Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

hey guys, steel toed boots recommendations?

Whatever the best red wings you can afford are. Danner are good too.

Hmmm, let me think..... There are some other good ones....

hey guys, steel toed boots recommendations?

For what purpose? Lot's of different styles/designs for different applications.

I personally wear magnum boots for work, but many wear original S.W.A.T. or 511 tactical.

Edited by nigel

Keen safety toes are very comfortable and worth a look.

I've got two pair of USA Danner boots and think they are great boots, my problem is the soles are soft and they already both need a resole since I wear the heels funny and then it hurts.  

I've got a set of Timberlands I bought two years ago for a plant trip for work and love them.  Ugly boot but really comfortable and had a 30 day money back comfort guarantee and I'll certainly buy another pair when they wear out.  They are a daily shoe for a welding/metal/fab/wood shop and they have held up very well.  

I loves my made in Minnesota Red Wings. LOVES THEM.

I've worn redwings and while I loved them, I swore by my Danners for combat boots, and Doc Martin for my normal steel toes. While not as nice as they used to be, they are still a pretty damn good boot.

J

I have docs on right now. The soles have a habit of delaminating. Rubber surround glue fixes that problem though.

As a single stay warm jacket this would work. Let you play in the snow a bit, although not for 10 hours in a day and getting all wet. Otherwise as a bystander of winter this would work well. Just don't wear it cross country skiing.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/dura-down-jacket/38832165/_/A-ebSku_0880603412000050__38832165_catalog10002_en__US?showProducts=&backToCat=Jackets%20_%20Vests&previousPage=SCAT&tab=first%20ascent&dcolor=236

Size L is ideal for a 45 chest and 36 waist. +/- at least an inch as a reference. If you need more space in the waist the non-First Ascent ones are cut more "american"

Don't need any extra room, I'm more of an athletic build. But it must have a hood. The rest of this is all German to me. I don't know what would make me go for one of these over the other. Same price. Again for shoveling snow, sitting in the cold for football games, building a snow man, etc. Not skiing, mountain climbing, etc. And this will be the main layer, no other outer layer. Maybe wool underneath on really cold days. Just want something uber warm

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83563?feat=83564-pprrright#

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/downlight-reg-stormdown-trade-hooded-jacket/38832184/_/A-ebSku_0880773175000060__38832184_catalog10002_en__US?showProducts=111&previousPage=REC&cm_sp=REC-_-PDP-_-38832206

EB makes that same coat in First Ascent and normal.  First Ascent will be athletic cut, normal won't.  Bean stuff has never fit me and I need the athletic drop, the EB stuff fits great.  Have one of their midlayer fleeces on right now. :)

Have to say I am surprised by the hood comment though...but that is because I HATE them.

Only way to get warmer with a single layer is to buy a down coat that has a built in shell.  Both of those have a reasonable outer layer that will do what you want it to.  I personally wouldn't get anything warmer as IMO in your climate it'll be too much.

Hmmm, where to eat in Napa next week.  Taking a few days to drown the sorrows of being married 10 years.

Hmmm, where to eat in Napa next week.  Taking a few days to drown the sorrows of being married 10 years.

2 over here on Monday.  

I only made it 3yrs before it was either split or make it on the news...

It was 10 in June, but I try not to leave here in summer or the heart of winter

Need to do something we are more parents than a couple

No risk, just reality of 2 people who work a ton having kids that they care for a ton.

Once I saw my boy, I felt as if my only reason for life was to raise him.  As I see it, I have no other purpose or need until he is a man.

French Laundry seems to be booked. :(

Grabbed a table at Morimoto and La Toque so far.

I really like my red wing boots. Most comfortable pair of shoes I've had.

Though I'm sure I'll eat shit on the slopes for the first day at least.

Holy crap you will smile.png

First time ever I couldn't count the times I fell. But we did not have long or steep slopes. 

Second time, in Austria, it was madness. I joined the most experienced group of co-workers (company paid ski trip) and they were going fast on black slopes. It was dreadful the first couple of days. I must have tumbled close to 7-800 feet on one occasion, I had snow everywhere. One day the fog was so thick I steered uphill and started going backwards all of the sudden

Jesus, I wish you had brought a helmet cam.

I'll have one next year :D

Don't be where you need them.

required apparently... 

thanks for the recommendations guys.