DarkTinman

Steve Meade's Clipping Tool

Now, I don't stalk Steve's videos but i was just looking at one of his videos that he posted up and he explains how his "Clipping Tool" works just like a oscope. I was wondering what you guys thought about this?

Personally, i think it's a really cool tool and a great idea. But at the same time i feel like it's Steve Meade just trying to get his name out again and to make more money. Just another ploy really, but it is a valuable tool it seems like.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: added video

Edited by DarkTinman

I really like the concept behind it.

Its a tool this market has been in need for a while, but still most people who really need it, won't buy it.

Take a average kid who works at minimal wage, buying budget equipment, isn't going to shell out the 100+ dollars that doesn't add anything really.

Sure it will save them in the long run, but they usually don't think like that.

I hope he haves plenty of chances to give these away, as I see getting the product out is key.

And just because your subscribed to Meades channel doesn't make you a nuthugger. I subscribed to anybody that makes videos worth watching.

I really like the concept behind it.

Its a tool this market has been in need for a while, but still most people who really need it, won't buy it.

Take a average kid who works at minimal wage, buying budget equipment, isn't going to shell out the 100+ dollars that doesn't add anything really.

Sure it will save them in the long run, but they usually don't think like that.

I hope he haves plenty of chances to give these away, as I see getting the product out is key.

And just because your subscribed to Meades channel doesn't make you a nuthugger. I subscribed to anybody that makes videos worth watching.

Yeah and i didn't even really think about it. I have been using an oscope from my buddy but this seems a lot easier and maybe more efficient!

Oh! That's me! Except i make 7.36! But i know what your saying, i think I would invest into one of these things. Really cool tool.

Seriously! Me too! But i just hate when people assume and i was just trying to explain i am not SMD crazy lol!

You already have some clipping tools....your ears.

Play some square waves at low volumes then play some sine waves to train your ears a little.

adrian.

Most wouldn't even hear the difference between quite a lot of clipping and without clipping.

I don't know if that training works,because i haven't tried it.

That clipping tool won't cost much.

To the OP, why do you say he is trying to make more money again?(If it's about the SMD subs,he doesn't makes money on that.)

He gives out money and amps and subs and components and deadeners, if you win system of the month, so i don't think he does it for the money.

And I am sure the algorithm that uses is a complete fail

Waste of money, especially since clipping doesn't hurt anything...

This is comparable to buying a "Shake Weight" and thinking it will make you look like the guy on the box...

Edited by 95Honda

I dont care whose name is one it. If it works as advertised, I can see this being a nice tool to have.

I just wonder how it would do with different test tones compared to the Oscope. If it mirrors the scope, he will sell a bunch of them since is it very simple, easy to use design with what sounds like a low price point.

Still wont help stupidity tho.Plenty of folks will still find a way to smoke some subs. HaHa

I dont care whose name is one it. If it works as advertised, I can see this being a nice tool to have.

I just wonder how it would do with different test tones compared to the Oscope. If it mirrors the scope, he will sell a bunch of them since is it very simple, easy to use design with what sounds like a low price point.

Still wont help stupidity tho.Plenty of folks will still find a way to smoke some subs. HaHa

:roflmao::sleepwerd4:

This should be priced at around $30 anything more and it would be a real big waste of money. I'd much rather have a good DMM then this and you can get a scope that will do more then you need for audio for $150.

Thanks for saving me the typing :)

This should be priced at around $30 anything more and it would be a real big waste of money. I'd much rather have a good DMM then this and you can get a scope that will do more then you need for audio for $150.

DMMs check for clipping now? :orly3: Where the hell have I been? If youre talking about an oscope, where do you get them for $150 new with warranty? Hmm...

You post an ignorant post, you get an ignorant reply :woot:

DMMs check for clipping now? :orly3: Where the hell have I been? If youre talking about an oscope, where do you get them for $150 new with warranty? Hmm...

Never said a DMM would test for clipping, but I would rather have a tool that is capable of doing more then one thing for the price. Then having something that does one thing and one thing only.suicide-santa.gif

Oscilloscope $150 http://www.tequipmen...an_hps10se.html

Never said a DMM would test for clipping, but I would rather have a tool that is capable of doing more then one thing for the price. Then having something that does one thing and one thing only.suicide-santa.gif

Oscilloscope $150 http://www.tequipmen...an_hps10se.html

Aww shit..I COMPLETELY misread the second sentence of your post lol. Sorry, I apologize

Yeah if its priced too high I feel it would be a waste. At least with a oscilloscope you can do much much more.

adrian.

Most wouldn't even hear the difference between quite a lot of clipping and without clipping.

I don't know if that training works,because i haven't tried it.

That clipping tool won't cost much.

To the OP, why do you say he is trying to make more money again?(If it's about the SMD subs,he doesn't makes money on that.)

He gives out money and amps and subs and components and deadeners, if you win system of the month, so i don't think he does it for the money.

If he doesn't care about money, tell him to quit putting videos on youtube. He makes more off youtube than a good many make in a year.

I'm not saying that's the only reason he makes videos, because he's been doing that years before youtube became popular. But I'm sure him making money has a effect on the importances.

It WON'T work as advertised and as a tool isn't necessary.

Understanding of resolution and uncertainty in measurement really alludes car audio I guess. :( :( :( :( I expect that at SMD, but not here.

Huge waste of money no matter what the price point is.

It WON'T work as advertised and as a tool isn't necessary.

Understanding of resolution and uncertainty in measurement really alludes car audio I guess. :( :( :( :( I expect that at SMD, but not here.

I see your point.

Like I said the concept is neat.

I saw this posted the other day on his channel. I'd sure like one for free :D Doubt I'd buy it unless it like 20 bucks, but free will work if its a giveaway you can win.

M5 or Impious.

Could you explain me why it is useless? and it won't work like advertised?

And M5 you do know that the guy who designed the RF 30kw amp, is making this?

Tony D'amore.

Why would the algoritm be wrong? He has a vid that shows it works almost as good as a o-scope, difference is small.

Edited by kirill007

I'm not going to claim what I am about to type as proven FACT but it is merly my OPINION.

As to the making nothing on SMD subs, and him paying the money and money for the gear he uses as giveaways.........

I CALL HORSESHIT.

Sorry but it just don't add up. I know there has to be a company or man behind the curtain here. And I mean besides Chicken. It just don't make sense.

Don't get me wrong if it is actually him shelling it out of his OWN money not money from RF, DC Alts, or Chicken then cool. I just don't see it man. I really don't.

J

Same reason clipping indicators are useless. Why not empower yourself and research distortion measurements. Then research what computation power it takes to build a real time analyzer in the frequency domain to do the calculations. Then realize how difficult it is if you do not exactly know the input frequency in the algorithm. Even more importantly, take a step back and read about average power, how and why it is defined and what little affect some clipping has on it. Completely useless and will not only give the wrong result but misinform people that they are doing it the right way. I despise the company/person bringing this to market. It is perhaps even a step worse than a capacitor. :( :( :(

^mind if you share a link? Really interested in getting more in depth about the subject. (I suppose I could google but not sure what's a "good" site)

Besides that point you made M5, one reason I see this not working "as advertised" is let's say for example I use this to set my gains on a sundown 1500 with a Fi Q. Sure the signal will be clean but who says the Q could handle that power? Or am I wrong?

Edited by beandip

^mind if you share a link? Really interested in getting more in depth about the subject. (I suppose I could google but not sure what's a "good" site)

Besides that point you made M5, one reason I see this not working "as advertised" is let's say for example I use this to set my gains on a sundown 1500 with a Fi Q. Sure the signal will be clean but who says the Q could handle that power? Or am I wrong?

I have no link, no need for me to use the internet to study it. What I went to school for and do everyday.

As for your "clean" power comment, I can tell you haven't researched power yet. Clipped power, clean power, it doesn't matter. That won't create an issue with the driver. Too much power will. This can be in the form of instantaneous (which will cause mechanical overexcursion) or average (which will cause thermal failure). Clipped or not it won't matter. Once you research how power is calculated you will understand the statement.

I've got another question for you. Why bother with "maximizing" your gains? Do some thinking over what the difference in power that is required for you to hear it will be. ;) *excludes chasing tenths on a meter of course, talking about normal users*