Sir-Lancelot

Looking for New Active Head Unit

Kinda in a jam here guys.

My Clarion HU has took a shit on me. I cant turn my volume up to test before it blinks, cuts off, and shuts everything down. After it resets it come right back on and it plays fine at a moderate to a quite loud level, but it's cutting off on me before I can get it to full volume.

I need some opinions on a new one. What I want is a Pioneer 880PRS, but I don't have time to wait around on a used one to show up. I need one now even if that means finding one that does what I need and keeping my eyes peeled for something better. The options I need are unfortunately becoming obsolete and giving way to DVD, navigation, blue ticks and all that shit. I do not want that.

What I need:

1. Active crossover: Sub, Mids, highs

2. time alignment

3. LH & Rh level controls for all RCA's.

4. EQ, the 3 band PEQ is fine that I have now, but more would be better.

5. Single DIN

Suggestions?

Selling one?

Know a man that knows a man?

Help! LOL

I'm gonna be watching this thread for when I upgrade HU myself... :peepwall:

i hate to tell you but a 880 or a older 800 PRS is exactly what you need... I love mine to death....i would scour e-bay or Craigslist or all the forums. You are on the right track with the pioneer, follow your gut on this one

i hate to tell you but a 880 or a older 800 PRS is exactly what you need... I love mine to death....i would scour e-bay or Craigslist or all the forums. You are on the right track with the pioneer, follow your gut on this one

Yeah, but that dont help me right now. lol I wish i would have already bought one now.

Let me say, I will get the Pioneer even if I have to buy something now and buy the Pioneer later.

If anyone sees one on a forum, please let me know.

I'll be watching this as well.

Haven't shoped around for any HU's lately, but your saying that, these following things

1. Active crossover: Sub, Mids, highs

2. time alignment

3. LH & Rh level controls for all RCA's.

4. EQ, the 3 band PEQ is fine that I have now, but more would be better.

5. Single DIN

are important and aren't being made in modern HU's? If these are important roles that HU's needs, than why don't they improve these technologies instead of adding new B.S.?

Along with the Pioneer HU mentioned above look for a Eclipse CD-7200 MKII.

How much are you willing to spend? Pioneer does make the new p99rs.

Eclipse is no longer made for North America.

What is your price range? I know of one but it will cost you lol

Andrew

THIS is a p99rs.... Not sure if you're looking for this one at all...

I have an Amazon gift card $300 from a spiff at my work. If possible I want to use this instead of cash.

So looking around on Amazon I have found the following..........

Alpine CDA 9887

$300 used

Alpine CDA 9886

$220/30 used

PXA H100 is $120

Been reading the Alpines are noisy? True?

Anyone have these? Opinions?

Thanks guys.

I have an Amazon gift card $300 from a spiff at my work. If possible I want to use this instead of cash.

Alpine CDA 9887

$300 used

Alpine CDA 9886

$220/30 used

PXA H100 is $120

Thanks guys.

I have the 9886 with H100, and I am very happy with the setup. What did you hear was noisy on these units?

I have a p880prs that I would sell. PM me if you're interested.

That's unfortunite that the p99rs is out of your budget. It is badass and has everything an active hu should have. You could sell all your other processors to make up some cost.

Are you sure your Clarion is damaged? It sounds like the output section its going into protect mode. Are all of your connections correct? No pinched or damaged RCA connectors/wires? I would look into your wiring and other components downstream. I don't think you are powering speakers with the Clarion's built in amp but if you are low impedence drivers or damaged drivers could cause this.

Alpine CDA 9887

$300 used

Alpine CDA 9886

$220/30 used

PXA H100 is $120

Thanks guys.

I have the 9886 with H100, and I am very happy with the setup. What did you hear was noisy on these units?

Agreed. I used to have the 9883 model and loved it. Looking into either the 9886/9887 model as well. I think the 9887 would be a better investment, but then again i havnt looked into the 9886 model enough yet.

DIYMA, I read there is a hisssss at volume.

I have a p880prs that I would sell. PM me if you're interested.

PM sent.

I see your in Canada shipping has potential to suck. lol

That's unfortunite that the p99rs is out of your budget. It is badass and has everything an active hu should have. You could sell all your other processors to make up some cost.

Are you sure your Clarion is damaged? It sounds like the output section its going into protect mode. Are all of your connections correct? No pinched or damaged RCA connectors/wires? I would look into your wiring and other components downstream. I don't think you are powering speakers with the Clarion's built in amp but if you are low impedence drivers or damaged drivers could cause this.

I would love to have the P99, but I really dont need that much processing and cant justify spending $1000 just because.

I mainly just boost the bottom on my mids a little bit to get some punch to the midbass and cut at the upper range of the 10" mid.

I dont need a bunch of EQ, but if I had it that would be okay too. lol

I dont think its wiring. I took it apart couple days ago and checked everything. Looked fine.

I am pretty sure its the slider on the face or one of those connections that is fucked. It is a poor design, IMO.

p020D785USB-f_mt.jpeg

After messing around with it today, when I push on it even at low volume it cuts out. When I turn it up it vibrates itself. lol

Was not a big investment, so no big lose.........just a pain in the ass right now.

Plus I really need a knob and not a slider for volume. lol Hard to roll the volume with a slider.

I have the internal amp turned off.

Agreed. I used to have the 9883 model and loved it. Looking into either the 9886/9887 model as well. I think the 9887 would be a better investment, but then again i havnt looked into the 9886 model enough yet.

I have seen some 9883's at good prices, but they are getting pretty dated. Isn't that HU like 8 years old now.

Cant seem to find a 9855.

I do like the 9887 and may just get it.

or save up for the p99 :peepwall:

If was still running 3way + sub, I would save up for that P99. It is VERY badass, cant deny that.

Right now I think it;s overkill for what I am doing.

Sorry to hear about your clarion man, I went through the same problems with mine last year. They just arent made like they used to be, just buy a cheapo hu and an ms-8 or some outboard processor so you wont have this problem again. Hopefully the Zcons are damaging the radio, full of win if so.

As said before search around for some 800's or 880's they are still floating around.

Yes outdated forsure. I was just referring that I was a satisfied customer with alpine. And most likely going with a newer model.

Im running a alpine 9855 right now and I love it. Im not sure if you are a member over at **** but there is a guying selling a Eclipse CD5000 for 90 bucks shipped. I believe it is a active deck also. Audio legends please correct me if im wrong. lol

Well I guess thats a illegal word on this site. But its the car audio site that ends in .org

Sorry to here you're having problems.

It seems your audio system has "committed suicide". :suicide-santa:

I know you said the p99rs is not in your budget, but give this a try and see what happens anyway.

I got mine for $983.00 w/ free shipping and this guy (jpb6061) said "allot better pricing than 6th. ave.com"

This was posted in another forum after I already had my p99rs in hand.

It's worth a shot. Good luck.

You have PM.

Edited by cobra93

Yes outdated forsure. I was just referring that I was a satisfied customer with alpine. And most likely going with a newer model.

They are nice! I just read where the quality has fallen off on the newer units. However, the 9887 is on my list.

Im running a alpine 9855 right now and I love it. Im not sure if you are a member over at **** but there is a guying selling a Eclipse CD5000 for 90 bucks shipped. I believe it is a active deck also. Audio legends please correct me if im wrong. lol

That's a sweet HU. One of the first I looked for along with the 880prs.

Well I guess thats a illegal word on this site. But its the car audio site that ends in .org

LOL

Sorry to here you're having problems.

It seems your audio system has "committed suicide". :suicide-santa:

I know you said the p99rs is not in your budget, but give this a try and see what happens anyway.

I got mine for $983.00 w/ free shipping and this guy (jpb6061) said "allot better pricing than 6th. ave.com"

This was posted in another forum after I already had my p99rs in hand.

It's worth a shot. Good luck.

You have PM.

Thanks. I will let you know how it goes.