1991 Honda CRX Si

A nice, big alternator eh. :drink40:

:morepower1:

Which one did you decide on?

A nice, big alternator eh. :drink40:

Which one did you decide on?

Hmmmmmm??

Inquiring minds want to know.

Mechman. Called DC before them, they said they were 3 weeks behind on the 180 HP. Heard that from them too many times. Asked about the 170 OEM, said they could make it in 1-2 weeks. Again, I'm done dealing with waiting on weeks from them. Called MM up, talked with Eric and he put the order on the table to be built as we spoke. Little more than i wanted to spend for the output, but worth the speed and customer service I've seen from them... I hope.

Eric seems like a pretty nice guy, down to earth and easy to talk to. Answered the phone promptly every time I called and had answers to each question I asked, with more information than I expected. I'm excited to finally have some power on the way.

Next up... figuring out what's up with my box squeaking and the new beauty panel/amp rack. :detail:

Will be waiting to hear about how :morepower1: affects your output!!! Maybe Mechman will be a consideration for what I want to do!!! So when will the new alt be in??? Should give you a little time to do work on that beauty panel!!

yea when is it coming in??? install looks amazing though!! :fing34: :fing34: :fing34:

Will be waiting to hear about how :morepower1: affects your output!!! Maybe Mechman will be a consideration for what I want to do!!! So when will the new alt be in??? Should give you a little time to do work on that beauty panel!!

He didn't give me a date. Said it should be built in a couple days, then be shipped out. So hopefully no later than sept. 2. Then HOPEfully ill be able to get it installed in time for the show on the 4th.... let's hope so! Cuttin' it close, but it should work out.

Emailed the company that i want to get my timing belt and water pump done at, see how much they would charge to throw it in. I'll keep y'all updated.

Number of Packages: 1

UPS Service: GROUND

Weight: 17.0 LBS

Scheduled Delivery: 31-August-2011

So far I'm happy :)

Number of Packages: 1

UPS Service: GROUND

Weight: 17.0 LBS

Scheduled Delivery: 31-August-2011

So far I'm happy :)

:woot::morepower1:

I'm waiting on a package as well.

Was on the other side of town visiting Elizabeth and helping her pack since monday. Came home last night at 1:30AM to have a nice package waiting for me :)

Set up an appointment yesterday with a local shop because speedfactory didn't have time to work on customer cars in my time frame. They were working on their own race cars for the same even i'm getting ready for. So dropped the car off a couple hours ago, waiting for a call to go pick it up. Getting the timing belt and water pump replaced as well. Got some photos, but left the camera in my car. Later today, and a video tonight or tomorrow.

Anyone know of songs with a nice 30 sec. high-ish frequency bass line? Box is tuned to 35, but i have no idea what to look for. I know I should get the resonant freq. but I don't have time for that right now.

The low note in the song gets pretty freakin' loud. So about the range would be nice. I know there is a program for this, but i have no idea what it is or how to work it! Little help would be awesome! If i get replies you get pics of alternator :P

Good decision on the MM alt. I battled with DC for almost a year. Their cs is down right horrible and I had nothing but problems with their alternators (the 190hp didnt even fit and the 270xp stopped working twice in less than 5 months).

Let us know how the MM alt goes.

Good decision on the MM alt. I battled with DC for almost a year. Their cs is down right horrible and I had nothing but problems with their alternators (the 190hp didnt even fit and the 270xp stopped working twice in less than 5 months).

Let us know how the MM alt goes.

:suicide-santa: :suicide-santa: :suicide-santa:

Ok, story time.

Called the shop yesterday asking for timing belt and water pump replacement and to get my alternator swapped out. Combo deal! He quoted me "high" at ~$430, I'm ok with that so i make the apmt. for 8:00 AM today. I get there and get told it will be done before lunch. Around 1 they call and say my valve cover gasket is leaking a tad, so i give them the ok to replace that for $30. So we're at ~$460. Don't hear from them, so I give them a call at 4 and the lady told me the car was done and I can go pick it up. I get there only to be told they couldn't put the new alt in because they don't have the time to do it, the electrical connections are wrong, and it wont fit without major modification.

Eff, that's a sucky loss. No more combo meal, and i'm not sure where the loss of time came into play, they had my car 8 hours! Get in to pay the bill and it's right at $490 after taxes and all. Automatically i'm asking why it still costs the same for less work than i was quoted for. His reply? "i planned to put the alternator in for free, so I'll refund your free money". That's QUOTED, straight from his mouth. I about shat myself. He left the room to leave me with the secretary that continued to complain about them moving shops and how she is having a horrible day, but still cracking jokes about my situation.

:side note:

Ran over some animal dead in the road on my way to Pullman earlier this week, had to get 2 new tires. In that process les schwabs tells me i have had the wrong lug nuts on my rims and they're surprised my wheels haven't all fallen off. Couple minutes later they come back to tell me my front drivers wheel is bent. So the damn animal bent my wheel, ripped one of my rear mud flaps off which ripped my bumper off a little, and destroyed 2 tires. Better than what could have happened, for sure. Just really sucked because i was an hour from my destination when this happened.

Happy part of that car drive? Getting 38 MPGs!

Not a good week with my car. Spent a lot of money! haha Tomorrow i plan to take a crack at replacing the alt with my dad or brother in law. See if we can figure something out. :detail:

Sorry for such a long post, just needed to vent a bit! Ill get a couple pics of the alt up now. Give me a min.

98 at idle, and 151 max

dscf3215q.jpg

dscf3217c.jpg

dscf3218k.jpg

dscf3220r.jpg

dscf3221l.jpg

Phuck man, that is some bull crap right there!

I hope your weekend goes much better than your week. Hope these boobies make you feel better :thinkingboobs:

Just one more reason to do your own work whenever possible. Most shops will rape you every chance they get, $500 to change a timing belt and water pump seems very high. I've never worked on a crx before but this is a pretty simple job that shouldn't take them more than an hour or 2. Sounds like they kept the car all day and charged you for several hours labor.

Im sorry but I wouldnt of paid that, they got you dude. Nowhere did he say anything about installing an alternator for free. How dont you have time to install the alt but you notice the electrical connections are wrong and it wont fit without major modifications?

I was late for work at the time, and I had no idea how to go about getting the price dropped. I was kinda' speechless that's how it went down. I'm 20, so i think he saw that and figured I wouldn't make a ruckus or whatnot.

Edub, I had boobies earlier this week, have to wait 'till wed. to get any more.. damn it! haha

:fing23: Just reading that made me mad almost! I couldn't imagine how you felt! You should go back there and at least figure out the hours of labor they did, what 'electrical connections' are wrong, and what in the hell took 8 hours.

P.S. I hope your luck turns around man!

Edited by Freshh

They only charged me for 2.7 hrs. labor. at $90/hr. It kinda makes sense, just seems like a whole lot for timing belt & water pump.

I have the stock alt out right now, and I'm seeing what he said about the electrical connections. The stock connection is a large green one, shown here.

dscf3226c.jpg

Which plugs into the stock alt as shown here

dscf3229c.jpg

And this is what the new unit has.

dscf3231p.jpg

I'm assuming this is because the stock unit is externally regulated, while the MM unit is internally regulated.

My question is how do i go about doing the wiring? Where does the connection that i'm holding in the last pic. (MM unit) plug into? And what do i do with the stock green connection?

Here is the schematic for the green connector.

dscf3237n.jpg

And the wire that goes from the alt to the left of the pic. continues here

dscf3238gw.jpg

Having owned a crx in the past and know how much of a bitch it is to replace the alt, its crazy to say he would do it for free. either need to remove the left cv axle, or take the motor mount loose and remove the master cylender. at least thats how my 88 dx was.

Having owned a crx in the past and know how much of a bitch it is to replace the alt, its crazy to say he would do it for free. either need to remove the left cv axle, or take the motor mount loose and remove the master cylender. at least thats how my 88 dx was.

I've got the alt. out, i just need to figure out the electrical connections now. Getting the much larger MM unit in may be a little harder than getting the stock out though :turkey:

Whoa, 90/hr is pretty steep. Sorry to hear about the inconvenience. Good luck getting it all installed.