Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Sounds like you're losing spark on a cylinder or two.

The KM90 is only $80 more than the KM56 and the attachments are the same.

I burn only non-oxy in everything I can. Ethanol SUCKS if it isn't 85% or higher and run on an engine designed JUST for that.

I personally own uni-taskers and prefer that. more of an investment, but each tool works better.

Normally I would agree with you. In the case of the weed whip function I don't agree so much.

They still have a split in the shaft normally. So the design just adds simplicity of changing out the shafts.

I don't exactly trust the blower function to have enough power, but having a weed whip with some versatility might not be bad. Especially since the top of the line weed whips are the same price as this system.

Where I can really see this system as a help is for comercial use. Only need a couple motors and then a bunch of tools.

Really simplify the work truck.

The long handled pruning attachment I could use, but outside of that as a homeowner I don't quite understand what the other attachments are useful for.  Curious though as I like buying tools, lol

WTF:

6l80etuning.com recommends 6L90

Century Transmission 4L80

Circle D 6L80

I figured the 90 would be unified.

Normally sub 750 6L80 is fine, 850 6L90, more you want the 4L80.

Rebuild 6L80 is around $5k + torque converter 

6L90 with core, driveshafts, adapter and TCM swap over is around $6.5k

Both would benefit from a billet planet gear at +1200

4L80 $3k with core, $400 crossmember, shorter/longer driveshaft ?,$660 PCM/TCM converter + torque converter

TC in the 6 I'd just run a stock CTS-V one so I can control it with the TCM better, 4L80 probably a 2200 for $900 or so.

It's fucking ass rape either way.

Ratio

4.027 2.364 1.532 1.152 0.852 0.667

or

2.48, 1.48, 1.00, .75

Havent got around to putting a meter on it although I need to bad

I burn only non-oxy in everything I can. Ethanol SUCKS if it isn't 85% or higher and run on an engine designed JUST for that.

I personally own uni-taskers and prefer that. more of an investment, but each tool works better.

Normally I would agree with you. In the case of the weed whip function I don't agree so much.

They still have a split in the shaft normally. So the design just adds simplicity of changing out the shafts.

I don't exactly trust the blower function to have enough power, but having a weed whip with some versatility might not be bad. Especially since the top of the line weed whips are the same price as this system.

Where I can really see this system as a help is for comercial use. Only need a couple motors and then a bunch of tools.

The long handled pruning attachment I could use, but outside of that as a homeowner I don't quite understand what the other attachments are useful for.  Curious though as I like buying tools, lol

I would use it for a weed eater, edger, and most likely a blower as well.

The blower has as much power as any hand held blower until you get up to the backpack versions. The owner of the store/dealer uses the blower and loves it.

You can also get the pole saw and an extension, which is also a beast as well.

To buy an edger and string trimmer form Stihl is over $500. I can get all the functionality for sub $400 and have only 1 engine to take care of.

Seth,

Any reccomendations for wireless over the ears?

Need a pair for the gym.

J

J, I wish I had some real viable solutions for you, but my experience is very limited. Anything I have to offer will be second hand. My research was strictly based upon my needs (I had the amp to really open up my choices) and admittedly, my own bias to the Sennheiser sound. I would be glad to peruse the resources I used for my selection if I can get your price range and performance goals as well as your source (iPod, iPhone, Droid device, laptop, etc.). Also, what kind of wireless range and what size transmitter will you be able to use, or would you prefer Bluetooth? Do you have a big head, big ears, or any issue with clamping force and comfort?

I can understand your limitations and appreciate any help you can provide. I would be using bluetooth or if offered the wireless transmitter plug. I'd like the transmitter to be very small as it will be in my pocket or sitting on my logbook. I won't be plugging it in and leaving it. Wireless range would be under 10 ft as the source (ipod touch (gen 3 i believe) or iphone6+) would be in my pocket or sitting on my log book. I have a bigger head (7 3/4 hat size and wear a Carhartt beanie in the gym all the time) as well as slightly bigger than average ears (Polish and Italian background). As such many headphones don't go low enough to truly go over my ears.

J

Over ear looks like a no-go on several fronts. Being that these will be used in the gym, cloth cups are a must. A rather firm clamping force is also a requirement.

Bang and Olufsen has a great B&O Play H8. Negatives are leather cups, poor cabled performance and price.

Sennheiser only has one cloth ear cup model, the Urbanite XL Wireless. Negatives are poor clamping force and rather weak bottom end (contrary to their "club bass" statement). When I say poor clamping force, I mean complaints of cardio moving them around. I have also read they are highly resolving, not very forgiving.  Good source is really required here.

I'm going to toss one out there that doesn't suit my goals for you, but I think you should really consider it... The Sennheiser Momentum Wireless. Negatives, leather ear cups, V1 ear cups may be too small, but V2 issues with comfort have been fixed, and cost. The wireless are expensive, but may be worth it. I really like my Momentum On-Ears quite a bit, and my understanding is these are sonically very similar with better bottom end and top end extension.

Pendulumic S1 Stance looks great. Negatives are leather cups and again poor quality when cabled. FWIW these are stellar wireless headphones.

Shockingly Beyerdynamic does not offer a wireless headphone at this time. These are very highly regarded headphones as well, but no go.

I am still looking for something that ticks all the boxes I have imagined for you, J. I didn't want you to think I was not looking, and I will keep you up to date as I look.

The bass (while nice for the occasional song) wasn't a big positive for me. I liked the tight seal I could get with the ear cups (foam filled leather) and how tightly they stayed on my head.

It's looking more and more like I am being oushed into re-trying buds with a new design. So I am open to ideas.

J

She could use either set. The picture she painted of me when she was mad is nasty. 

I'm pretty bummed now, how do other couples work? I've been pushing projects more and more behind just because I spend time with her. If this doesn't work out, I shall do my best to find somebody who has a strong passion for something, doesn't have to be the same passion as mine. 

When first dating it's nice if somebody has hobbies and uses up their free time to grow and evolve. When the relationship gets serious you begin to spend more time with each other and the hobbies start to lag. Then it becomes a problem for the other person that you don't have hobbies anymore. 

Rant over, I should be working now.

Walk away.  A woman that wants you to not be you is not for you.

Sean is right. Honestly, girls with no hobbies, or who have self esteem issues can be difficult to have a relationship with unless you circle your happiness around them.

J

She could use either set. The picture she painted of me when she was mad is nasty. 

I'm pretty bummed now, how do other couples work? I've been pushing projects more and more behind just because I spend time with her. If this doesn't work out, I shall do my best to find somebody who has a strong passion for something, doesn't have to be the same passion as mine. 

When first dating it's nice if somebody has hobbies and uses up their free time to grow and evolve. When the relationship gets serious you begin to spend more time with each other and the hobbies start to lag. Then it becomes a problem for the other person that you don't have hobbies anymore. 

Rant over, I should be working now.

Walk away.  A woman that wants you to not be you is not for you.

Sean is right. Honestly, girls with no hobbies, or who have self esteem issues can be difficult to have a relationship with unless you circle your happiness around them.

J

It's definitely a give and take.

I grew up an only child with parents that worked shift work. I never thought anything of it, but at times I would have one parent get home a 5AM while the other one left at 5AM. I would get up and be by "on my own" until Noon some days. What I'm saying is I was extremely use to being by myself.

My wife on the other hand had a mom that worked at the school, took her to and from school and had the same hours. She was always with her or her sister.

So for her, time alone seems odd and for me time alone is necessary. We went through the same thing when we first started dating and even more when we got married and lived together. It's something that we've worked out and each had to learn to balance.

I've had the same feeling though about my wife having more of her own hobbies so that one doesn't feel left alone while the other is doing something. It's something we get to keep working on and figuring out.

The blower has as much power as any hand held blower until you get up to the backpack versions. The owner of the store/dealer uses the blower and loves it.

To buy an edger and string trimmer form Stihl is over $500. I can get all the functionality for sub $400 and have only 1 engine to take care of.

I edge with my string trimmer.  Handheld leaf blowers would be pointless in my yard.  I bought the biggest 2 stroke one I could find.

That is also my beef with Stihl.  The transfer to 4 stroke for yard motors I think is stupid.  They are heavy and need way more maintenance than the two stroke.  Just have to make sure that in a 2 you step up to a rebuildable one.

The big blower choices were Shindaiwa 2st or Stihl 4st.  I demoed both and the SD blew WAY harder than the Stihl.

Sean I was thinking about you when I was searching for a disc rear for the Camaro...

Not a bad deal at all on this 2012 6L90e with only 11,000 miles..

http://nashville.craigslist.org/pts/5030918710.html

Found one here for $600....but with 135k.  Since it needs a full build anyways that may not matter.  I am just confused now after my recent discussions with different 6 spd tranny experts.

Part of me wants to bulid the 90, part the 80, and part the 4 speed. :(

Sean I was thinking about you when I was searching for a disc rear for the Camaro...

Found one here for $600....but with 135k.  Since it needs a full build anyways that may not matter.  I am just confused now after my recent discussions with different 6 spd tranny experts.

Part of me wants to bulid the 90, part the 80, and part the 4 speed. sad.png

4L80e?

Stick with 6 speed!

Seems to me that you turn the truck into a drag car with a 4 speed.

It seems to me you would have more fun in drivability with a 6 speed.

I edge with my string trimmer.  Handheld leaf blowers would be pointless in my yard.  I bought the biggest 2 stroke one I could find.

That is also my beef with Stihl.  The transfer to 4 stroke for yard motors I think is stupid.  They are heavy and need way more maintenance than the two stroke.  Just have to make sure that in a 2 you step up to a rebuildable one.

The big blower choices were Shindaiwa 2st or Stihl 4st.  I demoed both and the SD blew WAY harder than the Stihl.

The 4 strokes weight less than a pound more than the 2 stroke, with no more maintenance. It is still oiled through the fuel, there is no sump or oil filled crankcase. Thanks to carb emissions most (if not all by now) professional trimmers are 4 stroke with all consumer models soon to start. Your Husqvarnas use Honda 4 strokes with crankcase oils.

Part of me wants to bulid the 90, part the 80, and part the 4 speed. sad.png

4L80e?

That is the bombproof solution, just don't really want to go backwards.

Stick with 6 speed!

Seems to me that you turn the truck into a drag car with a 4 speed.

It seems to me you would have more fun in drivability with a 6 speed.

Not so sure that it will help.  1st is useless and it has 2 overdrives.  Basically means that it is a 4spd for "driveability"

The reason I want to keep it though is different.  It is completely TCM controlled.  Figure if I don't learn how to tweak and adjust that now it will only become harder down the road.

Obviously I am torn all over the board.  The bummer would be to do the 6 speed and then have it fail in a year.  The 4 speed will NOT have that be the problem.

The 4 strokes weight less than a pound more than the 2 stroke, with no more maintenance. It is still oiled through the fuel, there is no sump or oil filled crankcase. Thanks to carb emissions most (if not all by now) professional trimmers are 4 stroke with all consumer models soon to start. Your Husqvarnas use Honda 4 strokes with crankcase oils.

My concern isn't maintenance, but repair.  2 stroke is uber simple and all parts are cheap.  I've not seen that creep that way into 4 strokes.  Being seasonal tools they sit a lot.  Sitting a lot and any shit in the gas, like ethanol (which I never buy if I can help it) and you have shit to pull apart.  In a 2st this is a 20 minute problem.  On the Stihl 4st blower it is WAY more of an ordeal.  The weight penalty when I shopped was about 25% as well which was brutal jumping from just over 20lb to nearly 30lb.  I realize they released a lighter one now, but that didn't help me when I bought and at this point I'd still pick what I did.

I also did a full comparison. The 2st seems snappier at full throttle.  Pushes bigger logs and when your leaves stack up over 12" across the whole lawn you need some balls.  In particular when they are lying on a blanket of acorns.  In high producing acorn years it sounds like it hails at my house for a week.

My wimpy 2st Echo weed whip will also throw 2" landscaping rocks >30'.  I don't need anymore power than that in a whip.  It is the lowest end professional unit they make and nearly 10 years old.  Has run perfect everytime I've needed it which is about an hour a week during warm months.

Big enough plastic to trim the trees with it too, lol

I don't have to move logs with a blower thank god.

So every cheep 2st I have used has failed in 2 years. Up to $200, got it for $160 with goodies.

They all just quit starting on me. My 4st mowers have all been Billy badass.

No way so I understand the difference between 4 and 2 stroke but my cheep 2 stroke tools (read cheep trimmers) have all failed. 3 in 5 years.

Costs more to have them tuned up than to buy a new one.