mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

I usually dont use Salt when I cook unless it is Lawry's Seasoning Salt or Garlic Satl, depending on what Im cooking. But I do see what you mean though by using one product which claims to have two different ingredients can make you lose control on how much each portion was use.

Thanks for the advice.

And both those products are 80%+ salt. On top of that it is fine ground salt which is bad for seasoning meat. Coarse is better since you have more surface area per unit weight. Diamond Crystal Kosher salt takes 2 tsp to equal 1 tsp of salt weight of table salt. Having that control REALLY helps improve your cooking. Best thing you can do to improve it actually is master the use of salt. ;)

Always open to discussing food :) Love it, but if you think that I am opinionated in the car stereo world you ahven't seen anything yet. Food takes the cake, but is much more important in my life. Conveniently I can focus my advice on my learning experience.

I have Kosher salt and just push that to the back of my seasoning cabinet but tomorrow when I make some baked chicken I will try this process of Kosher salt, garlic powder instead of how I usually do it. Just curious what would you use when you bake chicken?

Honestly when I first got on here I was this guy comes off as Mr. Cocky but instead you will talk up what you know from experiences or actually sat down to learn and help expand other peoples knowledge. Some people just dont understand but I get that is not being cocky (like you know it all) but passionate (because you know what you talk about and care about what your talking about). Cooking and car audio are my favorite passions also, Im not the best at either one but always willing to learn how to become better. :drink40:

Yeah you are opinionated but who isnt, at least your opinions dont come from out of your ass without correct info to justify why. Your cool in my book man :woot: .

I have Kosher salt and just push that to the back of my seasoning cabinet but tomorrow when I make some baked chicken I will try this process of Kosher salt, garlic powder instead of how I usually do it. Just curious what would you use when you bake chicken?

I don't use the oven so much, but grill/bake you can season the same.

If you are doing low heat (ie <400) you need some browning agent to crisp up the skin. Butter/bacon fat combo are my personal favorites. Kosher of course. Outside of that it depends on what I am serving it with, but I paprika regularly comes to the party. It also helps in the browning. You can also do a flash browning, ie get your oven up to 450 and put in the chicken and turn the temp down to 350-375 and go from there.

Honestly when I first got on here I was this guy comes off as Mr. Cocky but instead you will talk up what you know from experiences or actually sat down to learn and help expand other peoples knowledge. Some people just dont understand but I get that is not being cocky (like you know it all) but passionate (because you know what you talk about and care about what your talking about). Cooking and car audio are my favorite passions also, Im not the best at either one but always willing to learn how to become better. :drink40:

Yeah you are opinionated but who isnt, at least your opinions dont come from out of your ass without correct info to justify why. Your cool in my book man :woot: .

I am cocky, but more than willing to learn. Attitude comes out of a lack of patience more than anything. I truly want to help, but also try not to open my mouth where I don't have some confidence in what I am saying. Public opinions based on egurgitation drive me nuts.

Glad you came around, lol. Funny to say that. Your good to have here as well.

... and Fuck Exxon

:(

3.9, two B's in 4 years, Those two B's were in theory based math classes. Was VP and President of a volunteer organization that won highest awards in the organization, lead tech for transmission in my senior design project (rotating machinery anyone?) Member of the engineering honor society, recipient of an award only two people in the Mech engineering program recieved (the other guy did get an offer from Exxon), recipient of an award only 2 people in the Houston area received, etc...

wtf else do you need???

A master's degree. Seriously. I ran into that problem when thinking about oil companies with my geology degree. Wouldn't even look at you really without one.

Hard to have a master's in an entry level position. Any one I was competing with didn't have a master's. Hell, they didn't have a double major either. The double major really has done nothing for me as no potential employer has even mentioned it.

Hate to be the one to say this, but college does not make you ready for a job. Not even close. However, that is exactly why there are entry level positions. I've learned 10x what I did in college since I left 10 years ago and I went to a school that is usually ranked in the top 3 in the country. In fact the only thing I think college is truly useful for is teaching you how to learn which is invaluable in the real world.

In this case you got screwed somehow. I bet the deck was stacked against you ahead of time whether it be an insiders child applied or what. Not worth getting upset at yourself or them for, it happens. instead just buckle up and shoot for other options.

Bummer it happened that way though.

I know I slacked in college because there wasn't actual implementation going on. It's like ok solve this problem on paper. But I'm a visual and physical application learner, I have to see the final product and have hands on to learn effectively. Though obviously those ATVs and stuff you're building is exactly that, but in a lot of other things it's just conceptual during school. I mean college does have many good points, I doubt you'd disagree with me on that. I know I learned a million things that I didn't know before, at least some of which made starting my job a lot easier. Yes you will do a ton of on-the-job training to fall into that specific work, but I think having an idea going in is invaluable. I mean in my job I wouldn't be successful if I just had an english degree or something (which writing reports is half of my job). Neither would just be having a high school diploma.

I think you also have to realize that you're young. I mean yes obviously shoot for the stars, but realize that you will likely have to work up, and your work life is longer than you think at this point. You have lots of time to move up. Plus in quite a few jobs that would require a degree, there are opportunities to branch out within that position and take on work that's not part of your original hiring position. Those extra projects can be a lead and experience for a subsequent job.

But yeah the work environment is quite different from school. Sean is more in sales IIRC so I'm sure his job is about 180* from mine and I imagine we have quite different work experiences in general.

You're!

Grammar ninja strikes again.

Definitely, but I am a Physicist and work with PhD researchers most days so my version of sales isn't quite like what most people picture. I also actually just manage sales people, I no longer am in the front line although most of the business that our company closes has me involved in the process somehow. Regularly with customer interface as I refuse to lose big deals that can change a year and pretty much all of our deals are big. (>$250k single purchase)

My sales people, and myself to some degree, have to do Fourier math, curve fitting, logical thinking, trouble shooting and other things on a daily basis. Our sales process by default is extremely consultative. On top of selling product we also do consulting which we also get to sell. Again why I extrapolate is to reinforce what I said before, but perhaps clarify. You will use the tools you developed in school but in a different way. To me that is being able to learn and apply it. Not unlike Nick I am MUCH better at applied topics than theoretical, but that is beyond the conversation.

Don't let it get you down. The path up is fast if you continue to pursue it. Take a step out of any decent sales guide and they will say to set goals. Once set, find what steps are necessary to get there. As long as you do the steps you'll get the goal. At this point in your life, the position is more important than the salary. Usually it requires that you change jobs once to get the salary. Stupid but true.

You're!

Grammar ninja strikes again.

Now you know I am truly a Physicist and not an English major. :Doh: I think I fuck that one up a lot. Helps to be humbled to stop it though :P

Boy my basketball team is not good. They got blown out like 80-40 last week when I wasn't there, and we lost like 65-40 this week when I was. Just too many turnovers from bad passes with people either just not being strong with the ball or freaking out when they pick up the dribble and think it's a hot potato or something. That frustrates me a ton.

Concentration is something also learned in college. It should apply not only to studies but life which includes sports.

Also something you have to "learn" how to do. Exactly why Aidan will be taking classical guitar and piano lessons by the time he is 6. Using your digits in a somewhat unrelated fashion really helps the concentration growth IMO.

Also something I look for in potential employees. If you are the same as someone else and they play an instrument, you lose.

I'm fairly sure I'd be terrible at anything dealing with sales at all.

Also something I look for in potential employees. If you are the same as someone else and they play an instrument, you lose.

Haha! Dammit I don't play a single thing. What should I learn........ Chicks seem to dig guitars, but to me that's overplayed. Maybe if I can get a bitchin' oboe I'd be golden. My boss's teenage son plays the accordion. I didn't know anybody learned that anymore.

dammit I need to get off here and go shower and broil my shrimp. I can't be up late.

Definitely, but I am a Physicist and work with PhD researchers most days so my version of sales isn't quite like what most people picture. I also actually just manage sales people, I no longer am in the front line although most of the business that our company closes has me involved in the process somehow. Regularly with customer interface as I refuse to lose big deals that can change a year and pretty much all of our deals are big. (>$250k single purchase)

My sales people, and myself to some degree, have to do Fourier math, curve fitting, logical thinking, trouble shooting and other things on a daily basis. Our sales process by default is extremely consultative. On top of selling product we also do consulting which we also get to sell. Again why I extrapolate is to reinforce what I said before, but perhaps clarify. You will use the tools you developed in school but in a different way. To me that is being able to learn and apply it. Not unlike Nick I am MUCH better at applied topics than theoretical, but that is beyond the conversation.

Don't let it get you down. The path up is fast if you continue to pursue it. Take a step out of any decent sales guide and they will say to set goals. Once set, find what steps are necessary to get there. As long as you do the steps you'll get the goal. At this point in your life, the position is more important than the salary. Usually it requires that you change jobs once to get the salary. Stupid but true.

Goals.

A happy life is a long string of goals and your atempts to acheive them.

x6748976489749

Aside from no formal education, one of the only things I wish I would have done is learn piano or guitar.

I was best in state for Sax up untill middle school, then I dropped the instrument.

Nice end in the F1 race at interlagos. I'm starting to like watching F1 again. Missed a lot during Schumacher's last years, everybody was talking only about him...

Next year is going to be anybody's race at any time.

I have some big ol' shrimp shipped from my family in Louisiana thawing out in my refrigerator. What is a good yet simple way to make them? Not sure if I want to put them in anything or just eat them alone. I think they are kinda too big to put in anything, though of course I could chop them up.

When I make shrimp, I either put them on the grill or in a pan on the stove and throw some butter, garlic seasoning and some pepper for seasoning and let them do some sauteeing in there (just depends if its a quick meal or a big dinner). I guess it also depends on your taste or preference too.

Didn't read this, but want to clarify that fresh garlic is really the key in what I recommended. Garlic powder is an alternative but you have to use way less as it tastes synthetic. I only use powder in rubs actually.

Appreciate ya for the input, I love to learn how to become a better cook. I dont buy fresh garlic, but maybe i will start and yeah I only use a little bit of garlic salt when I do use it because you dont need to much. I forgot about broiling them also. fing05.gif

NEVER use garlic salt. Garlic powder and kosher salt separately that way you can control seasoning and flavor independently. ;)

I swear the best gimmick of the world is selling people lots of salt and water

Haha! Dammit I don't play a single thing. What should I learn........ Chicks seem to dig guitars, but to me that's overplayed. Maybe if I can get a bitchin' oboe I'd be golden. My boss's teenage son plays the accordion. I didn't know anybody learned that anymore.

The classical guitar is the hardest instrument to learn. I would add a by far, but I am sure I will antagonize someone and get them to argue with my statement. Don't pick up a guitar and play folk or rock, won't help your concentration nearly as much as something that makes you do multiple things at once. If I had to pick up a new instrument it would be the cello, but unfair as I can already read alto clef and play the bass, guitar, piano so it is partly because it would be easy. I tried a horn a few years ago and gave up quick. My mouth doesn't like to blow.