would start that work out.

3 warm up sets with extremely low weight and extremely tight slow deliberate movements.

100 for 6-10 reps

175 for 5-6 reps

250 for 2-3 reps

Work out of 3 sets

6 reps or failure at 300

6 reps or failure at 280

6 reps or failure at 260

I beleive that to the the perfect work template. You may not use the exact same % of weight but the format is a winner. It's a pretty common pyramid type of sets for one muscle group. When starting out you will have to get past a few hurdles like knowing how much you can lift for any given exercise, and finding your tempo. Also knowing what % of 6 rep max is for any given set. Then you will experience oddities like your biceps feeling sore after benching.

They are all really common issues when you start lifting. It's mostly your brain learning to deal with the new stress. What you have on your side is this good coaching so you don't waste your time with bull shit complex routines. They all have a place but that's only after you really figure out what you need.

After your brain figures out that benching doesn't need biceps and how to warm up without over working the muscles you will see your strength skyrocket. 10% gains a week for a few months could be realistic depending on

Theres a reason your biceps get sore, its because they are not used to being relaxed in that manner. Although gravity is bringing the weight down, your biceps are used to stablize the weight, then when lifting they must relax in order for your triceps to extend ( just like every muscle pair), thats why i always feel stronger when i warm up biceps before bench also (i need to get back to doing that)

push ups and pulls ups are a great warm up imo, but everybody has their own way and there is no right way of course

just listen to what people say, then take from them what works for you

I have a really strange routine, but it works great for me

i do the typical 5 day split, but i vary the muscle groups worked each day from time to time

for example for about 8 weeks or so i do

mon-chest

tues-back

wed-legs

thurs-shoulders

fri-arms

then ill switch

mon-chest + back

tues- arms

wed-legs

thurs-shoulders

fri-light chest and back(mainly body weight exercises)

strange part comes in when i mix up each day

some days i do a fast work out of many exercises 3 sets each

some days ill pick one exercise(say dumbell bench) then do 10-12 sets pyramiding up to my 3 rep max

some days ill pick a few exercises to do 5 sets pyramiding to about a 6 rep max, then back down to a light weight to get a deep burn

Edited by trod2902

i messed up and entered my last post before i finished lol

i edited it in though

There is no way to say this without comming off like a cock... So here we go.

Trod, the comment about biceps is absolutely nonsensical. Your biceps should no part in the pushing motion. If they are you're doing it wrong. Your shoulders are the only muscles that should be stabilizing.

Triceps and chest pushing, shoulder stabilizing. You could hypothetically say that your forearms also stabilize bit its more that they should be a small assist in the lift. If your biceps are involved in the motion you either have a really wide grip or your just doing it wrong.... And I think a wide grip for heavy bench is doing it wrong.

Benching should have your elbows tucked in not pointed out. Think of a lineman, they tuck elbows to push because its safer and WAY stronger.

Well I just bought some speakers for another home audio project. I don't know when I hope to have time to build it, but what the heck.

I have yet to finish my HT setup, but the damn PE buyouts have me busy designing more.

chest, shoulders and triceps are are the only sore muscles I get from benching; guess I'm doing it right. I've also heard of alternating hand grip between sets. Wide grip, narrow grip, wide grip, etc. Dunno if it does jack squat though

Benching should have your elbows tucked in not pointed out. Think of a lineman, they tuck elbows to push because its safer and WAY stronger.

I would have gone with appliance delivery guy but yours works too :D

You can alter your grip and it will change how things work, but it's really not of much benefit. If you have a special need that you must develop strength for changing your grip should is just something that can make a work out more "fun" but it's more dangerous especially if you use a heavy weight.

Looking at how champion power lifters train and this is how you should model your bench press. It maximizes the safety and strength of the lift. In competition they will sometimes go wider to reduce lock out distance....or use a shirt. That's a completely different story. Less injury and most gains possible is what should be tried for. Playing with other technique makes no sense unless you're trying to satisfy some specific need.

I would have gone with appliance delivery guy but yours works too :D

Another great example. Elbows in and shoulder blades pinched back.

Definitely something I would do...

:lol2:

OXFORD, England, June 7 (UPI) -- British scientists say they have for the first time developed a way to use brain scans to objectively measure the levels of pain felt by patients.

Using magnetic resonance imaging, researchers have found distinct differences between the brains of people who are experiencing pain and those who are not. That means doctors may have a way to measure suffering based on something other than asking patients how they are feeling, The Sunday Times of London reported.

"Pain seems to increase the blood flow to certain parts of the brain, roughly in proportion to the amount of pain felt, and we can measure that activation in a brain scan," Irene Tracey, professor of anaesthetic science at Oxford University, told the newspaper.

She and her colleagues reportedly have found the brain employs a "pain matrix" wherein physical suffering typically activates more than a dozen parts of the brain -- a distinct contrast with other senses such as vision or hearing that only stimulate just one part of the brain.

The Sunday Times said the findings indicate pain could one day be measured objectively, a development that would have big legal and social implications.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2009/06/07/Pain-levels-measured-in-brain-using-MRI/UPI-55801244395672/#ixzz1f75oas12

GM has officially built 100,000,000 Small Block V8 engines