Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I prefer a conventional mattress...but perhaps for the wrong reasons.  Never spent enough time trying on the foamies as the first couple nights I slept on one I sweat like a hog.

Just take it as a note to check the oil more often. Valve train clatter is a good hint to add more oil from my experience.

First time I heard it..

Only had a quart and a halfi left or so.....

Nothing on the dipstick doesn't necessarily mean it'll lock up and die immediately from zero oil.  More than once on shared vehicles where everyone else does the maintenance I've found zero stuff on the dipstick but yet not a hint of things wrong except a bit more noise.  

Best beds made right now are Tempurpedics. Next in line is a new brand called comfort IQ. It's awesome technology.

Kingsdown would be on the list but every bed from them that I have tried in the past 3 years has been not so great.

Are they truly worth the cost? I'm at just over 3 years on my current mattress and honestly think a change may be in order since I sleep like shit.

J

I have a Tempurpedic. It is a fucking Godsend.

Best beds made right now are Tempurpedics. Next in line is a new brand called comfort IQ. It's awesome technology.

Kingsdown would be on the list but every bed from them that I have tried in the past 3 years has been not so great.

Are they truly worth the cost? I'm at just over 3 years on my current mattress and honestly think a change may be in order since I sleep like shit.

J

The new cooling tech in them is so nice.

My current mattress is a Serta Perfect sleeper Princess. I bought it after sleeping on one in a hotel and liked it. Plus needed a new one at the time. That was about 6-7 years ago.

Still miss my mattress from before. It was a beautyrest pillow top. I bought that one 13-14 yrs ago, which I think was before the mad foam layers became the craze.

What mattress do you sleep on Matt?

The wifey wants a Tempurpedic pillow she tryed out and liked. Thing is like a 120 bucks.

Edit: is a beautyrest comferpedic pillow I believe.

J

The new cooling tech in them is so nice.

It is. It won't make a hot person sleep cool magically... But it helps... And the fact that sucks is if you are a really hot, soaked in sweat most nights sleeper... It's a respiratory issue like apnea.

I prefer a conventional mattress...but perhaps for the wrong reasons. Never spent enough time trying on the foamies as the first couple nights I slept on one I sweat like a hog.

This is how I help people to understand. At night our body will heat up. Our metabolism is more active when we sleep than when we watch TV. So if someone is on a couch and in shorts and a t shirt, but then goes to bed and needs a huge comforter or anything more than a thin blanket, something is wrong or your bedroom is much cooler.

We use blankets because circulation suffers on most surfaces. It restricts blood flow and we get cold. If you have kids and visit them at night they will be burning up to the touch. They are growing repairing and they have exponentially better circulation.

Trying to make some kind of excuses about how hot a bed does or doesn't sleep ends up being a lost cause.

Ultimately, the general population sleeps on WAY too hard of a mattress.

We use too many blankets because we sleep on something without support or pressure relief.

Tempurpedic customers are 2 times as likely to never have a problem. This is based on our exchange and warranty info.

My current mattress is a Serta Perfect sleeper Princess. I bought it after sleeping on one in a hotel and liked it. Plus needed a new one at the time. That was about 6-7 years ago.

Still miss my mattress from before. It was a beautyrest pillow top. I bought that one 13-14 yrs ago, which I think was before the mad foam layers became the craze.

What mattress do you sleep on Matt?

Kingsdown. Softer than you can imagine. Made from angels feathers and kitten whispers.

It's not adjustable friendly however and it's about 12 years old or so.

It's time. It's still ok though, so it will be a gift to the BIL.

Last time we spoke about mattresses Matt, I was liking the Simmons Hatteras iirc. I haven't test drove any since then. 

Main complaints with the current one are shoulders and hips not sinking in, causing numb limbs. Waking up every time the other half moves or gets up and of course overheating. 

I see the Kingsdown has the individual wrapped coils. Only two places in the state that sell them though.

I am pretty sure I prefer inner coil over foam, individual wrapped of course.  The layers they put on top is where it gets confusing. I am sure they all have there applications. As with most things though, the right thing can be very counter intuitive. 

I guess the trick is knowing how it will feel once its broke in.

Correct. The Hatteras is a great for softness at a great price.

It sounds like your bed is way too hard Jared. If you wanted much softer and innerspring, the contender or east Hampton would be even better. The contender plush or pillowtop are both fantastic options. The pillow top might be a hair better, but only a small amount.

The east Hampton is one of my favorite innerspring beds. It's pretty awesome, but I sink much deeper than most.

I prefer a conventional mattress...but perhaps for the wrong reasons. Never spent enough time trying on the foamies as the first couple nights I slept on one I sweat like a hog.

This is how I help people to understand. At night our body will heat up. Our metabolism is more active when we sleep than when we watch TV. So if someone is on a couch and in shorts and a t shirt, but then goes to bed and needs a huge comforter or anything more than a thin blanket, something is wrong or your bedroom is much cooler.

We use blankets because circulation suffers on most surfaces. It restricts blood flow and we get cold. If you have kids and visit them at night they will be burning up to the touch. They are growing repairing and they have exponentially better circulation.

Trying to make some kind of excuses about how hot a bed does or doesn't sleep ends up being a lost cause.

We use too many blankets because we sleep on something without support or pressure relief.

Tempurpedic customers are 2 times as likely to never have a problem. This is based on our exchange and warranty info.

I for one have never gotten a better sleep than I have on Latex/Foam mattresses.

Latex is great too.

Latex and memory foam is like HDDVD and bluray. Not quite as extreme, but similar.

If you do find a latex foam mattress and it's affordable it's best to be skeptical. Better be Dunlop or talallay process and conditioned well.

Memory foam however is usually ok no matter the brand, tempurpedics conditioners and process of manufacturing makes it insanely more durable and arguably more supportive and conforming. They also make it dense in many applications.

All the other brands add a gel to increase durability/support. Some try to make a claim as the gel helps cool you, but it does not do it effectively. The gel helps the foam last longer at best.

Right now the only tech that can help cool you is more airflow, and phase change material. And you need Fuck loads of PCM to really be effective. The tempurpedic breeze line up are impressive. The will pull heat right away from you. It's claimed to regulate temperature for up to 8 hours. That's crazy.

Edited by dem beats

I usually don't trust the marketing shit in the bed world but the feedback from customers and their trending is overwhelming.

Tempurpedics possible heat retention is incredibly outweighed by the other benefits of stopping you from subconscious tossing and turning, way better circulation while maintaining support, and crazy durability.

Tempurpedics make my guests the happiest so I send them there. The new Comfortpedic IQ are the most interesting and compelling brand next to tempurpedic.

After that most coil beds are similar. Spend as much as you can on whatever is comfortable, and keep in mind that softer in general is healthier.

If your too hot, you have a respiratory issue, or you have to many blankets.

That guide will get the right bed for 90% of people.

J

The new cooling tech in them is so nice.

It is. It won't make a hot person sleep cool magically... But it helps... And the fact that sucks is if you are a really hot, soaked in sweat most nights sleeper... It's a respiratory issue like apnea.

I have apnea as well :woot:

Curious why a hard mattress is bad.  And yes, ours is firm.  Of course I was always taught that is better for your back which when looking at $20 mattresses may hold water.

The wifey wants a Tempurpedic pillow she tryed out and liked. Thing is like a 120 bucks.

Edit: is a beautyrest comferpedic pillow I believe.

When I bought my Tempur we got 2 free pillows. They offered us the $120 pillows, but I beat them up for one of the $200 pillows, and the old lady liked the $120 pillow better, so she got that. Great pillows.

Latex is great too.

Latex and memory foam is like HDDVD and bluray. Not quite as extreme, but similar.

If you do find a latex foam mattress and it's affordable it's best to be skeptical. Better be Dunlop or talallay process and conditioned well.

Memory foam however is usually ok no matter the brand, tempurpedics conditioners and process of manufacturing makes it insanely more durable and arguably more supportive and conforming. They also make it dense in many applications.

All the other brands add a gel to increase durability/support. Some try to make a claim as the gel helps cool you, but it does not do it effectively. The gel helps the foam last longer at best.

Right now the only tech that can help cool you is more airflow, and phase change material. And you need Fuck loads of PCM to really be effective. The tempurpedic breeze line up are impressive. The will pull heat right away from you. It's claimed to regulate temperature for up to 8 hours. That's crazy.

That's good to know. I typically just sleep with a fitted sheet. The girl compains she gets cold as she sleeps, yet sweats like a yetti. Especially since she always wants blankets. The room is not colder than the rest of the house either.

J

So, hard was and is recommended by uneducated doctors.

It all starts from when the first mattresses that used springs were in use. They were 3-4 layers of springs with a thin cotton, or wool pad on top. It was more sanitary than the old stuffed down/wool/etc mattress of previous centuries. Also where the term sleep tight comes from I guess. Leather belts held the system together so you would make sure it was tight before sleeping.....

Anyway these systems could be repaired and we're expensive. It was a huge investment of the average persons income. They could last decades though because of the ability to replace the top pad and the giant coil systems. Then comes industry and the innerspring mattress. The innerspring is called that because it was unique at the time to have springs INSIDE the pad. They were now an inseparable unit. They also couldn't be repaired. They were simple systems, but modular. You could put that mattress in your home without needing the specialized bed to match. Get the size right and your good. Nothing to mount.

Well they were made cheep, but cost about the same as the old beds. They wouldn't last. So from the 20's-50's people slept on horseshit, but felt it should last 30 years like those old turn of the century crazy beds because they cost the same. This was despite it was becoming less and less of the average Americans income.

So in the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's doctors and chiropractic people told their patients to buy a harder bed. Thinking it will last longer and be a better investment for their back. At that time foam was such shit softer foam was probably less dense, they also used cotton and will as a pad too. All that shit compressed bad.

So it became doctrine that hard was better, this was also a time when doctors told patients what cigarettes were healthy and what ones were not. Idiots with good intentions in power.

Well they wanted to sound smart so they used the word firm. That word not conotates support. It's the bane of my existence. Even my company uses the word firm, as they came about in the '80's.

So if someone told you to buy a hard or firm bed it's a shit load of hogwash that was sold to patients to make docs look smarter.

Our back is a 3 dimensional curve. Stressing it to be on a flat hard surface is the opposite of support. It's stretching and compression.

If you are a side sleeper like most, you are even more fucked. Shoulders and hips create intense pressure points. On a hard bed, your tissue yields between bone and hard surface(aka way too had of a bed). If it's even harder yet, or you will cause your hips and shoulders to be off axis and possibly Lloe your spine to sag between your shoulders and hips. Ouch. Best case on a hard bed, you cut off circulation. Worst case is you cause your spine to compress and stretch all night.

Best case in that scenario is you toss and turn and sleep like shit. Worst case is you exasperate a spine problem.

Aaaaaaaaaand the engine bearing is fucked.

Massive clunking and whatnot.

F.

M.

L.

Looks like the 2.7 in that car is a lemon in general. I remember reading that when I got it. Fuck.