Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Picked up a bag for the flight to hold all my camera schtuff.http://www.tenba.com/Products/messenger-dna-15.aspx

Well, the wife did. Excited to see how well everything fits.

Really nice bag. I want to buy a new Camera eventually.

Anybody have great reasons to sell my gear and go Cannon over my Nikon?

J

I think Cannon makes much better gear if you want to buy the best of the best. But if you have money invested in Nikon, no reason to switch.

They are both fantastic and have their own advantages.

If you want to do a lot of studio portraits the Nikons have the ultra high mega pixels. I have never done studio shots so the ultra mega pixel thing doesn't make up for how much easier the Canon products are to use.

I do mor out doors and live action shots than portraits.

As for money invested, I don't even have a grand total sunk into the Nikon name.

I just know around the pits, and sidelines Canon is the name most often seen. I do know they are similar to the Ford vs Chevy debate. Both have their upsides but most people have a VERY strong brand preference.

J

Canon is easier to use "out and about" in their pro and semi pro bodies. More custom settings, and better button layout. IFCL metering and the top Tele zooms are next level. Nikon is better when you have complete control of the environment. And by better I mean they have some better number specs. Dynamics, colors, and megapixels. But if they are not useable I don't see the value. For concerts the dynamic range might be cool..... But the Nikon menus and button layout are silly. Of course you can learn it, but it will slow you down due to extra steps.

In the midrange stuff..... It's kind of a toss up. Low end... Well... It doesn't matter.

I started shooting Canon, because the wife did. Now I know way more about photography and the technical aspects than she does. But I already had ~$1500 invested into Canon. If I didn't I might have been persuaded to go Nikon because of the dynamic range etc.

What solidified my Canon choice is the lenses. The 70-200IS is just better. The 1.2 50mm is just better.

If I ever get into birds or something the big zooms are just better.

Will I ever have a Nikon? I'm not brand loyal, maybe... But it all depends on if they have something I want/need and if this every turns into more than a hobby job and becomes a full time job.

Right now I wouldn't blow an image up past poster size, and so the mega pixels I have now are more than enough.

Besides, if you wanna be serious about big megapixels and shit, get a medium format right?

Canon is easier to use "out and about" in their pro and semi pro bodies. More custom settings, and better button layout. IFCL metering and the top Tele zooms are next level. Nikon is better when you have complete control of the environment. And by better I mean they have some better number specs. Dynamics, colors, and megapixels. But if they are not useable I don't see the value. For concerts the dynamic range might be cool..... But the Nikon menus and button layout are silly. Of course you can learn it, but it will slow you down due to extra steps.

In the midrange stuff..... It's kind of a toss up. Low end... Well... It doesn't matter.

I started shooting Canon, because the wife did. Now I know way more about photography and the technical aspects than she does. But I already had ~$1500 invested into Canon. If I didn't I might have been persuaded to go Nikon because of the dynamic range etc.

What solidified my Canon choice is the lenses. The 70-200IS is just better. The 1.2 50mm is just better.

If I ever get into birds or something the big zooms are just better.

Will I ever have a Nikon? I'm not brand loyal, maybe... But it all depends on if they have something I want/need and if this every turns into more than a hobby job and becomes a full time job.

Right now I wouldn't blow an image up past poster size, and so the mega pixels I have now are more than enough.

Besides, if you wanna be serious about big megapixels and shit, get a medium format right?

You bring up some great points. Mine is a mid range at best DSLR. If I move to a new camera it will be for a reason, that at this moment I won't publicly discuss. It's a long shot, but maybe it will pan out.

J

I don't understand Europe.

This is frustrating.

LoL

Defeated by the French, how will I ever hold any respect ever again?

I know Sean loves France, but I fuckin hate the country and the people. The galleries are awesome, the food is good, but nothing else is, IMO, worth a fuck. Rome is so much nicer. While it is totally commercialized, the reality kicks ass.
you should gobagain the people are way nicer in Paris. They finally figured out that it is the non tipping Japanese and Chinese that suck as tourists notbus

SHoulders and neck fauking hurting this fine morning!

reads this from a massage parlor

Wonders what kind of massage ;)

no wonder ibwouldnt pay for that

Wonders what kind of massage ;)

no wonder ibwouldnt pay for that

So....... All the hotels I'm seeing around there are $3400 for a week.....

Any other tips Sean?

Rent an apartment, not a hotel. $275/night is expected in Paris. Makes a week tough.
How can I rent an apartment?
sure you are doing a week? I will ask my mom where she found apartments. When I go there I stay with friends or the company pays

Fly into Paris on the 16th and leave from Paris on the 23rd

not really what I meant. Tons of other nice places in France.

Sean, have you ever flown easy jet? Is it going to be hell? They have weird bag restrictions and it sounds like the seats will be.... Small...

I got the bag I did specifically to avoid problems with them and carrying all the equipment. They need an extra inch or so shaved off every side to guarantee I can bring it as a cabin bag. I wanted the think tank rig, but this bag is more versatile and smaller external with the same internal space.

they are stringent on all flights in Europe. Flying Malaysia air and jetstar Asia this week lol

Matt remind me in your am to ask my mom on apartments. I will text you from my sing phone

Got your text Sean.

Will do. I'm up with a horrible case of runs. Having a "blast"

wtf number is this? rofl

On Tues, my number changes from 65 to 60

Yesterday was Flemington Borough's 150th birthday. There was a parade and festival. Have two pics to share with you all.  

We were lining up for the parade and this guy came up and gave Randi a bunch bug not punch backs, funny as hell.

IMAG0348.jpg

The cruze in after the parade host by my inlaws car club. Daughters beetle, inlaws 61 fury, and 38 business coupe.

IMAG0353.jpg

It was fun and the weather was great.

Any more pics? 

I had my winter tires switched over to my other rims and got new tires put on the direction rims for the Mark.  Ordered my speed calibrator and this thing is a detail away from the classifieds.

Any more pics?

Yes, but not of the cruze in. Just the line up for the parade. I was also helping run the wife's stand during that time.

I am going to take more pictures of the 61 and 38 at some point. I can post them if you like.

So....... All the hotels I'm seeing around there are $3400 for a week.....

Any other tips Sean?

Rome was $200 / week / person. 4 people in the room, clean hotel, with breakfast. 

Damn. I usually get an apartment from Marco Umbaltini about a block from the Colosseum on Via LaBicana. I pay ~$1400 a week, nut it is 3 huge bedrooms with 3 baths. Nice joint, good people.

'spensive...

This was almost at the end of the bus route 49 IIRC. Get off the subway at Cornelia (red line) and there's a short walk to the bus station. 

Pretty far from downtown but with the 24 euro unlimited ticket it was easy. 

I don't understand Europe.

This is frustrating.

LoL

Defeated by the French, how will I ever hold any respect ever again?

I know Sean loves France, but I fuckin hate the country and the people. The galleries are awesome, the food is good, but nothing else is, IMO, worth a fuck. Rome is so much nicer. While it is totally commercialized, the reality kicks ass.

I had no interest in Rome or Italy until recently. Maybe Tuscany would have been on my list. Only 3 things in Italy that I love, Lamborghini, Ferrari and Wally.

From what everyone has said though I may love Italy more. I have a week in each, so we shall see.

:-)

I need to book an apartment soon though. We leave in 10.days lol.

I've seen a group of american tourists right when they arrived at the Pantheon. All they could ask was "Is this the Colosseum?"

Damn rotted out Toyo T1R's. I was coming home from the "in-laws" today (might I say they have very good wine) and I was chasing a minivan up a slope, wet road and in a hairpin the Miata over steered bad. Minivan was going just as fast. I need tires bad. A fucking minivan had better grip. 

Takin pics of naked chicks I bet!

Nope. It's not directly involving photography, but I will be doing some from time to time.

As of now if this happens it won't be directly happening till next summer, but planning is beginning now.

J

I am going to take more pictures of the 61 and 38 at some point. I can post them if you like.

Would love to see some more.

Does the daughters beetle have a different colored rear bumper or is it just the lighting?

J

Damn rotted out Toyo T1R's. I was coming home from the "in-laws" today (might I say they have very good wine) and I was chasing a minivan up a slope, wet road and in a hairpin the Miata over steered bad. Minivan was going just as fast. I need tires bad. A fucking minivan had better grip.

You would hate Florida. When it rains the road lets out some serious oils and makes it slicker than shit. Just taking off from a red ligh (not hammering it either) it can slide the truck completely sideways.

J