Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

4 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

The caveat to both my last two statements is that I have a good landscape/wide lens and a faster zoom so I wouldn't ever put either of those on my camera.  Even the fast zoom change doesn't buy me anything as I'd end up deleting nearly 90% of the pictures I take instead of 10%.   A real lens makes a HUGE difference.

I think this is how I want to teach myself to shoot. I mean I could go extremely expensive and get the Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8 but I don't see the need yet. Maybe when I have $2200 to spare... lol

Shogen, if you have a FF buy the fastest 50mm that fits your needs and start there.  

It is how you should teach yourself to uss primes IMHO.  

I shoot at 1.2 as much as possible, especially when trying to "practice" shooting.  It will really help you work.

I don't see a whole ton of value in the 24-70 2.8.  Reason being is that at 70mm 2.8 isn't really fast enough.  On the bottom end of a 70-200mm that compromise makes sense but on the top end of a 24 it doesn't.  At 24mm you will regularly shoot f5.6 or higher so fast glass isn't the goal there.

A 25'ish mm pancake lens is cheap, super light and shoots wide on full frame.  Add to that a 50mm 1.2/1.4 and a 70-200mm 2.8 and you should have all you need for most situations.

1 hour ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Very nice.  I need to do that on theIS.  New stop techs put on.

Bring it up. I can do it.

All this lens discussion makes me want to buy a mig welder with an alum spool gun.

8 minutes ago, dem beats said:

Shogen, if you have a FF buy the fastest 50mm that fits your needs and start there.  

It is how you should teach yourself to uss primes IMHO.  

I shoot at 1.2 as much as possible, especially when trying to "practice" shooting.  It will really help you work.

Goals! for sure I found a very insanely nice 50mm by rokinon that is 1/4.... I noticed a lot of my photos were in the 24-28mm which is why I started out with the 28mm lens Sony offers... but you're correct I need a 50mm !

1 minute ago, ///M5 said:

I don't see a whole ton of value in the 24-70 2.8.  Reason being is that at 70mm 2.8 isn't really fast enough.  On the bottom end of a 70-200mm that compromise makes sense but on the top end of a 24 it doesn't.  At 24mm you will regularly shoot f5.6 or higher so fast glass isn't the goal there.

A 25'ish mm pancake lens is cheap, super light and shoots wide on full frame.  Add to that a 50mm 1.2/1.4 and a 70-200mm 2.8 and you should have all you need for most situations.

yes that does cover it really well... 

AND 

because of this I will start a photo/camera thread so we can post more info there although I don't know if there will be enough traffic on it I still want to have it separate since I know you fools always posting randomness in here and I don't want to interfere with that.lol

P.S. - any way you could move these last few posts to that thread? 

All Things Photo Talk

42 minutes ago, nem said:

All this lens discussion makes me want to buy a mig welder with an alum spool gun.

You want tig with a lens.

1 hour ago, Tirefryr said:

You want tig with a lens.

And gas.

As much as I would like a tig, a mig is more practical for me. Reason being my brother and FIL don't tig and they will use it time to time.

A tig and plasma cutter may come at a later time.

2 hours ago, Shogen said:

Goals! for sure I found a very insanely nice 50mm by rokinon that is 1/4.... I noticed a lot of my photos were in the 24-28mm which is why I started out with the 28mm lens Sony offers... but you're correct I need a 50mm !

yes that does cover it really well... 

AND 

because of this I will start a photo/camera thread so we can post more info there although I don't know if there will be enough traffic on it I still want to have it separate since I know you fools always posting randomness in here and I don't want to interfere with that.lol

All Things Photo Talk

They will show up in front of the first post of the thread if I do...easy enough though.

You don't want the Rokinon

14 hours ago, nem said:

Bring it up. I can do it.

I want to for sure.

18 hours ago, Shogen said:

All Things Photo Talk

Tirefryr be like YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

22 hours ago, nem said:

As much as I would like a tig, a mig is more practical for me. Reason being my brother and FIL don't tig and they will use it time to time.

A tig and plasma cutter may come at a later time.

Hypertherm for the plasma.   

Must not order wheels.

3 hours ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Must order wheels.

Which ones?

so I'm about to turn in a lease truck tomorrow morning and they said I have to pay to turn it in. Ain't that bout the dumbest thing ever

Are YOU turning it in early or is there excessive wear?  If so, that is how leasing works

On 2/2/2017 at 0:24 AM, topgun said:

Hypertherm for the plasma.   

Hypertherm makes some really good plasma cutters but man are they pricey.

I've been eyeing the XP30 from Hypertherm or maybe one from Miller as sometimes you can get them with a good discount.

1 hour ago, Tirefryr said:

Are YOU turning it in early or is there excessive wear?  If so, that is how leasing works

Nope The 2 years are up. And they haven't inspected it yet, but it's still good as new. i guess I'll find out in about another hour.

That's bullshit then.  I am not a fan of dealers.

26 minutes ago, Julian said:

Hypertherm makes some really good plasma cutters but man are they pricey.

I've been eyeing the XP30 from Hypertherm or maybe one from Miller as sometimes you can get them with a good discount.

They are worth it.   I've got the powermax 45

1 hour ago, topgun said:

They are worth it.   I've got the powermax 45

Yeah I like that they have the best consumable life of any manufacturers out there.

Though I can't help feeling guilty dropping $1200 on a machine I know I'll only use a few times a year.

I've been trying to find a used one for the last 6 months or so but every machine I've seen posted is around the same price as buying new.

Shopping for a drum machine and a looper.  Need to take practice time to another level.  My teacher wants me to record and quit my job lol