mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

Try mixing kickboxing in with your cardio.

I try to jog with my dad now and then. I mainly just workout with weights.

Try mixing kickboxing in with your cardio.

true that does have a point to it.

I was in martial arts at various schools for 9 years, but eventually I really learned it's much more about basic skill sets and then conditioning for a fight. Theres no 1 finger death touch or anything like that.

Aerobic work outs are really tough on the heart in the long haul. Of course being a thin jogger is better than being 300 lbs over weight. For the human machine though we can take much more advantage of strength than endurance. Throwing, sprinting, pushing and pulling are all things I could use day to day that would help. Running for a bajillion miles does nothing productive for your body. Swimming is at least non impact.

Ha, I got all night to talk about it lol, so get started.

Well it irks me when people diet the wrong way. They count calories, starve themselves, cut out food groups, make themselves vomit, all to lose a few pounds? They are going about it the completely wrong way. Instead of starving yourself, lets eat more. More specifically lets eat more grains and meats, also lets work out to build muscle. Strength training will build muscle,muscle will consume adipose tissue much faster than slowly starving yourself. When you don't eat, your body goes into panic mode, it's natural instincts is to use as little energy as possible because it knows it's not eating, so when you finally do eat your body is still in panic mode, it will store everything you eat as adipose tissue and only consume enough to get by. Another thing, muscle tissue is easier for your body to consume, that means when you don't eat enough to keep your body going it will literally eat it's own muscle, the person will brag about how they lost a few pounds, those few pounds were muscle and they really needed it, it was burning the fat that they are really trying to loose.

I think I'm done with my rant/metabolism lesson :D

I have a few questions...

why is counting calories bad if you have a balanced diet?

To build muscle you need lots of protein and not everyone wants to strength train, so what are the options for those people?

Why should people increase meat in their diet? We, as a nation, already eat way too much meat and just about any high carb country has extremely better heart health than us overall. Did you mean lean meat while cutting out junk foods and high fat foods?

Why shouldn't men do aerobic exercise again? It's one of the best ways to ensure heart health which is a huge problem in men, strength training will not give you the future heart health that real aerobic exercise will, even though I will agree that the BMR of a strength trainer should be higher than that of an aerobic trainer.

Man sometimes I sound like an ornery ass here in the HOP.

I'm sorry guys... I'm actually a pretty fun loving kinda guy!

:wub:

Sorry not all those were aimed at Duran, and while i do agree with the message you all may be trying to get across, there's wayyyy too much misinformation in there.

don't feel bad beats, every time i reread my posts i feel like i'm being bitchy, which in real life i don't really give a fuck about much of anything

Get a good heavy bag 150 lbs+. Practice high and low kicks, high and low punches, knees (blocks and strikes), and side to side blocks. When mixed all together not only a good cardio work out, but also builds core strength.

I was taught in the form of displine very old world forms. The only new world displine I like is Jeet Kune Do.

Well it irks me when people diet the wrong way. They count calories, starve themselves, cut out food groups, make themselves vomit, all to lose a few pounds? They are going about it the completely wrong way. Instead of starving yourself, lets eat more. More specifically lets eat more grains and meats, also lets work out to build muscle. Strength training will build muscle,muscle will consume adipose tissue much faster than slowly starving yourself. When you don't eat, your body goes into panic mode, it's natural instincts is to use as little energy as possible because it knows it's not eating, so when you finally do eat your body is still in panic mode, it will store everything you eat as adipose tissue and only consume enough to get by. Another thing, muscle tissue is easier for your body to consume, that means when you don't eat enough to keep your body going it will literally eat it's own muscle, the person will brag about how they lost a few pounds, those few pounds were muscle and they really needed it, it was burning the fat that they are really trying to loose.

To build muscle you need lots of protein and not everyone wants to strength train, so what are the options for those people?

Why should people increase meat in their diet? We, as a nation, already eat way too much meat and just about any high carb country has extremely better heart health than us overall. Did you mean lean meat while cutting out junk foods and high fat foods?

Why shouldn't men do aerobic exercise again? It's one of the best ways to ensure heart health which is a huge problem in men, strength training will not give you the future heart health that real aerobic exercise will, even though I will agree that the BMR of a strength trainer should be higher than that of an aerobic trainer.

I can't speak for the calorie counting, but as for gaining muscle without strength training, that will be pretty diffocult. Muscle only grows via excercizing it.

I think your definition of meat and perception of too much is different from what duran is saying. I read lean meat. I also included poultry and fish into that category. I would also challenge that we eat too much meat in the US. I think most US people are deficient in protein, and meat is a great way to get it into your diet.

Anerobic exercise is just better for loosing fat, especialy in the abdominal area than aerobic. It's not bad to do aerobic exercise, but there isn't much point to it past the 30 min mark unless it's training for something specific. For general health it's much less important.

To be more clear I think that fatty fish is just about the best food for humans. High in protein and esential fats. These fats are truely what most americans have a deficiency of.

The human body needs to intake certain fats and certain amino acids. Both amino acids, and fats can convert to sugars in our body, sugars however cannot convert to amino acids/proteins or fats however.

Biologicaly our body thrives in an omnivorous type diet excluding most grains and starches. Mainly fat and proteins and a helping of fiber will result in a better working human machine.

:Doh: that post was obviously before :coffee:

I'm fumbling around the office hoping I don't see my boss.

I'm still in my boxers, but I know I won't see my boss.

I used to do car audio...:lol:

fixed, unless of course your plans for the AMG have improved :P

:Doh: that post was obviously before :coffee:

I'm fumbling around the office hoping I don't see my boss.

I'm still in my boxers, but I know I won't see my boss.

Are you hiring intelegent people who will work their asses off?

I need to get a new gig where I can do work in my boxers some mornings.

don't feel bad beats, every time i reread my posts i feel like i'm being bitchy, which in real life i don't really give a fuck about much of anything

you guys may be bitchy, but I am an asshole

To be more clear I think that fatty fish is just about the best food for humans. High in protein and esential fats. These fats are truely what most americans have a deficiency of.

The human body needs to intake certain fats and certain amino acids. Both amino acids, and fats can convert to sugars in our body, sugars however cannot convert to amino acids/proteins or fats however.

Biologicaly our body thrives in an omnivorous type diet excluding most grains and starches. Mainly fat and proteins and a helping of fiber will result in a better working human machine.

Partly why the Japanese live so long.

If people here just ate more fish it would go a really long way.

And other than the occasional fish and chips, when I say fish there is NO batter.

Damn right Sean.

The lowest heart risk peoples in the world are eskimo and I beleive... argeintinians. WHen it comes to men that is.

The eskimo culture eat verry little other than ocean food, and a large part of that is pure blubber.

I think it was argintineans... Now I question it. Either way the second culture ate at least 1 fish plate per day.

Long time since I read the med article on it. The healthy fats we needs so badly effect the mind and heart more than anything else. In the US studies have been done about babies who were given low fat formula that was popular and sold durring that time frame i.e. when I was a baby. I was unable to get enough food from my mom, so I had low fat formula. It was really commen at the time

General studies are showing that adults who were born around the time of that being the popular fad have more than 2 times the likelyhood of having autoimune disorders. Most of which are skin related. They are also 5 times more likely to have ADD/ADHD/ODD or any of the disorders in that family. The current teen population percentage wise is on a decline for those specific issues.

I used to do car audio...:lol:

fixed, unless of course your plans for the AMG have improved :P

nope, still only planning on adding a new deck/head unit/receiver/radio/whatever the hell they call them nowadays

FUCK TREES I CLIMB BUOYS MOTHERFUCKER

I'M ON A DOLHPIN. DOING FLIPS AND SHIT, BUT THIS AINT SEAWORLD, THIS AS REAL AS IT GET!

I can't speak for the calorie counting, but as for gaining muscle without strength training, that will be pretty diffocult. Muscle only grows via excercizing it.

I think your definition of meat and perception of too much is different from what duran is saying. I read lean meat. I also included poultry and fish into that category. I would also challenge that we eat too much meat in the US. I think most US people are deficient in protein, and meat is a great way to get it into your diet.

Anerobic exercise is just better for loosing fat, especialy in the abdominal area than aerobic. It's not bad to do aerobic exercise, but there isn't much point to it past the 30 min mark unless it's training for something specific. For general health it's much less important.

What i meant was aerobic exercise is better for health, not for losing weight or gaining muscle (actually it's catabolic and does break down muscle). If you want to lose weight you definitely have to build muscle to burn that fat up and increase your resting metabolism rate. The aerobic exercise is for your heart health first and most. The benefits of aerobic exercise are simply too numerous to list but the simple ones are lower bp, and less fats sticking to your arteries. I forget the amount but it's a staggering % of trans fats that aren't absorbed if you have done aerobic exercise within Xhrs of eating the foods.

I agree totally on the fish, I just wanted to clarify that not all meats are equal, and if you want to increase your meat intake you better be increasing your other food groups, veggies and dairy are extremely important. Don't knock milk fat either, plenty of studies are coming out now that show that full fat milk actually helps you lose weight, not gain it.

I still stick by, the #1 thing to do is eat a balanced diet that avoids shitty foods. get outside and off the damn computer or away from the TV and pretty much everything else will follow.

I do/did almost exclusively aerobic/cardio, mostly because I do enough weight lifting doing real world stuff...arguably doing even more lifting since I've been in this cast...

yep, i completely agree on getting your proper fats (like the dairy, fish works too) but NONE of these fats come from a fryer!