CadillacMatt

I HATE San Antonio streets

Just need to vent.

This city has so many damn potholes. And they either neglect to fix them, or do such a half-ass job that they pop up with one day of rainfall. I'm blessed to be on the NE outskirts of town, in another city's jurisdiction, where they actually give a damn about the roads and I don't have to drive looking 3 feet in front of the car the whole time.

I was navigating highway 35 (literally, I was doing a pretty good job of avoiding the potholes for a while), I'm cautiously doing about 55-60 when all of a sudden I look forward and see a 4" deep , 2ft x 2ft crater in the ground directly in front of me. *BOOM* me and my passengers all had ghostly white looks on our faces, it felt like I hit a brick wall going 30MPH. I'm silently putting curses on the city planners and I can feel the front driver's side wheel is now completely out of balance. Got out to check it, don't *see* any apparent damage but I won't know until I pull it off and have it re-balanced.

On the way home, came across a row of smaller potholes in TWO adjacent lanes, I had to quickly check my mirrors and attempt to straddle the dividing line but I managed to hit half of them anyway. And don't get me started on the downtown area, which I avoid for good reason. Drainage covers sit randomly up from the asphalt about 4"-5", the edges of the roads are in pieces, and besides that everyone drives like maniacs on Mountain Dew. You might as well be crossing a minefield.

I'm so pissed off. If there's any damage to my vehicle other than the tires needing rotation I'm calling the city. Probably have to take a number behind thousands of other people in my boat.

Anyone else's city streets as wonderful and glorious as ours? //sarcasm

:madsign:

Topeka, Ks has some pretty crappy streets. Some are decent but others are pure shit. I'm glad I only have to drive there a few times a month, but my wife has to every work day.

i know what you mean and i still have more tire tread than you :(

specially when you drive by san pedro and fredericksburg :captain:

Everywhere has potholes this time of year. Freeze/thaw cycles kill roads, especially in a lot of the midwest where this happens every day (freeze at night, thaw during day) for 3 months of winter. And like you said, if they fix them during the winter their repair is likely to just mess up a day later anyway. There's not a whole lot that can be done.

Everywhere has potholes this time of year. Freeze/thaw cycles kill roads, especially in a lot of the midwest where this happens every day (freeze at night, thaw during day) for 3 months of winter. And like you said, if they fix them during the winter their repair is likely to just mess up a day later anyway. There's not a whole lot that can be done.

x2, about the only time you ever see pot holes is when the temperatures are low. Never a problem during the summer time.

I think you guys are missing the big picture.

The pot holes are due to a general lack of road repair and maintenance. Trust me, I can show you roads here that look like Thing stomped through at ANY time of the year.

The pot holes are due to a general lack of road repair and maintenance. Trust me, I can show you roads here that look like Thing stomped through at ANY time of the year.

Money has to be cut somewhere, and an easy short term cut is maintenance.

I live 7 miles from where I work and that strech of bypass has been under construction for 4 years now. They just started paving it last week.

Money has to be cut somewhere, and an easy short term cut is maintenance.

Bingo. I forgot to put that in my last post, but that's a big issue as well. Nearly every state has budget deficits, and nearly every big city does as well. Texas is actually one of the best states right now for least fiscal problems, maybe even the best, I'm not sure. States and municipalities are losing a lot of money on lower income tax/sales tax/property tax/etc. Until the economy gets better, this is what we have.

I'm not disagreeing with you that roads are bad or that you can't vent. There are potholes everywhere here as well, and I hate them just as much as you do. I worked in a tire shop so I know exactly what one pothole can do to the alignment of a car. But short of winning the lottery and giving it all to road maintenance, there's nothing we can do.

Topeka's roads have been in bad shape for years.

That's because Topeka has been going downhill as a whole for years.

South Arkansas's roads are notoriously sorry. Instead of patching holes and cracks, most of the time they put gravel over it for about 10 to 15 feet. It's so retarded when they do it on a curve. That's just asking for an accident. I can't drive to the local lake, the paved road has holes even after they dropped gravel over it. it's a miracle my oil pan is still intact. My buddy's talon busted his oil pan a few years ago driving in town, yeah our roads are that bad.

South Arkansas's roads are notoriously sorry. Instead of patching holes and cracks, most of the time they put gravel over it for about 10 to 15 feet. It's so retarded when they do it on a curve. That's just asking for an accident. I can't drive to the local lake, the paved road has holes even after they dropped gravel over it. it's a miracle my oil pan is still intact. My buddy's talon busted his oil pan a few years ago driving in town, yeah our roads are that bad.

Unrelated mr. sagat that avatar cracks me up every time I see it :coolugh:

This is true. I'm so glad we decided not to move there.

Edited by Dan208

This winter was effing brutal on the MN roads.

This is true. I'm so glad we decided not to move there.

Heck yeah. I work there as well but decided the commute from Lawrence was worth it.

san antonio rd's blow balls.. non stop.... its fucking crazy! IH 35 has mad pot holes... a road that is made to be traveled at 70+ has fucking pot holes that will distroy yout rims tires, alighment and front end and cause wrecks for sure...

i went to san antonio this weekend to pick up my new ride... and OMG even my ckick was like WTH why are the roads to bad here....

san antonio rd's blow balls.. non stop.... its pucking crazy! IH 35 has mad pot holes... a road that is made to be traveled at 70+ has pucking pot holes that will distroy yout rims tires, alighment and front end and cause wrecks for sure...

i went to san antonio this weekend to pick up my new ride... and OMG even my ckick was like WTH why are the roads to bad here....

pics of new ride :fing34: and yes ih35 and i10 are the same, even you see alot of wood or whatever on the roads of i10 lol

san antonio rd's blow balls.. non stop.... its pucking crazy! IH 35 has mad pot holes... a road that is made to be traveled at 70+ has pucking pot holes that will distroy yout rims tires, alighment and front end and cause wrecks for sure...

:thanx:

Got under the car today... back lip of rim definitely bent. Wondering if it's safe to drive like this... got a slight wobble but no air leaks.

Gonna fill out a claim form on the city's website. :bull:

my grandma's road is terrible too, i'm down there every day, weather i'm going to her house to chat or going to my buddy's house across the street, i'm on that road every day. my car is lowered about 2 inches, and if im not thinking about it going down her road i bottom out. my grandma called whatever department it is that handle's the maintaining of the roads and they said they would come check it out, about 4 months later, we got some sand in the pot holes and a bit of gravel over the top of it. that shit was back to how it was before they were done doing the whole road.

Dallas streets ain't no better

DSCN0092.jpg

;)

we're not sure on which street the bolt sheared off, but we managed to make it home on 3 shocks no problem :D