Would it be easyer running a 2 way active front stage by getting an active capable head unit or crossover/ processer? My amps will probley not have crossovers on them

budget? easier as in what? you could get a 80prs for $350 and control everything from the dash or you could get a minidsp for $120 with accessories and run everything via laptop. Both are easy, minidsp has alot more control/flexibility

Would an eclipses 2301 hide away eq/esp do what your saying? Friend of mine has one I could get

What about the Clarion CZ702?  Quite the powerful little HU as far as processing is concerned but priced about the same as the miniDSP.

what's the specs on the eclispe unit? 

its much easier to tune when everything is at the HU. 

What about the Clarion CZ702?  Quite the powerful little HU as far as processing is concerned but priced about the same as the miniDSP.

What about the cz500? See one forsale near me. I don't really know how to tell

After using the 80prs myself, if I ever go active again that is the only way I would ever want to do it. To be able to change things on the fly is huge IMO. 

The CZ500 doesn't have the same capabilities as the CZ702.

I've got to get a chance to play with an 80PRS one of these days.

After using the 80prs myself, if I ever go active again that is the only way I would ever want to do it. To be able to change things on the fly is huge IMO. 

Think I mite go that way. Been needing a new head unit for a while now anyway. Have had the same old Sony for like 6 years lol

I just read through the manual for the 80PRS.  I like the crossover frequencies in the CZ702 better than the 80PRS, there's just plain and simply more frequency options with the Clarion but the Pioneer has more slope options to choose from.  The EQ in the Pioneer is superior though and the DTA seems to be more user friendly.

If only there was a way to combine the capabilities of the two, it would be the perfect HU.

I just read through the manual for the 80PRS.  I like the crossover frequencies in the CZ702 better than the 80PRS, there's just plain and simply more frequency options with the Clarion but the Pioneer has more slope options to choose from.  The EQ in the Pioneer is superior though and the DTA seems to be more user friendly.

If only there was a way to combine the capabilities of the two, it would be the perfect HU.

I agree with this. I'd like to see a headunit do 1hz increments or 3hz at the least. I haven't had a chance to touch the CZ series just yet, but the double din version will be going in my blue car. I do have the 80prs in my truck and feel that I got a better sound out of my kenwood x996 with less tweaking. I now have the 80prs up to where the kenwood was but it took a ton more playing with. I do like the network mode on the pioneer vs my kenwood though. The network mode is the big selling point in most active setups anyways and that's why I went with it. It has to mean something when you can go from "front, rear, sub" to "mid, high, low" in the active world.

I think 1hz and 3hz increments would be a little too much.  However the Clarion has more frequencies to choose from on each of the filters, 25hz to 20khz & through HP on the highs (only 1.25khz to 12.5khz on the 80prs), 630hz to 10khz & through LP (only 1.25khz to 12.5khz on the 80prs) and 25hz to 10khz HP on the mids (only 25hz to 250hz on the 80prs), 25hz to 10khz & through LP (only 25hz to 250hz on the 80prs) and through & 16hz to 250hz HP (none for the 80prs) for the sub.  All slopes are -6dB or -12dB for each of those filters which is a bit limited but hell, you can almost set the SSF for the sub with the HU!  Not to mention that each of the 5 bands of the EQ can be set to any frequency in the list from 20hz to 20khz with Q slopes of 1, 3, 5, 7, and 20 for each band as well where the Pioneer's EQ doesn't appear to be parametric but graphic.  I also like the fact you can turn down each of the high/mid/sub sets of channels separately as well allowing some level matching without going to the gains on the amps.

Like I said, add that adjustability to the Pioneers better number of EQ bands plus L/R separation, being able to switch phase on the individual speaker, and crossover slopes and it would be the ultimate HU.

Who do we need to talk to about building a HU with all these capabilities? LOL

I think 1hz and 3hz increments would be a little too much.  However the Clarion has more frequencies to choose from on each of the filters, 25hz to 20khz & through HP on the highs (only 1.25khz to 12.5khz on the 80prs), 630hz to 10khz & through LP (only 1.25khz to 12.5khz on the 80prs) and 25hz to 10khz HP on the mids (only 25hz to 250hz on the 80prs), 25hz to 10khz & through LP (only 25hz to 250hz on the 80prs) and through & 16hz to 250hz HP (none for the 80prs) for the sub.  All slopes are -6dB or -12dB for each of those filters which is a bit limited but hell, you can almost set the SSF for the sub with the HU!  Not to mention that each of the 5 bands of the EQ can be set to any frequency in the list from 20hz to 20khz with Q slopes of 1, 3, 5, 7, and 20 for each band as well where the Pioneer's EQ doesn't appear to be parametric but graphic.  I also like the fact you can turn down each of the high/mid/sub sets of channels separately as well allowing some level matching without going to the gains on the amps.

Like I said, add that adjustability to the Pioneers better number of EQ bands plus L/R separation, being able to switch phase on the individual speaker, and crossover slopes and it would be the ultimate HU.

Who do we need to talk to about building a HU with all these capabilities? LOL

Apparently Coleman the owner of CT Sounds as he's trying to make everything car audio related available from him. He says he already has a manufacturer he's looking at for head units as is. Perhaps if you'd give him these ideas then he might do something with it. I don't know his extent of this subject, but maybe he'd be open to it.

Headunit ONLY for the first time, otherwise don't bother.

I would also recommend a graphic eq.  Learning how to manipulate a parametric isn't simple.  Most people really fuck things up.  Add to that independent L/R eq on the Pio and I wouldn't consider the Clarion as a viable option.

Is there any other active capable double din?

Haven't looked in years, but the older Alpine's can control the H701.

I just hate that there hasn't been an equivalent pioneer double din like the 80prs. I could see a market for it since a lot of people don't like having to pull out laptops and such and would rather have full control at your fingertips.

Weird, after looking on PPI's website it seems they made a capable double din that looks to have just about everything http://precisionpower.com/store/products/source-units/p-771nx.html#!prettyPhoto . However, I looked and seen the same unit on sonic http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_38358_Precision-Power-P-771NX.html and it's missing the copper chassis so idk. 

Same as power acoustik, no thanks

Weird, after looking on PPI's website it seems they made a capable double din that looks to have just about everything http://precisionpower.com/store/products/source-units/p-771nx.html#!prettyPhoto . However, I looked and seen the same unit on sonic http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_38358_Precision-Power-P-771NX.html and it's missing the copper chassis so idk. 

Lol, yea.... I'm gonna pass.

Trust me, the only way i'd get one is if they sent me one to test free of charge and i like it at that point. The fact that they show a copper chassis on their main site and sonic doesn't already threw me off.

I will say though that if you haven't tried their tiny p900.4 then you'd be in for a surprise. I like it enough to get a second one. It's the same amp as what Polk and Hertz both make at a fraction of the price. So while I like the amp it doesn't leave me any less hesitant about this head unit though. I'd still personally get the Clarion, and I will be doing so sometime this season if I decide to trade my kenwood 9990hd or just scoop up some minidsp's instead.

Trust me, the only way i'd get one is if they sent me one to test free of charge and i like it at that point. The fact that they show a copper chassis on their main site and sonic doesn't already threw me off.

I will say though that if you haven't tried their tiny p900.4 then you'd be in for a surprise. I like it enough to get a second one. It's the same amp as what Polk and Hertz both make at a fraction of the price. So while I like the amp it doesn't leave me any less hesitant about this head unit though. I'd still personally get the Clarion, and I will be doing so sometime this season if I decide to trade my kenwood 9990hd or just scoop up some minidsp's instead.

And that is just it, an amp is an amp is an amp is an amp.  I have a few of the Polk's (paid the same as the PPI) and they are fine.  Processing on the other hand is not.  While I prefer a parametric 99% of the para installations I've seen have been jacked since they don't understand how they work.

I just hate that there hasn't been an equivalent pioneer double din like the 80prs. I could see a market for it since a lot of people don't like having to pull out laptops and such and would rather have full control at your fingertips.

There isn't really a market for the single din, feature rich and car audio consumer don't go hand in hand.  Way over the heads of 90+% that own it which is sad since it is super simple.

I don't see any mention of bandpass and I can't find the manual on the site. Looks like junk to me anyway.

The closest is the Clarion NX702. Yes it has bandpass.

Edited by ou812