mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

Just got back from a whole day in Wisconsin.

Whole state is shedding tears.

Lol

9'ers kicked some ass. revenge for the ass kicking they gave the Vikes!

sad truth, but the Vikings suck. i have a love hate relationship though

And the value of the home has gone where? Not up like it should. And eveytime something breaks down it's on my dime. Yes there is a tax benefit, but not on utilities. Add 200-300 a month on your MTG. Then taxes, every 1200 is another 100 a month. If you have a yard you will have to maintain it. Add 100 a month to your life for cost of mower, tune ups, gass and snow blower or removal. Insurance on your home is more than rental insurance. And that is all without incedentals. I have a big yard and made some major changes inside and outside my home, but optional changes aside I have spent $1000 a year or better on random shit around the house that NEEDED to be done that on most rentals yoj wouldn't be responsible for.

Do you buy a home just for short term gain? Who cares what happens to the value of your main home if you are still living there. NEVER buy a main home as a short term investment.

Do you get a tax benefit as a renter? You still have to pay utilities as a renter.

Taxes are different in differing locales. That is one reason I love where I live. My annual taxes are under $600.

If you rent a house you usually have to maintain the yard as well. $100 a month for yard maintenance and snow removal is absurd.

Really, with regards to general home maintenance, we spend less then $100 a year. This year we did get our ass kicked as out AC took a shit and our well got struck by lightning. But I have been a home owner for 20 years, and have never taken a bath like that before.

Home ownership is a responsibility every man who is financially able should partake. It is obvious to me that Mike's career will allow him to be able to easily afford this responsibility.

And the value of the home has gone where? Not up like it should. And eveytime something breaks down it's on my dime. Yes there is a tax benefit, but not on utilities. Add 200-300 a month on your MTG. Then taxes, every 1200 is another 100 a month. If you have a yard you will have to maintain it. Add 100 a month to your life for cost of mower, tune ups, gass and snow blower or removal. Insurance on your home is more than rental insurance. And that is all without incedentals. I have a big yard and made some major changes inside and outside my home, but optional changes aside I have spent $1000 a year or better on random shit around the house that NEEDED to be done that on most rentals yoj wouldn't be responsible for.

Do you buy a home just for short term gain? Who cares what happens to the value of your main home if you are still living there. NEVER buy a main home as a short term investment.

Do you get a tax benefit as a renter? You still have to pay utilities as a renter.

Taxes are different in differing locales. That is one reason I love where I live. My annual taxes are under $600.

If you rent a house you usually have to maintain the yard as well. $100 a month for yard maintenance and snow removal is absurd.

Really, with regards to general home maintenance, we spend less then $100 a year. This year we did get our ass kicked as out AC took a shit and our well got struck by lightning. But I have been a home owner for 20 years, and have never taken a bath like that before.

Home ownership is a responsibility every man who is financially able should partake. It is obvious to me that Mike's career will allow him to be able to easily afford this responsibility.

Yikes, $600?? Mine are more than 15x that.

Every 20 years there is a given. New roof -$5k-50k, new appliances $5k-$50k, new windows, $5k-50k, new furnace, $2k-5k, new water heater/treatment etc $500-$8k, bathroom remodel $5k-50k (per bathroom). Then you add in the insecurity of buying in an area where you may not know what is desirable and you can end up really upside down.

My house is down over $400k from it's initial asking price. Neighbors house is even worse and it sold for it's asking price. Thank god in my case I offered 55% and basically got it otherwise I'd be fucked. The way it is when I sell it's a wash with throwing $1500/mo into a rental. And that is only because I am crafty and have HOURS into making it nicer.

Jumping into the biggest financial game changer of your life quickly is the dumbest thing you can possibly do. There is a time and place to buy a house. Just be aware what that is.

Go Bmore; they deserve another ring

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seahawks blew it

That was awful.

Houston looks like $hit. If I have to watch the Ravens or Gaytriots win the show I am going to shoot myself. I hate to say it, but I may be pulling for an NFC team again this year.

Excuse me?

I think the NFL really wants Brady and Matty Ice. They love Matty Ice, but seem to barely know to Flacco is.

We live in interesting times my friends. Interest rates are at historic lows and we have unprecedented levels of governmental involvement in the markets. I can't think of any time in US history where home values have gone DOWN over a decade outside of specific, regional events (example love canal or the dust bowl). I would definitely advise long term home ownership with a historically low interest rate. Please do NOT try and flip a house, this is part of what got us in this place, it will be extremely tough to pull that off in this market.

And by default if you buy barely after moving into an area it'll be a flip. No way, no how can you learn a new city that fast and end up with what you want. Sure, I tend to over shop but I don't make bad decisions and considering that this is single handedly the biggest purchase you've ever made spending some time shopping is a no brainer.

What was supposed to be my smartest investment, was the largest and worst financial mistake of my life. I am far more comfortable paying rent right now, saving a chunk of money, not having to take care of a lawn, repairing appliances and such, mega taxes, HOA's, investing more in safer and conservative areas, having freedom and flexibility, putting money into somethings that matters much more to me and give me greater enjoyment.

I think the NFL really wants Brady and Matty Ice. They love Matty Ice, but seem to barely know to Flacco is.

Wacka Flacco Flame

Five road playoff wins already in his career. He was dropping bombs all day yesterday. Harbaugh bowl would be most intriguing to me.

My Great Aunt wants to buy my mom a new car. Can't be used. Can't be much bigger than an Escape.

Ford Escape, Hyundai Santa Fe, VW Tiguan, Buick Encore, Toyota Rav4, Honda CRV, Subaru Tribeca, Kia Sorrento

Yikes, nothing I know anything about. Any lemons or mechanically better? Mom is 71 but wants nav, bluetooth, dual power seats (dad is 6'7"), safe, reliable, and not a complete pooch.

Great Aunt is pro Ford and I'm anti-GM, but the most logical buy is the one we should pursue. Any thoughts?

My Great Aunt wants to buy my mom a new car. Can't be used. Can't be much bigger than an Escape.

Ford Escape, Hyundai Santa Fe, VW Tiguan, Buick Encore, Toyota Rav4, Honda CRV, Subaru Tribeca, Kia Sorrento

Yikes, nothing I know anything about. Any lemons or mechanically better? Mom is 71 but wants nav, bluetooth, dual power seats (dad is 6'7"), safe, reliable, and not a complete pooch.

Great Aunt is pro Ford and I'm anti-GM, but the most logical buy is the one we should pursue. Any thoughts?

I think the new Escape is attractive, I kind of like the VW.

Out of your list, my mother has a Tribeca and loves it and my mil has an Escape 2011 and has had no issues with it.

Yes I am a slacker ;)

Nothing to do with can he do it, or even if he should do it. But the fact you have gotten lucky and you are smart has come a long way. And by smart I mean crafty. You know how to do home repair and are capable of doing it.

As for the costs I mention he doesn't own any of the tools or equipment. So those initial costs will be averaged over years. He is an engineer so maybe he wants to do small engine repair/maintenance. I don't. I have burned up 2 mowers and need to do some work on my brand new rider. So it easly comes to 100 or more for me. My wife also requires me to try to keep the grass and yard nice. So chimicals add up too.

YMMV but it is average here.

In that size/style.... the Acadia is one AWESOME little go getter. The 2 I have been in were at least. Without GM, I like the escape in general and if it comes with Sync it would be pretty awesome.

I don't know anything about 6'7 headroom but I always feel claustrophobic in most SUV's that size.

Know its on the big side, but the folks absolutely love their Buick Enclave.