Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

And one for Neil and Adrian

3PYRxrI.jpg

:woot:

I hate winter. Only good thing about winter is I have an excuse to be lazy. Hate the cold. Hate snow. Hate stupid people who can't drive in the snow.

I hear ya. Hate it when it gets below 40 in December.

If this winter is like last I'm going to freak out. Mother Nature donkey punched us in the nuts last year. Several feet of snow at the same time temps dropped to wind chills of something like -20...so I had to stand out in that shit for DAYS a shoveling.

I use ski gear. Ski pants, ski jacket and I found some lightweight, waterproof boots rated to -20*C. Tested the boots in the snow for quite a few hours and I've never had better boots ever. 

Seth/R2

What about Bahco?

6950/7150/8850 all use the SO dual 80 ratchet guts and rebuilds (72 on 1/4 obviously). "Made" in Spain for the Euro market. Chrome and shit isn't as pretty, but seems to me a logical compromise in particular when they are about $35 each.

SO? Bahco? never heard of them....

Rode my bike today to work, since almost all summer I've stayed with my GF and she lives close to where I work. 

Dayum, 40F weather with a T-shirt and a shell and I was sweating a lot when I got to the office. Biggest bonus is that today, compared to when I drive to work, or take the bus, it feels much warmer because of the extra exercise :D

Side by side:

9d15f130.jpg

45c52e86.jpg

45157387.jpg

8d10cd8b.jpg

cd4d4628.jpg

*obviously not my pics, but from the thread that led me to think about them

Bahco handle looks similar to some "swedish" ratchet I have. I need to check it when I get home. 

Who carries bahco ratchets? Only question is if something breaks who do you take it to? I am going to have to Google the prices to see if I need some.

Bought some new headphones today, Sony MDR-10r model, the best of the bunch I found in best buy today that I was willing to pay for. I needed some over ear units since the on ears were killing me with all the listening I've been doing on them and my Senn HD580's have died so I'm out of good units. The vocals seem lacking on 'em and wasn't willing to pay for the ones I liked the best which of course was the mistake driven by my cheap wallet. I will say though, they do an excellent job of sealing out background noise for not even being noise canceling.

My personal favorite inexpensive in ears are the klipsch s3 and the shure 215. Niether are really bass heavy like a skull candy. Both are amazingly neutral sounding and loud as hell WITHOUT distorting. Just my .02

I hate winter. Only good thing about winter is I have an excuse to be lazy. Hate the cold. Hate snow. Hate stupid people who can't drive in the snow.

werd_msword.gif

I would kill for a bare bones vehicle without the extraneous bull shit.

This, the most fun I have driving is in the E30, it may not be the fastestestest car I own but its definitely the most enjoyable

The answer is always Miata.

E30 >> Miata

NEIN!!!!

Never ever ever ever ever. 

*I hate E30's*

Drive them back to back

Seth/R2

What about Bahco?

6950/7150/8850 all use the SO dual 80 ratchet guts and rebuilds (72 on 1/4 obviously). "Made" in Spain for the Euro market. Chrome and shit isn't as pretty, but seems to me a logical compromise in particular when they are about $35 each.

SO? Bahco? never heard of them....

SO = Snap-on

Bahco = Spanish Snap-on

Who carries bahco ratchets? Only question is if something breaks who do you take it to? I am going to have to Google the prices to see if I need some.

You get a rebuild kit from a Snap-on truck.  If you snap the handle you buy a new one.

My whole jacket consists of that shell and:Base:http://www.smartwool.com/clothing/baselayers/mens-nts-mid-250-pattern-crew.htmlMid layer:http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/expedition-weight-1-4-zip-baselayer/23150129/_/A-ebSku_0310385100000080__23150129_catalog10002_en__US?showProducts=111&backToCat=&previousPage=SRC&tab=&dcolor=100*obviously the mens which is still out of stock so I can link it.That is ALL I wear when riding at -20F. At that cold I up the ultralight long johns and shell pants to include a zip in insulation layer in my pants.You'll notice, no mid layer. My mid layer is a base layer. Goal was to create one big wicking base to remove sweat as fast as possible. The Arc coats breath 2x as well and would help. My pants are eVent which breath better than the Arc and are sweet.Any shell you find in eVent is seriously worth considering.

Despite living fairly far north for all of my life, I've never taken the time or, more importantly, the expense, to build a decent inventory of "warm" clothes. I only have 4 long sleeve shirts, 3 of which are sweatshirts and all 4 are pretty ratty looking. So I think in the next couple months I need to do some buying. Last winter killed me. Coldest I can remember here, ever.

So I'm going to need coat, sweatshirts, and shoveling clothes. All warm because I freeze my ass off in anything under 45 degrees.

Would something like this work as a base layer for shoveling snow in sub-0 temperatures?

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65660?page=cresta-wool-midweight-250-base-layer-crew

Absolutely.  Merino Wool is the BEST base layer.  Just make sure it fits snug.  You don't want air gaps to ruin the beautiful material.

You may find some clearance items cheaper in your size.  Finding talls is a bitch.  

The fit shouldn't be underarmor tight, but not far off.  

This is NOWHERE near warm enough on its own, but it is fundamentally what I wear around town for 99% of the winter.

It is a down sweater.  I pay about $100 each for them on sale, but they are one hell of a midlayer for when you are doing nothing.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/microtherm-reg--stormdown-trade--jacket/38832204/_/A-ebSku_0880848907000050__38832204_catalog10002_en__US?showProducts=&backToCat=Jackets%20_%20Vests&previousPage=GNAV&tab=first%20ascent&dcolor=135

Obviously an 800 fill thick down will do more good if you are really cold blooded, but I only pull that out on days when it is UBER cold as I sweat my ass off.

^------I would probably die in that.

Ever since the arthritis happened though I'm more sensitive to cold.

Gerry makes a decent winter coat. I believe the one i have is called a 3-in-1. Has a removable inner coat which is fleece lined and the insulated part. The outer shell is waterproof. I have had it over 10 years now and still looks like new.

All I want to know is if Apple builds a car, would that motherfucker have Windows installed?

This, the most fun I have driving is in the E30, it may not be the fastestestest car I own but its definitely the most enjoyable

E30 >> Miata

NEIN!!!!

*I hate E30's*

Drive them back to back

Only jackasses drive E30's and E36's here. It's so played out, it's unreal. That's the only reason I hate them. I have a natural hate towards anything BMW because of who drives them here in Romania. 

All I want to know is if Apple builds a car, would that motherpucker have Windows installed?

No but you can bet your ass it'll have a square gas filler so you'll have to go to their gas stations to fill it up.

Back when I was deciding what car to buy, the E30 was a serious option. A bit harder to find with the correct engine (318is). I ruled it out because it was possibly older and/or rustier than a Miata, it wasn't convertible (4-seat convertibles don't have too much appeal for me) and they were not rare at all on the streets here. 

With the 2.5 liter 6cyl I'd end up paying 5-6 times the taxes I pay for a 1.8, be it Miata or E30. Not to mention higher registration tax. 

Gerry makes a decent winter coat. I believe the one i have is called a 3-in-1. Has a removable inner coat which is fleece lined and the insulated part. The outer shell is waterproof. I have had it over 10 years now and still looks like new.

I am not a fan of zip in stuff.  All separate layers gives you more flexibility and warmth.

Sometimes it is the most cost effective mechanism for purchasing.

E30 >> Miata

NEIN!!!!

*I hate E30's*

Drive them back to back

Only jackasses drive E30's and E36's here. It's so played out, it's unreal. That's the only reason I hate them. I have a natural hate towards anything BMW because of who drives them here in Romania. 

Here only women drive Miata's :P