Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Well, been a bit since I've been on. Last Tuesday, the manager from the campsite we go to called us to say they have a seasonal site for us. Big "hell yeah" on that one.

Pulled in Friday at supper time with the camper, and got it on the site. It's right on the channel from the boat launch to the lake... (Channel runs between two lakes, great fishing location)

The kids can cast from the rocks right there at our site and catch & release small bass and sunfish all day.

Got out on the boat with my father in law and the boys twice Saturday, I reeled 9 bass that were big enough to keep. And Wyatt (my youngest, about to turn 4) managed to wrestle one into the boat as well.

Started raining last night, and rained all day today. Next weekend is a 4 day weekend, hoping for good weather for lots of fishing.

Got out on the boat with my father in law and the boys twice Saturday, I reeled 9 bass that were big enough to keep. And Wyatt (my youngest, about to turn 4) managed to wrestle one into the boat as well.

Except you DON'T keep bass.  Throw them back, let them get big.  Eat something else.

Except you DON'T keep bass. Throw them back, let them get big. Eat something else.

Bass are some of the best eating fish there is.

Umm, no and seriously if you do eat them eat the small ones

Seth,

Any reccomendations for wireless over the ears?

Need a pair for the gym.

J

No.

Wrong. In ear. Do not fook around with over the ears at the gym.

Don't be that guy.

In ears bother the fuck out of my ear holes. Never sits correctly, and I have yet to find a pair that can stay in my ears when I get sweaty after I cram em in.

J

I have some etymotics that have interchangable plugs, the set I use are foam, so you squish them down stick in ear then they expand. They're comfortable, cancel out 99% noise from outside world, and won't come out unless you snag the wire on something real hard.

Any link?

J

http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/mc5.html

The pictures don't show the other ear inserts. I'm not suggesting buy the same ones I got, but rather look for in ear buds with foam inserts.

I should have said it earlier, but if you like the beats than you probably won't like the MC5. They don't have bass and though some would consider them analytical sounding they start to step into the sterile sounding territory to me.

Talking about bass is making me seriously miss my old boat. Not kid friendly :(

7a187d2eaf07e8f170a9b735963f69c22_zps7fv

Still to this day haven't seen a ranger with better colors

Seth,

Need a pair for the gym.

J

J, I wish I had some real viable solutions for you, but my experience is very limited. Anything I have to offer will be second hand. My research was strictly based upon my needs (I had the amp to really open up my choices) and admittedly, my own bias to the Sennheiser sound. I would be glad to peruse the resources I used for my selection if I can get your price range and performance goals as well as your source (iPod, iPhone, Droid device, laptop, etc.). Also, what kind of wireless range and what size transmitter will you be able to use, or would you prefer Bluetooth? Do you have a big head, big ears, or any issue with clamping force and comfort?

I can understand your limitations and appreciate any help you can provide. I would be using bluetooth or if offered the wireless transmitter plug. I'd like the transmitter to be very small as it will be in my pocket or sitting on my logbook. I won't be plugging it in and leaving it. Wireless range would be under 10 ft as the source (ipod touch (gen 3 i believe) or iphone6+) would be in my pocket or sitting on my log book. I have a bigger head (7 3/4 hat size and wear a Carhartt beanie in the gym all the time) as well as slightly bigger than average ears (Polish and Italian background). As such many headphones don't go low enough to truly go over my ears.

J

Over ear looks like a no-go on several fronts. Being that these will be used in the gym, cloth cups are a must. A rather firm clamping force is also a requirement.

Bang and Olufsen has a great B&O Play H8. Negatives are leather cups, poor cabled performance and price.

Sennheiser only has one cloth ear cup model, the Urbanite XL Wireless. Negatives are poor clamping force and rather weak bottom end (contrary to their "club bass" statement). When I say poor clamping force, I mean complaints of cardio moving them around. I have also read they are highly resolving, not very forgiving.  Good source is really required here.

I'm going to toss one out there that doesn't suit my goals for you, but I think you should really consider it... The Sennheiser Momentum Wireless. Negatives, leather ear cups, V1 ear cups may be too small, but V2 issues with comfort have been fixed, and cost. The wireless are expensive, but may be worth it. I really like my Momentum On-Ears quite a bit, and my understanding is these are sonically very similar with better bottom end and top end extension.

Pendulumic S1 Stance looks great. Negatives are leather cups and again poor quality when cabled. FWIW these are stellar wireless headphones.

Shockingly Beyerdynamic does not offer a wireless headphone at this time. These are very highly regarded headphones as well, but no go.

I am still looking for something that ticks all the boxes I have imagined for you, J. I didn't want you to think I was not looking, and I will keep you up to date as I look.

Festival was pretty nice, Friday night was muddy since it rained but by Saturday it pretty much dried off at the stages. 

End of the festival was not so nice. I dropped my car keys in a shallow well; managed to recover them and ended up fighting with the GF because I wanted to open the remote to dry it. 

Last Dec I was on a skiing trip with friends, car remote stopped working when we were on the mountain, the driver side door lock happened to fall into the door the day previous, and the passenger side door lock was already broken. I pulled out the battery from the remote, cupped it in my hands and breathed on it for a minute then stuck it back in. The whole time this one guy was scoffing about how it wouldn't work until I clicked it and the car unlocked. "FUCK YOU!"

Talking about bass is making me seriously miss my old boat. Not kid friendly sad.png

You fuck bitches on that boat?!

Talking about bass is making me seriously miss my old boat. Not kid friendly sad.png

You looking to play catcher?

You looking to play catcher?

Maybe.

in the bass

Basically it is one big bed

Of course so is the kid friendly replacement

in the bass

Honestly not a fan of bass boats, but that was a sexy boat.

Not really much else around these lakes worth keeping. Need much bigger/deeper water for trout. No walleye, it's pretty much small pike ( lots of little bones) sunfish, and bass. Bass in the 2-3 lb range are great tasting, and provide a decent pan size fillet.

There are bass in the 4+ lb range in these lakes, but taste gets worse as they get bigger.

Get out on bigger lakes, and there's lake trout, splake, rainbow trout. Some of the rivers have steelhead trout. A little drive north, and you can do salmon, and walleye.

Seth,

Need a pair for the gym.

J

No.

Don't be that guy.

In ears bother the fuck out of my ear holes. Never sits correctly, and I have yet to find a pair that can stay in my ears when I get sweaty after I cram em in.

J

Never tried memory foam plugs then.

Tripple flanges work well too.

In ears were made for sweaty work. Every stage musician relies on them. They were literally made for the application of moving a lot and being sweaty.

No over the ears will hold on at all. Unless you use fabric and soft foam.... Then you will have to wring them out.

My wife has odd shapes ears and she even made the switch.

#1 you need to spend some $$$ $80-$120 range isn't gonna get you what you want... Then again it wouldn't with over the ears.

#2 you have to realize that fit can take time and trying a few fitment parts. Thankfully all the good brands come with tons of fitment varieties in the box.

#3 foam plugs and they will never slip.

If my IEMs can stay in when I was squatting 720 pounds or leg pressing 1600 and soaked in sweat you will be ok. That's with easy clean rubber too not foam.

Seth,

Need a pair for the gym.

J

No.

Don't be that guy.

I just run the wire under the shirt with my in ear to my phone in the pocket, or use those cheap clip on mp3 players to my shirt (sandisk sansa) if phone in pocket doesn't work. I don't really see how wires are a problem.

Over the ear headphones? Wire management is easy. The muffs suck for working out.

Fuck J.... You said wireless....

I am sorry. I cannot recommend anything wireless. The batteries will weigh you down and the cans will be skull crushingly tight or the momentum will shake them off your head with any fast movement.

That my opinion.

Seth,

Need a pair for the gym.

J

No.

Don't be that guy.

J

I have some etymotics that have interchangable plugs, the set I use are foam, so you squish them down stick in ear then they expand. They're comfortable, cancel out 99% noise from outside world, and won't come out unless you snag the wire on something real hard.

That is one brand that will work in the $80 price.. Maybe less.

I have seen 2 pair rust out on the wires. One on my wife and another on her friend.

Sound great, not the toughest.

Seth,

Need a pair for the gym.

J

No.

Don't be that guy.

J

Custom molded FTMFW.

That is my next big purchase for myself.

My in ears are on their last legs... Time to bite the bullet.

Get some plugs for shootin at the same time.