Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I'm not an Iphone person, but for 30$ I'd rock it.  

Its a tool, I use all of about 5 apps on my phone outside the phone/text/camera/email functions.  If I wouldn't have to put a case on an Iphone to get it to live I'd think about one of them.  I like my rugged Kyocera though.  

3 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

So, I need another new phone.  I'm going to switch back to Boost which has been the most reliable for me.  They currently have a deal for the iPhone 5s for $150 and I have a $120 credit with them.  I am so anti-apple that I want to say no, but any other phone I like will be at least $150 more.  Basically, I'm spending $30 for the iPhone.   Any objections to frugality?

On their webpage it has the iPhone 5s 16gb for $249.99 + $50 off and $100 Account Credit.  Should only be $100, not $150...

They have no good Android options atm price wise.  Looking at Swappa for a used Sprint phone (which should work on Boost since they are a subsidiary) there are some other choices (ie, HTC M9 for $215, Galaxy S5 $120, Nexus 5 $160, LG G3 $119, Note 3 $145, HTC M7 $70) but those would then require you use your "credit" for air time instead of a device if that is possible.  Used iPhone 5s's are going for $135 btw so you could buy it, sell it and buy something else but that sounds like a pain in ze proverbial ass.

Sean, I thought this would be a good place for the longer reply I am looking for rather than text.  Maybe someone here can benefit too.

For the CIEM molds you would recommend Starkey correct?  The IEM engineer likes their work correct? Since they have some hearing aid background why don't they do the molds in house and what makes Starkey better at that process?

I am having Alclair make mine.  My ear plugs I had Starkey make.  If you were looking at doing a custom mold around an already existing IEM then I would have Starkey or similar do it.

As I said on the phone, the first set of Starkey plugs I was given were too hard for me to sleep in.  The successive pair much softer.  The reality is of course there is almost no science in the process.  The molding is super fast and easy.  The only science would be placing the driver and opening in the right spot in your inner ear to have the response be reasonable.  For this, I would favor a dedicated CIEM manufacturer.  Exactly why I was excited that Alclair was local.

I bought these: 

http://alclair.com/product/versa-custom-in-ear-monitor/

with an added microphone for phone calls.  By no means did they sound the best out of what they had, but they are easily good enough.

I will also add that at first when I put the References in my ear they sounded completely lifeless in the midbass domain.  I expected this as it is really how ALL IEM's are in my ears.  Without blocking the whole canal, the response in the lows is minimal to non-existent.  They had to go and dig out some hearing aid ends that worked out much better.  If the low end of the customs end up being weak in comparison they will be fetching me some $$ back.  I don't expect that though as if they are truly good at blocking sound they HAVE to be sealed.

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

On their webpage it has the iPhone 5s 16gb for $249.99 + $50 off and $100 Account Credit.  Should only be $100, not $150...

They have no good Android options atm price wise.  Looking at Swappa for a used Sprint phone (which should work on Boost since they are a subsidiary) there are some other choices (ie, HTC M9 for $215, Galaxy S5 $120, Nexus 5 $160, LG G3 $119, Note 3 $145, HTC M7 $70) but those would then require you use your "credit" for air time instead of a device if that is possible.  Used iPhone 5s's are going for $135 btw so you could buy it, sell it and buy something else but that sounds like a pain in ze proverbial ass.

They give you the money off upon purchase at a brick and mortar store.

Exactly what I wanted to know Sean.  Thanks for clarifying!

You have me excited!!!

I'm sincerely hoping that what they have to offer has the mid and bass more forward Than the highs.  I fatigue extremely fast from bright speakers/cans.

I'm so excited that you found these guys Sean.  

54 minutes ago, dem beats said:

I'm sincerely hoping that what they have to offer has the mid and bass more forward Than the highs.  I fatigue extremely fast from bright speakers/cans.

Fatigue?  Fuck that, I am not listening to "bright" shit.  Flat or mid-bass biased only.

1 hour ago, Tirefryr said:

They give you the money off upon purchase at a brick and mortar store.

Then you have the either buy and sell or buy and use option IMO.  Too cheap to say no too.

1 hour ago, dem beats said:

LOL, you found them.   It was the list you linked here.  I just searched for <$400 and BAM they were the top reviewed one.  When I realized they were local and I could demo, I figured it was a no brainer.

12 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Ha, I feel the same way but my pinna are so large that any non-custom slides out a bit with just a teeny bit of pressure and destroys the bass response.  I only picked on you above as we have a very similar disease of never taking the simple, easy and cheap way out.  I am trying like hell not to go over board in this regard.....for once.

I knew where you were going. Nothing wrong with the finer things in life. We work hard, we deserve them.

12 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Especially because the environment I will use them in is horseshit.  No reason to have a pristine response where the background noise is monstrous.

You should hear my bike go down the trail right now.  People DASH off the side of the trail as I come up behind them.  Running a ton of carbide studs on dry gravel, lol.  And yes, I need summer tires but just haven't gotten to it.

I hear you there. That is the main reason I got mostly out of the car audio market. Sure, I like nice, but I can't act like whatever I do will lower the noise floor enough to justify the time and money spent anymore. Sure, my cars sound incredible sitting still, but when I am cruising at 80, or driving through downtown you can fuckin fergettaboutit.

I spend it on my home stuff.

But for quick in ear buds, my Sennheiser work good enough for me. It is everything I can do to stop myself from buying the FiiO X5 or X7 and start a portable rig, I must admit.

I've got a new audio disease that is stealing $$.  In the past year I've only bought 3 guitar amplifiers, lol.  Looking for two more guitars too, although one is for the boys.

Anybody have a good lens rental reccomendation?

The 'Pay after Delievery' function of PayPal is being a real PITA and as such I'll need to rent a lens for the festival.

J

Nearly anything with and L and the word Canon written on it.

More seriously a low f-stop prime that is in the range you need.

8 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I've got a new audio disease that is stealing $$.  In the past year I've only bought 3 guitar amplifiers, lol.  Looking for two more guitars too, although one is for the boys.

Nothing wrong with that. At least it is a productive audio hobby. Sadly my audio obsessions rarely involve any interactions from me.

12 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Anybody have a good lens rental reccomendation?

The 'Pay after Delievery' function of PayPal is being a real PITA and as such I'll need to rent a lens for the festival.

J

Where to rent?

Does adorama or B&H not work?

On 4/19/2016 at 6:22 AM, bassahaulic said:

Hi.:)

Que? ;)

I rarely eat the same meal in a month but find myself at pizzeria Lola and I made homemade as last night

On 4/19/2016 at 7:50 AM, MKader17 said:

Sub?

Super eleets mids yo!

Hop being idle for 7 hours??  Boo.