dscf2474i.jpg

No AA stickers?! :WTFBubble:

dscf2476x.jpg

dscf2477.jpg

dscf2481q.jpg

dscf24800.jpg

Carbon fiber, baby!

dscf24820.jpg

That day i didnt check the mailbox 'till about 8 pm, when i noticed my tweets showed up the same day. Very nice day it was! Photos galore!

dscf25130.jpg

dscf2515q.jpg

dscf2514.jpg

dscf25100.jpg

Sittin' on the 100.4 i've had for over a year. Super excited at this point. :dancing:

dscf2529s.jpg

Good Stuff!! What ya got in that tank back there??

I don't know if i'm very happy with the way my "pods" turned out for the mids. Aesthetically i dont really mind them, what do i expect for my first try? I now can think of a lot of things i can do differently. Ill try and explain what i did with a step by step process.

I had some mdf rings made, and formed one side of them to sit flush on the stock speaker grills, and cut out a hole to fit the carbon's basket and terminals. Put a strip of EBR between the wood and plastic grill, screwed it together from the back, and put some clear coat/paint to prevent any possible water to reach the wood.

dscf2540g.jpg

I then used some CLD tiles to deaden/seal the extra holes on the back of the stock speaker grill. A little more was added after this pic.

dscf2541.jpg

They were then wrapped in some fake leather lookin' stuff that matched my door's fake leather looking stuff. This is extremely difficult, but i blame the glue for not drying quick enough and allowing slack which caused wrinkles in the fabric. :suicide-santa: oh well, appearance doesnt matter much right now.

The factory speaker baffle has a frame behind that shields from water getting to the speaker, while still having holes and such to let air flow, so i left those on the door. These are screwed/bolted to the metal of the door. I then attached the modified speaker grills to the door, having left some material inside the ring of wood. These places allowed me to bolt the grill to the metal/factory baffle on the door. Only the first picture has been bolted/screwed in place, haven't done that step in the other pics. they are just there to show how they look.

dscf2560r.jpg

dscf2550d.jpg

dscf2549f.jpg

From sitting positions...

dscf25480.jpg

dscf2547v.jpg

I don't know what to think about them. They work, but i'm just wondering how to seal them to the door, so there is no air movement between the beauty panel on the door and the metal. Any ideas? modeling clay, maybe? Or did i just confuse everyone on what i did?

Good Stuff!! What ya got in that tank back there??

Eh just a couple little aquarium fish. nothing special. I've also got a 10 gallon in my room. Just tetra fish, mostly.

And for the hardest part of the install... Cut some holes in the door car for the tweeters. I'm sure some CRX fans would kick me for doing this. But oh well. It's done.

dscf2555t.jpg

dscf25560.jpg

Tweets in

dscf2557m.jpg

Driver door with "pod" and tweet installed.

dscf2559y.jpg

I put a thin strand of EBR around the tweets to stay in position, they fit pretty darn snug enough, but the EBR just adds to the stability.

With mids installed...

dscf25650.jpg

dscf2566r.jpg

dscf2570j.jpg

dscf25690.jpg

Wiring nest..

dscf2553b.jpg

I have the amp in, just not secured yet. Need to go get some wood to secure it back there. I'll get some pics. tomorrow of all this managed.

:fing34::fing34: How do they sound?? Make us proud on that wire managment!! :popcorn:

The pods look good!! Looks like you got your first taste of vinyl and glue.

As far as recomendations on sealing the pod to the door, I don't think it will do much good unless you seal ALL the other holes in the door.

I have seen ppl mount PVC pipe to the back of their pods to vent them into the door.

One set-up I had like this I went to an upholstery shop and bought high density foam, like you would find in a couch. I then carved a dounut ring to go between the beauty panel and metal door, the foam dounut was about 1' around. It was like a big foam gasket. The foam also keep the plastic from buzzing.

:fing34::fing34: How do they sound?? Make us proud on that wire managment!! :popcorn:

I'm loving them. But they make my door cards rattle on certain notes.. i can only hear it when i have my sub down/off though. Still, knowing it's there sucks. need to figure out what to do about that.

The pods look good!! Looks like you got your first taste of vinyl and glue.

As far as recomendations on sealing the pod to the door, I don't think it will do much good unless you seal ALL the other holes in the door.

I have seen ppl mount PVC pipe to the back of their pods to vent them into the door.

One set-up I had like this I went to an upholstery shop and bought high density foam, like you would find in a couch. I then carved a dounut ring to go between the beauty panel and metal door, the foam dounut was about 1' around. It was like a big foam gasket. The foam also keep the plastic from buzzing.

HAHA damn glue. I really think if i had used some quick dry glue (this stuff said it was, but took for ever to dry, just look at the wrinkles lol) and had used some great stuff around the ring and then carved that to the form i wanted, THEN put the vinyl on it would have turned out a lot nicer.

I don't know about the foam, with the screws where i have them, that might be an issue. If i do seal one part, ill do the rest for sure. I'm still just trying to figure it all out before i do that. I'm about to start on my new sub stage. That's really distracting from my doors. :roflmao:

** side note: my car is never this dirty inside, it's literally freezing outside with snow, and i've been focusing on the speakers, not so much the cleanliness. It need a good vacuum job and dusting, for sure! **

Popped in some Korn today. Best i've ever heard that bad. Love it! these mids really shine with those quick drumb beats from the rock/metal genre. Ill have to get some tool in there and see whats going on.

i think the carbons need more power than what this 100.4 can give them :( darn it. Finals are coming up next week so progress will be slow. I'll start talking to bromo about a box design. Have some decisions to make!

Need to make a mount for my amp. Hope i can get this done this weekend. Cant really see where to mount the wood though. I'll figure it out. I tooke the back storage bin out to run the wires, don't think i'm going to put it back it. Just complicate things. I'm pretty sure the new box or amps will cover this anyways.

As it sits, today.

dscf2573f.jpg

And the deck stuffed with RCAs

dscf2554m.jpg

Playin' in the snow.

AVALANCHE!!!! Sounds good, nice and tidy wiring awaiting the next step!

this fluffy stuff that falls from the sky, then freezes and then more falls and makes roads killer for a week. its fun though!

Video of mids! WOO!

:fing34: :fing34: :fing34:

Very Nice!! AA's for the SI!! :fing34::fing34:

Still tweaking the mids and tweets. Just downloaded Sandt's test tone files so i plan to do some fine tuning with those. Hopefully they sound even better yet. As it sits now the lower mid bass is a little lacking, i think i need to up the slope on the sub's high frequencies, and raise the frequencies sent to the tweets. On some songs "S"s are a little harsh.

Side question. Should the mids be playing "most" of the music? vocals/ kick drums / background music, while the tweeters are really only focused on high chimes, bells and whistles?

Still tweaking the mids and tweets. Just downloaded Sandt's test tone files so i plan to do some fine tuning with those. Hopefully they sound even better yet. As it sits now the lower mid bass is a little lacking, i think i need to up the slope on the sub's high frequencies, and raise the frequencies sent to the tweets. On some songs "S"s are a little harsh.

Side question. Should the mids be playing "most" of the music? vocals/ kick drums / background music, while the tweeters are really only focused on high chimes, bells and whistles?

Pretty much or you have the filter to high on the tweeters so they are dipping that low. Were do you have them crossed at? Depending on how low you are able to cross them will determine what sounds it will produce.