Spencerk

Sundown EXACT same as IA and RD amps??

was i right in saying their subs are built in house? any info on those?

From what I understand, yes he builds them to order.

Rob clay: That is what I have been saying. Thanks for clearing that up :rolleyes:

Sorry, was too lazy to read through it all ;)

I was pokein around the net and I read that sundown, IA, RD and Stetsom all use the EXACT same boards built by a build house out of KOREA named ZENON. This company is supposed to make High end boards for these companies. So my question is...I have a few grand cash for my next amp why should I go with sundown when RD and IA are less if they are the same?

Sorry you got wrong info ..

now that i think of it, i remember something about a prototype being shipped to jacob, so they aren't built it house...?

Motors were shipped ...

the subs are built in house ....theres only a few companys that build there own motors

now that i think of it, i remember something about a prototype being shipped to jacob, so they aren't built it house...?

Motors were shipped ...

the subs are built in house ....theres only a few companys that build there own motors

sweet, thank you

holy fast response....OK well why no on the RD?? dare I ask?? well I know about sundown have heard nothing but good, its just the other brands arnt talked about much around these parts.

The owner of RD is a complete fucktard. No other way to say it, sorry to cuss, but he deserves that. Scamming, lying, cheating etc etc etc. There are many threads about rd audio esp on ca.com, just look in the thunderdome, there is even a sticky one lol

Ok I just read 10 pages out of 59!!! 59 pages of RD slammin...wow ok well that settles that then.

holy fast response....OK well why no on the RD?? dare I ask?? well I know about sundown have heard nothing but good, its just the other brands arnt talked about much around these parts.

The owner of RD is a complete fucktard. No other way to say it, sorry to cuss, but he deserves that. Scamming, lying, cheating etc etc etc. There are many threads about rd audio esp on ca.com, just look in the thunderdome, there is even a sticky one lol

Ok I just read 10 pages out of 59!!! 59 pages of RD slammin...wow ok well that settles that then.

The D9's are good amps, but it'll take you 6 months for him to ship you one, and you can forget it if you expect to get any warranty coverage.

Told ya ;). Here is an example on Jacobs awesomeness, This is my story, not something I heard.

I had a pair of 100.2 running dual mono to my mids. 1 went blooey, dont know why. these amps were 2 years old BTW, when this happened. So, I sent it in, Jacob sends me a brand new 125.2. I thought " awesome". Bummer was, I had a unmatched pair of amps running my mids. For 20 bucks shipping Jacob replaces my other 100.2 so I could have a pair of 125.2. WHO ELSE WOULD DO THAT?!?!?!? NOBODY.

/nuthugg off lol

Told ya ;). Here is an example on Jacobs awesomeness, This is my story, not something I heard.

I had a pair of 100.2 running dual mono to my mids. 1 went blooey, dont know why. these amps were 2 years old BTW, when this happened. So, I sent it in, Jacob sends me a brand new 125.2. I thought " awesome". Bummer was, I had a unmatched pair of amps running my mids. For 20 bucks shipping Jacob replaces my other 100.2 so I could have a pair of 125.2. WHO ELSE WOULD DO THAT?!?!?!? NOBODY.

/nuthugg off lol

customer service at its finest.

/nuthugg off lol

nuff said, he dint have to do that for ya but he did and he probably made a repeat customer out of ya...I hope I wont have any problems but if I do. I feel better about this purchase now, Thx guys

Same board or not, Sundown and Incriminator Audio both make AMAZING amps that put out well above rated, while RD is shit in a case. you cant go wrong with either Sundown or IA, you can talk to both of them on the forums here.

/nuthugg off lol

This SINGLE story is enough to make me stick with my Sundown amplifiers. Just one story out of, what I presume to be, hundreds.

And there are as many bad ones about Steve at RD as there are good about Jacob.

BTW, it is SUPER easy to take a great design and cut costs and ruin it. Why do you think some amps fail and others don't? Even from the same buildhouse? Why do you think a good speaker builder will spend as much (if not more) on his passive crossovers as he did drivers, but that car audio comp sets have crossovers you could build for $10? Component selection is critical, build is important, and board layouts well they aren't that much of a deal. It isn't like amplifier technology has changed all that much in the past 10 years.

And there are as many bad ones about Steve at RD as there are good about Jacob.

BTW, it is SUPER easy to take a great design and cut costs and ruin it. Why do you think some amps fail and others don't? Even from the same buildhouse? Why do you think a good speaker builder will spend as much (if not more) on his passive crossovers as he did drivers, but that car audio comp sets have crossovers you could build for $10? Component selection is critical, build is important, and board layouts well they aren't that much of a deal. It isn't like amplifier technology has changed all that much in the past 10 years.

Or even 10 more beyond that. It really is the components on the board(s) that make most of the difference

Indeed, my 10 was an arbitrary number...a long effin' time. ;)

Hey guys,

I use two Korean build houses for amps -- the 4500D is made in a different place than my other Korean amps. I use a Chinese build house for the SAE-1200D and future SAE models (SAE-1000D was Korean).

I am slowly tooling proprietary boards for Sundown one at a time... the SAZ-3500D is my board tooling, the SAZ-2500D is my board tooling, and I have several more in the works that I have not discussed.

Same build house does not make all the amps the same.

Support, warranty, and service also make a big difference and are the #1 reason people keep coming back to Sundown.

PS: All of the new Incriminator amps are proprietary boards for IA as well. I know the guys over at IA and they make a fine product.

/\ That post shows you Sundown's Integrity.

As for woofers -- the Z v.2 and NS v.2 (and all but the first run of NS v.1) are built here at Sundown. The NS v.2 is the result of well over a years work of testing the "Monster" prototype and the Nightshade v.1 since they were introduced... pretty slick design. I was able to use a ~50% longer coil and add quite a bit of mass (triple joint ring, thicker former, more windings, etc) with NO loss in SPL output per watt.

The motors are not built in house as it's not cost effective for us at this time -- but final assembly takes place here.

Smaller woofers are outsourced -- I've spent a few years getting to know the build houses that assemble my woofers and I am now quite familiar with what they are capable of and can make top quality drivers with them. The SA-12s have had only ONE driver fail our pre-shipment QC out of all the units sold so far. I wasn't able to get QC that good in the USA.

Hey guys,

I use two Korean build houses for amps -- the 4500D is made in a different place than my other Korean amps. I use a Chinese build house for the SAE-1200D and future SAE models (SAE-1000D was Korean).

I am slowly tooling proprietary boards for Sundown one at a time... the SAZ-3500D is my board tooling, the SAZ-2500D is my board tooling, and I have several more in the works that I have not discussed.

Same build house does not make all the amps the same.

Support, warranty, and service also make a big difference and are the #1 reason people keep coming back to Sundown.

PS: All of the new Incriminator amps are proprietary boards for IA as well. I know the guys over at IA and they make a fine product.

So in short, you are now designing your own amplifiers?

Sundown - SAZ, SAX series built by Zenon (One of the top amplifier buildhouses in Korea) to Sundown specs. 10-18 volt operating range, Strappable, Great crossover flexibility. Great Customer Service. SAE series built in China to Sundown Specs. Less expensive, Great Customer Service. SAZ - 4500D also built in Korea by another buildhouse.

Incriminator Audio - iirmc is built by Zenon to IA specs. Small footprint, Strappable, Great Customer Service, Crossover Flexibility, 10-18 volt operating range.

Stetsom - Built in Brazil, powerful, small footprint. No other experience other than what I have read.

RD - Shady owner, Shady buisness practices, Poor Customer service, Just search the net on RD audio and you will see the horror stories.

I really can't speak on "build houses" but what I can say is I am very excited at what Sundown Audio is doing and I am looking forward to finishing my new build. I have been into car audio for almost 20 years and I have never heard such a positive buzz about a company like I hear about Sundown. I can go back as far as the original "Kicker" box (yes, it was a Stillwater Designs product), I started with (2) 15" RF Series 1. I remember when I ran systems off of EQ boosters. Now to add my .02 about RD Audio. I still own these expensive paperweights because I have never even installed them. I was supposed to be competing for St--e Mi---r. He just stopped communicating with me (thank God I hadn't purchased that amp yet) Jacob a big thumbs up for what you have down and keep up the good work.

It is actually numerous RD Fail topics that are constantly being merged into the same pinned topic. ;) ;) ;)

So to reinforce the prior posts, if anyone still continues to buy RD they clearly need their head examined or they are the supreme definition of blind fanboy.

i wanna bash them too!! rd is garbage.

The D9's are good amps, but it'll take you 6 months for him to ship you one, and you can forget it if you expect to get any warranty coverage.

very true I made my first and last purchase from rd last September. I ordered the new rd 1000.1 in the beginning of September and didn't get it til late December. Ran it for maybe three weeks no problems then one day out of the blue it just pooped out. And for sure it wasn't my error because right after it took a shit I took it out and put my hifonics 1210d right in it's place and went on beating just fine. So I called rd and Steve said I'd have to pay repair cost, screw that I'm done with rd. Ordering a sundown 1200 real soon :)