bassahaulic

Improving SPL

As the topic says I am looking for any and all tips to improve my SPL. After some REAL quick testing that I'm not to sure was accurate.

I was told I was doing a 143.5 Legal @ 32Hz. I believe the 32Hz part, but I'm not to sure about the numbers.

So any tips, tricks, or ideas you have. Throw them my way.

oh and BTW I know I need more power. I'm working on that detail:

Burp higher, more port, more airspace, more woofer, more power. Is everything braced well? 45 the corners?

32 hz is quite low for SPL competition. What is your box tuned to? It should peak higher than that.

I have heard that if you resin the inside of the box it will help some, due to the smooth interior. I have heard both positive and negative on this so ... :shrug:

Im no SPL competitor but you may want to find your vehicles peak frequency and tune somewhere around that.

I have heard that if you resin the inside of the box it will help some, due to the smooth interior. I have heard both positive and negative on this so ... :shrug:

Im no SPL competitor but you may want to find your vehicles peak frequency and tune somewhere around that.

Box is already resined on the inside smooth as is.....

32 hz is quite low for SPL competition. What is your box tuned to? It should peak higher than that.

All the math says it's tuned to 32Hz. I'm not sure what the issue is. More testing today though.

legal... as in sealed cabin. mic on the dash? 12"over 3" up? termlab?

also is this with both 18's, both 1000d's and at what ohm.. have you tested power output at the peak frequency... could be having some issues with impedence rise.

I'm suprised that it metered that low... slight box mods aren't going to lead to the 10db that you're missing... you should be doing 50+ with that equipment.

My 2-15's are on 1700watts to do the 150.5 @ 31hz I can run a single 1500watt amp and still do 150.1db you've gotta have an issue somewhere... you should be able to crush my measly score..

is it a t-line or a ported box, wall, etc... ??? if it's a wall you ported you made the wrong box for spl they use t line which is a type of ported box they look similar but are not. here's how to make a T- line/ transmission line enclosure . measure the center of the shroud to the center of shroud across the cone. take that number divide in half this become the letter "R" in the formula pie time radius or "R" squared. now multiply the answer of that formula time the amount of woofers to get the surface area needed for the port area the port has to be 6 -8 feet long if you can not get it 6-8 foot long there is another formula at this link this will help get a estimate on length needed. http://www.caraudiomag.com/technical/0203cae_audio_speakers_basics/index.html

this is so you do not shoot over the 80 hertz limit of the competition rules they can be 4.9 foot and etc... but going over 80 hertz is disqualification the t line will play 20-30 hertz region no problem i think i was doing about 142.5 in a t line with one ten inch jbl power p1022. of course it was not on a audio control or a termlab unit. plus that formula at link will help with frequency length and tuning freq of car etc... sorry i do not compete any more just not enough time for it and not enough money for it lol's. but have fun building boxes etc...

is it a t-line or a ported box, wall, etc... ??? if it's a wall you ported you made the wrong box for spl they use t line which is a type of ported box they look similar but are not. here's how to make a T- line/ transmission line enclosure . measure the center of the shroud to the center of shroud across the cone. take that number divide in half this become the letter "R" in the formula pie time radius or "R" squared. now multiply the answer of that formula time the amount of woofers to get the surface area needed for the port area the port has to be 6 -8 feet long if you can not get it 6-8 foot long there is another formula at this link this will help get a estimate on length needed. http://www.caraudiomag.com/technical/0203cae_audio_speakers_basics/index.html

this is so you do not shoot over the 80 hertz limit of the competition rules they can be 4.9 foot and etc... but going over 80 hertz is disqualification the t line will play 20-30 hertz region no problem i think i was doing about 142.5 in a t line with one ten inch jbl power p1022. of course it was not on a audio control or a termlab unit. plus that formula at link will help with frequency length and tuning freq of car etc... sorry i do not compete any more just not enough time for it and not enough money for it lol's. but have fun building boxes etc...

The box is built just how i wanted it, for low bass, ground pounding. it was never intended for pure SPL.

also is this with both 18's, both 1000d's and at what ohm.. have you tested power output at the peak frequency... could be having some issues with impedence rise.

I'm suprised that it metered that low... slight box mods aren't going to lead to the 10db that you're missing... you should be doing 50+ with that equipment.

My 2-15's are on 1700watts to do the 150.5 @ 31hz I can run a single 1500watt amp and still do 150.1db you've gotta have an issue somewhere... you should be able to crush my measly score..

it is with both 18's with the amps strapped at 2ohm, so each is at 1ohm. i have not clamped them. I know it is less then 1000 a woofer right now. but still.

i have now gotten two different peaks and two different scores. idk what's going on. And also there is a huge gain with just a door open, i gain 4-5 db by opening the door. i think it may just be my huge lack of power.

i'm going to seal up around the wall. ALOT of pressure goes behind the wall and out the side windows. if still really low then i'll drop 3-4k a woofer and if still low then take it all out and try 4 15's lol

Oh, and after more testing the other day. I got a 141.7 at 38hz.

Power is needed

doors open in single or extended cab trucks almost always renders a higher spl. My truck is set up to be burped with the door open--MECA. I actually don't know what it does on the dash sealed--

I'll have to test when I get back from out west.

I thought your style of comp allowed the windows to be down?

***when you're testing to find your freq, make sure your testing full tilt on little burps. at low volume my truck has two or three different peaks, with it turned up in peaks much higher in on spot than the others (impedence rise---I get more power at a certain freq---I've tested it :) )

doors open in single or extended cab trucks almost always renders a higher spl. My truck is set up to be burped with the door open--MECA. I actually don't know what it does on the dash sealed--

I'll have to test when I get back from out west.

I thought your style of comp allowed the windows to be down?

***when you're testing to find your freq, make sure your testing full tilt on little burps. at low volume my truck has two or three different peaks, with it turned up in peaks much higher in on spot than the others (impedence rise---I get more power at a certain freq---I've tested it :) )

Nope, as of now I am running MOD 0-1000. Which is sealed on the dash. When I run Street Beat I can do what I want.

I did do full power tests. And still got two different peaks on two different days.

Power is needed

Blame your box, your score should be much higher for what you have. I'd surely rebuild before spending another dollar.

Power is needed

Blame your box, your score should be much higher for what you have. I'd surely rebuild before spending another dollar.

x2

You need to redesign that thing.. apparently it doesn't do the trick..

wood's cheaper than anything else you'll change..

Power is needed

x2

I will rebuild soon. But more power is needed anyway. I've already got everything in motion for my 2000's. So once I get them, I'll test and if it's still weak as hell then I will rebuild.

Alan says nothing can really be said untill I get more power on them and we get to do some good long testing with it. I'm not just ganna give up on it. There is alot I need to do before I consider it a lost cause.

Im gonna blame it on the box like the others are. I was doing a 145+ with 600wrms to each of my 15s. With a wall in your truck i think you should be seeing high 140s with that kinda power.

Power is needed

x2

I will rebuild soon. But more power is needed anyway. I've already got everything in motion for my 2000's. So once I get them, I'll test and if it's still weak as hell then I will rebuild.

Alan says nothing can really be said untill I get more power on them and we get to do some good long testing with it. I'm not just ganna give up on it. There is alot I need to do before I consider it a lost cause.

Go ahead and follow bad advice. Your problem is your enclosure.

Power is needed

x2

Go ahead and follow bad advice. Your problem is your enclosure.

Agreed.

Been getting such numbers with a lesser 18 and 750w.

More power will get you a higher score but it's no replacement for a good enclosure.

I AM going to rebuild the wall.

But seeing as how I can get the power I want for cheap now. I will

I am also going to try a different port and sub configuration. And build the box a little larger, probably 8^3 per woofer. Also, the box I have now was FREE, so I was going to give it a shot. It is playing music great, so it will work for now.

So you are going to save money on an enclosure to "waste" it on power. That seems logical.

The box should always be first. One of my favorite quotes fits really well here. Install is 90%, equipment is 5%, beer is 5%.

1st of all.. this enclosure was built to go behind the back seat of a trail blazer. we gave it to drew to help him out . its no way designed to show true potiental of a " wall" design.. the woofers are side by side..with a low tuned port on top of them. regardless what anyone says.. THIS set up with MT will need more power to come to life.. saying this car or that set up with less power did that score means nothing .. im very sure better numbers could be had with a different style set up and the same power.. but with power a wall will smash it .. and honestly guys.. Drew doesnt exactly know what hes doing when he tests.. sorry drew.. lol. so who knows where this thing realy peaks and what its doing . IF is honestly is peaking at 33hz like hes saying then im going to say this box has an impedance issue.. it was a test for the MT in the 1st place to see how it liked this large of a box.. maybe they arent enjoying playing in 7cubes? i have yet to read one responce with a recamended box for the MTs to get these numbers you all claim he should have.. instead just telling him what he has wrong .. this box pounds music and thats its intent.. very very seldom do you get both with out what? what is that?? POWER......

1st of all.. this enclosure was built to go behind the back seat of a trail blazer. we gave it to drew to help him out . its no way designed to show true potiental of a " wall" design.. the woofers are side by side..with a low tuned port on top of them. regardless what anyone says.. THIS set up with MT will need more power to come to life.. saying this car or that set up with less power did that score means nothing .. im very sure better numbers could be had with a different style set up and the same power.. but with power a wall will smash it .. and honestly guys.. Drew doesnt exactly know what hes doing when he tests.. sorry drew.. lol. so who knows where this thing realy peaks and what its doing . IF is honestly is peaking at 33hz like hes saying then im going to say this box has an impedance issue.. it was a test for the MT in the 1st place to see how it liked this large of a box.. maybe they arent enjoying playing in 7cubes? i have yet to read one responce with a recamended box for the MTs to get these numbers you all claim he should have.. instead just telling him what he has wrong .. this box pounds music and thats its intent.. very very seldom do you get both with out what? what is that?? POWER......

numbers are low for that truck--either way...

I'm comparing apples to apples... we have the exact same truck, i have 2-15's and 1760 clamped watts, he has 2-18's and ?? watts, you should test the power output on the amps to see what he's getting/what impedence rise your dealing with, something is wrong somewhere... with 2x the power you will see a gain if the electrical can handle it..*my box is tuned to 24hz so don't go there either :)

**I mean that in good humor

Power schmower, if the setup isn't efficient to begin with it's not going to get loud off of only double the power. Your going to need several thousand watts to just keep up with single sub setups off of 2K watts. You need to listen to all the people here that are telling you a new box is the best solution and is the first thing that you need to do. While power is important sometimes it doesn't do what you want it to and in this case I know that you'll still be disapointed with a setup in a wall that probably won't even break a 146 off of this more power that your going to add.

With the 2 Sundown 1000's that you have and a wall a reasonable number that you should be doing is at least a 150. I know that the 1000's will produce a solid 800+ watts after impedence rise, unless you have an ungodly amount of rise then could be a bit less. The point is that this particular box is not efficient at all. If it's not getting loud of the power you have, it will take too much to make sense to do it.

I can do over a 150 in my car in a no wall setup off of as little as 2400 watts, and I'm not trying to compare myself to you but in a way if I'm capable of doing that you should be capable of so much more in a walled setup. Just listen to the countless cries of people telling you to build a new box first. You'll save yourself a ton of trouble and will be much happier with it when you add more power down the road.

/rant

Power schmower, if the setup isn't efficient to begin with it's not going to get loud off of only double the power. Your going to need several thousand watts to just keep up with single sub setups off of 2K watts. You need to listen to all the people here that are telling you a new box is the best solution and is the first thing that you need to do. While power is important sometimes it doesn't do what you want it to and in this case I know that you'll still be disapointed with a setup in a wall that probably won't even break a 146 off of this more power that your going to add.

With the 2 Sundown 1000's that you have and a wall a reasonable number that you should be doing is at least a 150. I know that the 1000's will produce a solid 800+ watts after impedence rise, unless you have an ungodly amount of rise then could be a bit less. The point is that this particular box is not efficient at all. If it's not getting loud of the power you have, it will take too much to make sense to do it.

I can do over a 150 in my car in a no wall setup off of as little as 2400 watts, and I'm not trying to compare myself to you but in a way if I'm capable of doing that you should be capable of so much more in a walled setup. Just listen to the countless cries of people telling you to build a new box first. You'll save yourself a ton of trouble and will be much happier with it when you add more power down the road.

/rant

But, but they need more power to 'come alive'

:P

But, but they need more power to 'come alive'

:P

Everybody seems to say that about the MT's...