mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

Laptop setup on BOINC Aaron. Setting up other desktop tomorrow. Let me know if you can see that I can do something better on my end as far as tweaking things for the best performance.

Higher octane is usually used when the engine uses higher compression. It has few benefits over standard pump gas in most situations, it is used to reduce "ping" and make things run smoother when needed, most engines do not benefit from higher octane ever, sometimes it will actually decrease power.

Laptop setup on BOINC Aaron. Setting up other desktop tomorrow. Let me know if you can see that I can do something better on my end as far as tweaking things for the best performance.

Cool tip (atleast I think so) so you can quickly power down your monitor but keep BOINC running.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-shortcut-or-hotkey-to-turn-off-the-monitor/

Tonight the loser will play us tomorrow.

Thanks, I feel more like myself now than when I came in?

:)

Good Morning All!!! TOP

Why do all the European versions of cars on Top Gear seem to get way better gas mileage than cars here? It seems like their standard gasoline engines get really high MPG's compared to what most cars get in America. Is it because their gas has a higher octane rating than ours? I've always wondered this.

They don't have the same emissions standards we do and they way they rate them is different. Higher octane has nothing to do with better gas mileage.

Plus I like 3.26 a gallon more than 5.00 a liter.

J

Interesting. I've heard people claim higher figures after using 93 in a car that was meant for it vs 87, but I guess it's just a case of believing what they want to believe. Thanks guys.

Interesting. I've heard people claim higher figures after using 93 in a car that was meant for it vs 87, but I guess it's just a case of believing what they want to believe. Thanks guys.

Total placebo effect.

J

That would blow.

Total placebo effect.

Kari's Volvo gets better mileage on Premium versus shit gas. Of course it was designed for it and detunes itself if you run cheap fuel.

J

That would blow.

Going up the coast to SF, we had to fill up at the only gas station for a few hundred miles, it was $5.6 , $5.70, $5.80 :trippy:

J

That would blow.

Going up the coast to SF, we had to fill up at the only gas station for a few hundred miles, it was $5.6 , $5.70, $5.80 :trippy:

That's more expensive than on our lake, lol.

J

That would blow.

Yeah I think we just got five gallons or so to get the hell out to the next place. Although I must say, it would be an absolute bitch to get a tanker all the way up that road, definitely a route where they keep going, no turning around.

J

That would blow.

Yeah I think we just got five gallons or so to get the hell out to the next place. Although I must say, it would be an absolute bitch to get a tanker all the way up that road, definitely a route where they keep going, no turning around.

Ran into a few of those roads on my way ro Riverside CA from Las Vegas NV.

J

Total placebo effect.

Kari's Volvo gets better mileage on Premium versus shit gas. Of course it was designed for it and detunes itself if you run cheap fuel.

Just for clarity, it should never be called cheap to infer that it is of lesser quality like most would think but only that it is monetarily cheaper.

The only difference in octane is stability. 87 is less stable than 93. So if your car does not predetonate on less stable fuel then running a more stable fuel only makes in marginally harder for the car to combust the gas, which would theoretically decrease efficiency.

Motherpucker, I just walked into class and it's empty. It was canceled and I completely forgot.

Motherpucker, I just walked into class and it's empty. It was canceled and I completely forgot.

Ouch.

Total placebo effect.

Just for clarity, it should never be called cheap to infer that it is of lesser quality like most would think but only that it is monetarily cheaper.

The only difference in octane is stability. 87 is less stable than 93. So if your car does not predetonate on less stable fuel then running a more stable fuel only makes in marginally harder for the car to combust the gas, which would theoretically decrease efficiency.

Cheap as in price. Very familiar with the difference ;) Almost said lower octane or used a number but gas varies in different states so I didn't.

J

That would blow.

There's a station at a lake we go to with old ass pumps that don't go past $4.00 a gallon. They're busy as hell when gas goes past 4 a gallon. Last time it did they quit selling gas

:Doh:

J

That would blow.

There's a station at a lake we go to with old ass pumps that don't go past $4.00 a gallon. They're busy as hell when gas goes past 4 a gallon. Last time it did they quit selling gas

LOL. Price went up, we went out of business.

Ouch.

We have to watch an online lecture in lieu of class so I'll just watch that now. It still sucks.