mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

... and Fuck Exxon

:(

3.9, two B's in 4 years, Those two B's were in theory based math classes. Was VP and President of a volunteer organization that won highest awards in the organization, lead tech for transmission in my senior design project (rotating machinery anyone?) Member of the engineering honor society, recipient of an award only two people in the Mech engineering program recieved (the other guy did get an offer from Exxon), recipient of an award only 2 people in the Houston area received, etc...

wtf else do you need???

A master's degree. Seriously. I ran into that problem when thinking about oil companies with my geology degree. Wouldn't even look at you really without one.

Hard to have a master's in an entry level position. Any one I was competing with didn't have a master's. Hell, they didn't have a double major either. The double major really has done nothing for me as no potential employer has even mentioned it.

Hate to be the one to say this, but college does not make you ready for a job. Not even close. However, that is exactly why there are entry level positions. I've learned 10x what I did in college since I left 10 years ago and I went to a school that is usually ranked in the top 3 in the country. In fact the only thing I think college is truly useful for is teaching you how to learn which is invaluable in the real world.

In this case you got screwed somehow. I bet the deck was stacked against you ahead of time whether it be an insiders child applied or what. Not worth getting upset at yourself or them for, it happens. instead just buckle up and shoot for other options.

Bummer it happened that way though.

... and Fuck Exxon

:(

3.9, two B's in 4 years, Those two B's were in theory based math classes. Was VP and President of a volunteer organization that won highest awards in the organization, lead tech for transmission in my senior design project (rotating machinery anyone?) Member of the engineering honor society, recipient of an award only two people in the Mech engineering program recieved (the other guy did get an offer from Exxon), recipient of an award only 2 people in the Houston area received, etc...

wtf else do you need???

A master's degree. Seriously. I ran into that problem when thinking about oil companies with my geology degree. Wouldn't even look at you really without one.

Work experience is a valid alternative to a Masters, perhaps prefereed depending but I realize that its a bit of a catch 22.

Guess I forgot to mention my work experience. Worked for over a year for a company where I worked in the Exxon refinery. and Worked an internship for a summer at Praxair and kept a part time job there until the following summer when I had to take classes.

That would have been who I used as a reference. Applying for a job is a bit like poker, you have to stack the deck every way possible.

Lol yeah. I want to find some interesting places to work for, just don't know where to find them

I really wish I would have pushed hard to get an internship at Polaris in Minnesota. I think I could have stood to spend a spring/ summer there

If you knew which department there I might know a few people.

I have some big ol' shrimp shipped from my family in Louisiana thawing out in my refrigerator. What is a good yet simple way to make them? Not sure if I want to put them in anything or just eat them alone. I think they are kinda too big to put in anything, though of course I could chop them up.

When I make shrimp, I either put them on the grill or in a pan on the stove and throw some butter, garlic seasoning and some pepper for seasoning and let them do some sauteeing in there (just depends if its a quick meal or a big dinner). I guess it also depends on your taste or preference too.

Didn't read this, but want to clarify that fresh garlic is really the key in what I recommended. Garlic powder is an alternative but you have to use way less as it tastes synthetic. I only use powder in rubs actually.

Appreciate ya for the input, I love to learn how to become a better cook. I dont buy fresh garlic, but maybe i will start and yeah I only use a little bit of garlic salt when I do use it because you dont need to much. I forgot about broiling them also. fing05.gif

If you knew which department there I might know a few people.

Preferably the "building kick-ass ATV's on a diet with a more compact powertrains" department please

Don't let Sean (///M5) suck you in jay-cee, next thing you know you'll be egg hunting

Don't let Sean (///M5) suck you in jay-cee, next thing you know you'll be egg hunting

Haha, Ive always said I need to start cooking from scrap and using fresh materials but just havent worked my way up to that level yet (some things I got a hand on but not all).

I'm just kidding though everything here is done for the greater good of SSA

Where is best to get plane tickets?

Depends on from what airline, but using sidestep/kayak is the easiest to narrow things down. Note as all, they don't do SWest, JetBlue etc...

Looks like it will be 200-250 round trip to Maryland. Doesn't seem to bad to me

yep, I said Maryland, Aaron. :) Will you be around in May of 2010?

Should be. :)

I should be there for 5 days or so. I'll make sure I leave some time open for an SSA meet lol

Leaving doors open + Cool weather + football+ cooking sausage = House smelling deer lease esque = :wub:

I have some big ol' shrimp shipped from my family in Louisiana thawing out in my refrigerator. What is a good yet simple way to make them? Not sure if I want to put them in anything or just eat them alone. I think they are kinda too big to put in anything, though of course I could chop them up.

When I make shrimp, I either put them on the grill or in a pan on the stove and throw some butter, garlic seasoning and some pepper for seasoning and let them do some sauteeing in there (just depends if its a quick meal or a big dinner). I guess it also depends on your taste or preference too.

Didn't read this, but want to clarify that fresh garlic is really the key in what I recommended. Garlic powder is an alternative but you have to use way less as it tastes synthetic. I only use powder in rubs actually.

Appreciate ya for the input, I love to learn how to become a better cook. I dont buy fresh garlic, but maybe i will start and yeah I only use a little bit of garlic salt when I do use it because you dont need to much. I forgot about broiling them also. fing05.gif

NEVER use garlic salt. Garlic powder and kosher salt separately that way you can control seasoning and flavor independently. ;)

Haha, Ive always said I need to start cooking from scrap and using fresh materials but just havent worked my way up to that level yet (some things I got a hand on but not all).

Making Gyro pizzas for dinner.

ie just chopped some garlic for the tzatziki, dough is leftover from last Monday been "rising" in the fridge for a week so the flavors ought to be developed real well, and the sauce I made a couple months ago and has been in the freezer. Too lazy to make the mozzarella, but I've thought about it. I also didn't make my gyro meat although I have been known too. I love non-processed food.

Hopefully someone I know will shoot a deer, I'd like some ground venison.

I usually dont use Salt when I cook unless it is Lawry's Seasoning Salt or Garlic Satl, depending on what Im cooking. But I do see what you mean though by using one product which claims to have two different ingredients can make you lose control on how much each portion was use.

Thanks for the advice.

Making Gyro pizzas for dinner.

ie just chopped some garlic for the tzatziki, dough is leftover from last Monday been "rising" in the fridge for a week so the flavors ought to be developed real well, and the sauce I made a couple months ago and has been in the freezer. Too lazy to make the mozzarella, but I've thought about it. I also didn't make my gyro meat although I have been known too. I love non-processed food.

x2 on loving non-processed food.