Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

On 1/16/2013 at 3:11 PM, Penguin4x4 said:

Parents are interested in juicing now. Can you really make a good smoothie with veggies? We shall see...

Yes, you can hide 2 cups of spinach in some smoothies with no affect on taste.

Use a vitamix or equivalent and not a juicer so you actually get the nutrients.

Leaving the post above for the sheer craziness that I ended up on page 2 somehow and thought I was in the present.

17 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

Yes, you can hide 2 cups of spinach in some smoothies with no affect on taste.

Use a vitamix or equivalent and not a juicer so you actually get the nutrients.

I can pick a couple leaves out, so I don't see how you're mixing in 2 cups.

11 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Is the difference between the 1.4 and 1.2 worth the extra 300 dollars in your opinion?

J

For me or someone who does video it's "worth" every cent and double it.

I do artsy portraits and a lot of the time I'm in dark dark places and cant/won't use flash.

10 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I bought the 1.4 and Matt the 1.2.  He shoots a lot more people shots than I however.

Location, time of day, and style dictate this choice.

The 1.4 Sean has made me decide I want/needed the 1.2.

If I didn't have the money the 1.4 and even the 1.8 are enough for almost anything.  The 1.2 makes a dreamworld of bokeh however and is essential at night.

On 4/22/2016 at 4:39 AM, sandt38 said:

Duh! I already knew that. Not sure where my mind is at. You going Speedball?

might as well 

i may start without the upgrade and add it a few days later just to see the difference. 

3 hours ago, dem beats said:

Location, time of day, and style dictate this choice.

The 1.4 Sean has made me decide I want/needed the 1.2.

If I didn't have the money the 1.4 and even the 1.8 are enough for almost anything.  The 1.2 makes a dreamworld of bokeh however and is essential at night.

That and if you shoot more full bodies the 1.2 brings it.  For just faces you literally can have one eye in focus and the rest of the face out.  Blows out the background huge.  That is why I figured the 1.4 was enough...but I never shoot full bodies ever.

$300 isn't much, in Canon you go from Consumer to L glass so it is more like $1000 more.  If it is that close in Nikon I'd look for reviews and see if one focuses better or does something and then evaluate the subjects you shoot.

DOF on a 50mm 1.2 on a crop with a face portrait is less than 1"

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

That and if you shoot more full bodies the 1.2 brings it.  For just faces you literally can have one eye in focus and the rest of the face out.  Blows out the background huge.  That is why I figured the 1.4 was enough...but I never shoot full bodies ever.

Yup.

I will do a face or a body part, but it's art and nothing else.

The 1.2 is also a slow as fuck pig to focus. Half pound of glass moving around in there I bet. It's for low light and bokeh and that's it.

It's not sharper. Probably softer in fact. It's heavier, slower to focus, more money, has a really far away minimum focal length.

All of that is worth it.  Every last bit. For me, where, and what I shoot it's gold.

The 2.8 70-200 isII is my real workhorse. The 50mm 1.2 is my art and low light beast.  For what I do it's so valuable.  I could give up the 24-70 and my super wide and would only barely notice for 70% of my shooting. Maybe more.

Edited by dem beats

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

DOF on a 50mm 1.2 on a crop with a face portrait is less than 1"

It feels like maybe you get 5mm of true sharp focus when up close.

Something else that matters to me is when I'm just walking around. The 1.2 is great for street shooting.

At night it's ultra dope.

I am now without a truck, sold the ole rusty bucket last night.  

Went to the store last night and played with a G4. I immediately realized how much I love the stock android pull down notifications and went home and researched stock ROMs and etc. Only way to get stock notifications is through Nexus or Moto devices stock and the rooting ROMing game sucks unless you have a Nexus. Also realized that the G4 is screen is 5.5" and any screen more than 5" is not really one hand usable for me anyways.

All the 5" screens (and one 5.2) are older models. The biggest problem (other than the older specs that aren't as future proof) is the terrible cameras on the older Android devices. I use my phone camera for all sorts of convenient things so I'm ready to have a good one.

I then realized that I could get a Moto X Pure for around the same price. The screen is bigger but the width of the phone is the same as the G4. It has a great camera, software I like and I found a deal on Swappa that included case, tempered glass screen protector, car and house Turbo charger for <$300.

If I was in the new phone market, that HTC 10 is looking pretty sweet.

HTC M9?

51 minutes ago, sandt38 said:

HTC M9?

From what I've seen its good on paper but the performance doesn't match. Particularly in the camera and battery life department. Also has sense with different notification software.

3 hours ago, MKader17 said:

If I was in the new phone market, that HTC 10 is looking pretty sweet.

Includes root ftmfw.  LG > Htc > Samsung for their bloatware if you don't root

yay....on a Spirit Airline plane.  Pray for my safe arrival lol.  Almost as bad as my $16 air Asia flight

7 hours ago, MKader17 said:

From what I've seen its good on paper but the performance doesn't match. Particularly in the camera and battery life department. Also has sense with different notification software.

Camera is decent, but not great. In comparison, my wife's V10 camera is a bit better. This is from my son's prom this weekend...

V10

3016_zps1dsga0p5.jpeg

M9

IMAG0685_zpsedhqm2wt.jpg

Battery life is decent. It is better than her V10 by a long shot. HTC phones never crash too, FWIW. They play better with Android than any other manufacturer.

On 4/23/2016 at 10:45 PM, ///M5 said:

I bought the 1.4 and Matt the 1.2.  He shoots a lot more people.

:ak2:

Yes, I am alive, barely. Food poisoning hit right before I left DC. I spent all 4 hours Thursday night flying back to Texas with my head in a barf bag. Fun. Very little flood damage here, thankfully. Managed to make the gun show, where my dad promptly purchased a Del-Ton upper/Spikes Tactical lower AR-15 kit for a song. There was a stupid cheap VEPR-12 calling my name but I just couldn't do it. :lol2:

13 hours ago, sandt38 said:

This is from my son's prom this weekend. 

M9

IMAG0685_zpsedhqm2wt.jpg

4 guys 8 dates. That's quite the accomplishment.